What does the gelatin stuff consist of?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thecactuswill

Senior Cook
You know, when you make chicken then put the leftovers in the fridge. Then you take it out and theres a layer of gelatin in the bottom. What is it? Fat?

Yes, it's fat from the skin of the chicken. You can just toss it away, or some use it to make chicken stock.

The gelatin is the colagen from the bones and connective tissue. There's also some fat but that looks different from gelatin. If you can collect it and add it to stock, sauce or gravy, it will add an extra dimension.

amber said:
Yes, it's fat from the skin of the chicken. You can just toss it away, or some use it to make chicken stock.

But I carefully remove all skin and trim all fat from chicken pieces, and the gelatin still forms?

The gelatin has nothing to do with fat!

It comes from the bones and connective tissue in the chicken.

Ahh ok. So should I save it to make soup? I've been needing something to add to lentils.

Actually, I'd save it with the bones to make a stock!

If you make a proper stock with chicken bones, skin and meat, then chill it, you will end up with all the fat hardened on the top. If you skim that off, you will find chicken jell-o. The entire pot of stock will have a jello-like texture from the collagen.

If your stock isn't like this, you did something wrong.

Gelatin is basically the collagen found in bones.

It is protein and is the basic ingredient in Jello (along with sugar and flavorings).

That is why when one makes stock (and it is getting to be stock making time here) and simmers the bones one finds, after cooling, a gelatinous blob.

Gelatin itself, which one can buy in any supermarket, has essentially no flavor.

But it gives body to a sauce.

If you just have a bit would probably toss it.

It's from the marrow in the bones. Way way back when, it was how aspic was made, before the days of unflavoured gelatin. The flavour of this gelatin is magnificent, especially if you seasoned the bird generously. Do Not Discard It!!!! Use it for soups, stocks, gravies but don't waste it!

The gelatin is a component for stock, not a concentrate.

You make stock by starting with bones, skin and meat from chicken carcasses. They go into a pot with a mire poix and water to cover. the whole thing is simmered for several hours. During that time, the gelatin is extracted from the bones and connective tissue along with FLAVOR!

If you save the gelatin in the pan, add it the next time you make stock. I hope you saved the bones along with the gelatin.

One part carrots, one part celery and two parts onion. This trio of aromatic veggies provides a flavor base for many dishes.

the fat will be yellow or white, the gelatin is disolved colagen from tissues. That's where the great taste and texture are .

Andy M. said:
If your stock isn't like this, you did something wrong.

That is exactly what my husband's aunt said to me when she gave me my first Jewish cookery lesson! The lesson lasted three days :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom