Two Chicken Recipes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
Just feel like sharing. Here are two chicken recipes fro one of my cookbooks. Enjoy.

Chicken Ole'
Though this chicken is my own creation, it uses south of the border herbs & spices to add a touch of Mexican flavor. This meal takes a while because the chicken is marinated. So plan ahead. Do the prep-work three or more hours before the actual cooking.
Ingredients:
2 pieces of chicken per person
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. fresh Cilantro
1 clove fresh garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1 cup water
3 tbs. olive oil
1/2 cup diced onion
1 sweet green bell pepper, diced.
1 tsp. ground black pepper
1 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
juice of 1 lime or 1 tbs. lime juice
1 cup shredded High quality, white Cheddar, aged 2 years or more
Mix all ingredients except chicken and cheese in a glass bowl and stir. Let sit for 10 minutes to allow the flavors to blend. Skin the chicken. Add the chicken to the bowl. (Hint: If you don't have a bowl large enough to contain all the chicken pieces, place them in a large plastic freezer bag and pour the marinade into the bag. Remove as much air as possible, seal, and refrigerate.) Cover and refrigerate for at least two hours. Boil the skins, and bones if any, for thirty minutes, remove and give to the dog. If you don’t need broth, grill those skins until crispy, lightly salt, and use as a delirious garnish, like you would crumbled bacon. Place the broth into the fridge. Later, you can remove the hardened fat from the broth and use the jelled liquid as a base for soups or gravies.
Place the charcoal into the grill and divide into 2 piles. Light the piles. While the coals are heating up, start preparing your side dishes. Check the charcoal after ten minutes. When hot, place a drip pan between the two charcoal piles and place the grill onto the kettle. Put the chicken on the grill, above the drip pan. Cover and cook for twenty-five minutes with the vents half closed. Check the chicken with a meat thermometer. The temperature at the thickest part should read 165' F. If the chicken is not done, re-cover and cook an additional ten minutes. Check it again. Remove the chicken when it’s done and serve with your favorite side dishes.
Chicken Fried Rice
I first started working with rice after I married my wife. I was living in El Cajon, California, a small town East of San Diego. The weather was constant, providing sea level air pressure with few storms, and very low humidity. My wife taught me a technique which produce excellent rice every time, in El Cajon. The problem was, that I didn't stay in El Cajon. I moved to Spokane, and then to my home state of Michigan, Upper Peninsula Michigan at that. Here, I can expect the mercury to rise and lower like a yo-yo. And the humidity swings from liquid air to dessert dryness in a matter of hours. I've seen 90' weather followed by snow in the same week. Needless to say, my odds of cooking perfect rice in Michigan are less than my odds at winning the lottery, at least with white rice.
Now for the good news. I have found a technique for cooking rice which produces the results I've fought obtain. It is simple and foolproof. It is the base of all pilaf recipes, but lends itself to virtually any rice dish. The secret, fry the uncooked rice in a couple of tablespoons of hot oil before adding water.
In this recipe, liquid ingredients and flavorings are used to provide a perfect fried rice.
The rice never comes out sticky, and is almost impossible to overcook.
Ingredients:
2 lbs. boneless chicken, cubed
4 tbs. Sunflower oil
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup long grain white rice
3 stalks sliced celery
1 shallot, chopped
1 clove minced garlic
3 stalks well washed, sliced bok choy
Heat the oil in a heavy skillet until fragrant. Set heat at medium. Add the shallots, garlic, and celery. Cook until the garlic is lightly browned. Remove everything except the oil.
Add the rice to the pan and cook, stirring frequently until the rice takes on a bright white color. Add the chicken stalk. Cover and cook for 20 minutes.
While the rice is cooking, dice the chicken and cook in 2 tsp. Sunflower oil until no longer pink on the outside. Cover and cook for an additional five minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
When the rice is done, add the chicken meat and stir all ingredients together. Serve with your favorite Asian sauce and side dishes.

Asian Chicken Meatballs
There's this great restaurant just down the road a bit from my home. They serve some fine food at this place. One of my wife's favorite dishes served at this establishment is chicken meatballs. They are good. I've had them.
Well, to make a long story short, I had to try to make something similar at home. The results of my efforts (and this is according to my wife, folks) are chicken meat balls of superior quality to the ones found at the restaurant. These are especially good with pineapple sweet & sour sauce.
Ingredients:
1 large chicken breast
2 large chicken thighs
3 stalks celery
1/2 tsp. salt
1 clove garlic
1 tsp. onion powder
1/8 ysp. Chinese 5-spice powder
1 medium egg, lightly beaten

Skin and remove the chicken from the bones and either mince in food‑processor, or run through a meat grinder. Mince the garlic and add with the onion powder to the meat. Finely chop the celery and add it to the chicken with the remaining ingredients. Mix well.
The trick to these meatballs is egg. Lacking sufficient fat to hold them together, the protein rich egg white coats each morsel of meat, acting like the fat in a hamburger. It binds them.
Shape into 1 inch meatballs and gently Saute until lightly browned on all sides. Serve with Pineapple Sweet & Sour Sauce, white rice and butter, and with steamed carrots. Arrange artistically on dark plates and serve.
Makes approximately 24 meatballs.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Binging this thread back since meatballs are a popular subject right now. These are great meatballs, and are good with rice, fried rice, or Asian noodle dishes. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

AWKK!! :LOL: Chief, my DIL calmly mentioned that we just might be having a few meatballs in the future. That was right after she peeked in the freezer when she got home from vacation.

And now you're providing me with another! Normally, I shun ground chicken (I have too many really good recipes for whole meat), I find it is often overpriced and aimed at the health nuts looking to reduce fat, plus the few times I've ever used it I found it seriously lacking in flavour.

So I see your egg provides the fat stick'em and the celery will provide crunch and texture so as not to be solid and dense.

Ok - so out comes the food processor, or the grinder, if I can find either one in the boxes.

Yummy - as always and thanks Chief for reviving the post.

Back
Top Bottom