What do you do with leftover turkey?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm usually back at work the next day. Have to get that done the night before. Oh well.on-starter for me this year anyway. I did ham and had no problem getting it broke down for the next meals.

A lot of companies in this state offer the employees a swap. You can have the day after Thanksgiving off and work Veterans day instead. Almost all go for the day after off deal. But in your profession, you just don't get those offers too often, if at all. Public Service workers give up a lot of family life. That is why my son is going into teaching and working in the ER only one day a week. :angel:

I'd be able to take off from work if the Gov't didn't have such strict deadlines on admit paperwork for Medicare. Someone has to be in the office at least every two days in order to hit the deadlines and since I'm the only one who lives in town...

Last edited:
I'm usually back at work the next day. Have to get that done the night before. Oh well.on-starter for me this year anyway. I did ham and had no problem getting it broke down for the next meals.

I'm coveting your ham bone. What are you going to make with it?

Thanksgiving soup!! I make dumplings out of the leftover stuffing (just mix in some egg whites, depending on how much you have, and brown in a frying pan), and add any leftover veggies, and cranberry. (Also add celery, poultry seasonings, carrots, onions... You know, soup stuff) Mmmmm

You are a genius. That sounds so incredibly good.

Another great turkey idea, if no one has yet posted it, is to mince some of the cooked turkey, and combine it with some grated, smoked gouda. Use it to fill home made ravioli, and sauce with a turkey veloute, or a mornay sauce.

You could change that filling to turkey and spinach, or turkey and dressing, or turkey and sun-dried tomato, or, well, you get the idea.:mrgreen:

Thinking about turkey, I bet it would be great on pizza. Hmmmm.

Seeeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

OH, I forgot. I have to have at least one turkey and dressing sandwich on whole grain bread, with both slices of bread smeared with Miracle Whip salad dressing, and the turkey seasoned with salt and pepper. It's a law of the universe.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm coveting your ham bone. What are you going to make with it?

I have Split Pea soup in mind, a good size batch I can divide and freeze.:pig: I also kept all the liquid cooked out of the ham...that should make a great base for some lentil soup.

Traveled for T-day so we didn't get any leftovers but my SIL did make a nice stew with turkey,barley and butternut squash. I came home and went to the store and bought 3 turkeys. I just have to make my own.

I like to make to make turkey mole enchiladas,soups and stews,curry and walnut turkey salad,open face sammies with gravy.

I have Split Pea soup in mind, a good size batch I can divide and freeze.:pig: I also kept all the liquid cooked out of the ham...that should make a great base for some lentil soup.

Sounds good. I need to make some too, but I'll have to use some turkey ham (Jenni-O) it's good enough, especially without a ham bone.

I need to get another fresh ham to cook, but first have to thin down the overstuffed freezer!

We had a small turkey and 7 people, so there wasn't as much left over as usual. After a few sandwiches, the rest went into a soup, with stock made using the carcass and wings. :chef:

We had a small turkey and 7 people, so there wasn't as much left over as usual. After a few sandwiches, the rest went into a soup, with stock made using the carcass and wings. :chef:

I must have a strange family. We like the legs, wings and neck. Only the neck makes it into stock for the gravy. then I get to pick the meat out between the bones. The wings get nibbled on. :angel:

I must have a strange family. We like the legs, wings and neck. Only the neck makes it into stock for the gravy. then I get to pick the meat out between the bones. The wings get nibbled on. :angel:

My grandma and uncle fight over the neck. We make them cut it in half lol

Also, an organization I belong to has an annual membership meeting on the first Saturday in December, with a potluck brunch; I always make a quiche with turkey, Havarti, roasted red peppers and caramelized onions for that.
Sounds DELICIOUS!!!! :yum:

Turkey Sandwich,Turkey Sandwich,Turkey Sandwich and a Turkey Sandwich. ;)

Did I say I like Turkey sandwiches? :)

OH, I forgot. I have to have at least one turkey and dressing sandwich on whole grain bread, with both slices of bread smeared with Miracle Whip salad dressing, and the turkey seasoned with salt and pepper. It's a law of the universe.

YES YES and YES!!! Leftovers almost always go into sandwiches, although some gets fried into a "turkey day" omelette the next morning. I make two different sandwiches out of it - one is a "Thanksgiving" sandwich which is basically all leftovers on bread (mashed potatoes, yams, turkey, gravy, stuffing, etc etc). So good!

The other is a turkey salad sandwich - turkey goes into the food processor and is then mixed with diced carrots, onions & celery, mayo, a squirt of mustard, garlic powder, basil & a liberal amount of fresh ground pepper. You can spread that onto bread with some cheese, or take things up a notch and grill that sandwich.

Now I'm sad that Canadian Thanksgiving was over a month ago... I wish I had leftover turkey right now.

While the turkey was roasting, I used the neck, gizzard and heart to make a stock which then was used with the pan drippings to make gravy. My grandmother used to like to gnaw on the neck, but I think it serves better for making stock. And the meat from one leg and the wings, as well as the scraps peeled from the carcass were the meat in the soup we had for dinner this evening. The stripped bones went into the stockpot with the carcass.

I ended up with 2 quarts of stock in the freezer and a nice hearty pot of turkey vegetable soup with pasta. :chef:

While the turkey was roasting, I used the neck, gizzard and heart to make a stock which then was used with the pan drippings to make gravy. My grandmother used to like to gnaw on the neck, but I think it serves better for making stock. And the meat from one leg and the wings, as well as the scraps peeled from the carcass were the meat in the soup we had for dinner this evening. The stripped bones went into the stockpot with the carcass.

I ended up with 2 quarts of stock in the freezer and a nice hearty pot of turkey vegetable soup with pasta. :chef:

If yu ahven't gnawed on a turkey neck, or shared the oysters with that someone special, then you are cheating yourself. The oysters are the most flavorful, and tender meat on the bird, and possibly the most moist. They are delectable. My SIL tried to shame me into giving him one. We had cooked three small turkeys this year. I had already shared with my two DD's. But he didn't have to try and shame me. Though he had teased me about being an old man, I had one reserved for him already, along with my other SIL. The one who teased me just got his last. I made him wonder if he was going to get one.:ROFLMAO:

The neck is mine. Most of the meat is pulled from it, after it has served its purpose in making turkey broth. The meat still on the neck is mine. I did most of the work making the turkey, and so use this and the giblets as my reward. The neck meat has a sweet turkey flavor that isn't found anywhere else on the bird. It's stringy, but delicious. And I do it in the kitchen, away from everyone else's eyes. It's great to know what parts of the turkey are best for what. And I am experienced. To quote Mr. Jimmy Hendricks, "Have you ever been experienced? Well I have." Maybe I dont' use the same substances that he did, but mine taste better, and are much more satisfying.:LOL:

If yu ahven't gnawed on a turkey neck, or shared the oysters with that someone special, then you are cheating yourself. The oysters are the most flavorful, and tender meat on the bird, and possibly the most moist. They are delectable. My SIL tried to shame me into giving him one. We had cooked three small turkeys this year. I had already shared with my two DD's. But he didn't have to try and shame me. Though he had teased me about being an old man, I had one reserved for him already, along with my other SIL. The one who teased me just got his last. I made him wonder if he was going to get one.:ROFLMAO:

The neck is mine. Most of the meat is pulled from it, after it has served its purpose in making turkey broth. The meat still on the neck is mine. I did most of the work making the turkey, and so use this and the giblets as my reward. The neck meat has a sweet turkey flavor that isn't found anywhere else on the bird. It's stringy, but delicious. And I do it in the kitchen, away from everyone else's eyes. It's great to know what parts of the turkey are best for what. And I am experienced. To quote Mr. Jimmy Hendricks, "Have you ever been experienced? Well I have." Maybe I dont' use the same substances that he did, but mine taste better, and are much more satisfying.:LOL:

I always reserve the oysters for myself - learned that from my grandmother. Doesn't matter if it's turkey, goose, or chicken, I get the oysters. Fortunately, my wife doesn't understand that obsession, so I don't have to fight anyone for them. She prefers the plain old boring white breast, so I get all of the good thigh and back meat. :chef:

My favorite is the turkey leg, followed by the oysters, and then the wings. I love how the meat on the legs crisps up a bit and have bought and roasted just turkey drumsticks. So tasty.

The last of our leftover turkey went in the garbage today, just plain sick of it. When I put it in that frozen graveyard (chest freezer) in the garage it is'nt identifiable after awhile.

Back
Top Bottom