What do you do with leftover turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After about three days of sandwiches, open faced sandwiches, What ever was left went into the stock pot for turkey soup. What ever was left over from the big day, it too went into the pot. Stuffing, mashed potatoes, everything except the cranberry sauce. That went into my tummy. I never told the kids it was turkey soup. According to them, they all hated turkey soup. Yet the pot was always empty at the end of the meal. :angel:

Funny thing yesterday, the carcass was left to the cats instead of used for soup. To each their own I guess!

What do I do with leftover turkey? Let the bird him/herself answer: Gobble, Gobble! :)
:LOL:

I just thought of this one-- turkey makes an ideal Kentucky Hot Brown Sandwich. Google it if you are unfamiliar with this plate of goodness.

I've got the turkey breast in the oven along with some carrots roasting alongside in the pan. You have to make Firsties in order to create Leftovers. :LOL:

Everyone who left here took some leftover zip loc bags of turkey & some sides too. We have a small bag left, a few sandwichs, we will only eat it once, maybe twice then it goes to the cats.

I bought a 3 lb Butterball breast for "leftovers" etc.

Turkey sandwiches - Spread one side of whole wheat bread with a combo of dried cranberries and cream cheese. Sprinkle with chopped cashews, then top with thin slices of cucumber & red onion. Place thin slices of turkey breast on top of the cucumbers & onions. Season with salt and pepper, & top with the other slice of whole wheat bread.

Turkey Tetrazzini is another favorite.

This one always blows me away. LOL

Tastes Like Thanksgiving Casserole
Tastes Like Thanksgiving Casserole Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

ETA: Forgot - Turkey Shepherd's Pie - topped w/ mashed sweet potatoes.

Last edited:
Cerise said:
I bought a 3 lb Butterball breast for "leftovers" etc.

Turkey sandwiches - Spread one side of whole wheat bread with a combo of dried cranberries and cream cheese. Sprinkle with chopped cashews, then top with thin slices of cucumber & red onion. Place thin slices of turkey breast on top of the cucumbers & onions. Season with salt and pepper, & top with the other slice of whole wheat bread.

Turkey Tetrazzini is another favorite.

This one always blows me away. LOL

Tastes Like Thanksgiving Casserole
Tastes Like Thanksgiving Casserole Recipe | Taste of Home Recipes

ETA: Forgot - Turkey Shepherd's Pie - topped w/ mashed sweet potatoes.

That one sounds really good Cerise. I bet even Hubby would eat it. Thanks for the link.

Turkey sammiches cold. It's the law! :LOL:

Turkey Panini's. On fresh sourdough bread.

Turkey Egg Rolls. Stir fry the Chinese chicken.

Time to play with the pie maker mess with some other ideas with the left overs.

Funny thing yesterday, the carcass was left to the cats instead of used for soup. To each their own I guess!

I decided a few years ago that I would not boil another turkey carcass. I got the Meat off and the rest went into the trash. No more T-Day night sessions until 2 am, picking at the darn thing. I've had relaxed T-Days since.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I decided a few years ago that I would not boil another turkey carcass. I got the Meat off and the rest went into the trash. No more T-Day night sessions until 2 am, picking at the darn thing. I've had relaxed T-Days since.

It is actually fun to watch the cats when they pull at the little pieces of meat. They almost look like wild cats. I don't have any cats now, so when we finish cleaning the meat from the bones, it goes in the trash too. I even use a disposable pan so I can toss that in the trash too.

I got a kick out of my two with the ham, they were purring as they ate. I'd never heard them do that before.

PrincessFiona60 said:
I got a kick out of my two with the ham, they were purring as they ate. I'd never heard them do that before.

My cat we used to have would so that with the crispy skin from salmon. So cute. Those little wild animals! LOL

Another idea re leftovers... I watched the local News prior to Thanksgiving, & a chef added beaten eggs etc. to leftover stuffing to make stuffing dumplings for turkey soup.

I alway put the remaining turkey in the fridge after the meal.

The following morning, I strip and package the meat for sandwiches and leftover dishes.

The carcass then goes into the pot and gets basically cooked to death. It's done when the bones fall apart.

I then strain off the stock, throwing all the rest away. I don't pick bother to pick out the bits of meat, I've got plenty of meat left.

I love using turkey stock to make beans, soups and stews. Very rich.

Last edited:
We went to a very nice family gathering on Thursday, and brought home to BIL's the turkey carcass that was about to be pitched. I found a big pot at his house, added some herbs, onion, celery, and cooked the heck out of it. Then refrigerated, scooped the fat off it the next day and stuck it in BIL's freezer in a ziplock.

Zhizara said:

The following morning, I strip and package the meat for sandwiches and leftover dishes.

The carcass then goes into the pot and gets basically cooked to death. It's done when the bones fall apart.

I then strain off the stock, throwing all the rest away. I don't pick bother to pick out the bits of meat, I've got plenty of meat left.

That's how I make turkey stock too. It's just not worth the effort to pick all the near tasteless bits of meat out. The flavor has already gone to the broth anyway.

+1

Thanksgiving soup!! I make dumplings out of the leftover stuffing (just mix in some egg whites, depending on how much you have, and brown in a frying pan), and add any leftover veggies, and cranberry. (Also add celery, poultry seasonings, carrots, onions... You know, soup stuff) Mmmmm

I'm usually back at work the next day. Have to get that done the night before. Oh well.on-starter for me this year anyway. I did ham and had no problem getting it broke down for the next meals.

Back
Top Bottom