What is Chicken Stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CommMajor101

Assistant Cook
Hello everyone. I am new to this board and to cooking in general. :ROFLMAO: I am making some fondue tomorrow night and the recipe calls for chicken stock. I looked down the cooking isle and the soup isle at the store and couldn't find it! What is it and where can I get it? Are there any substitutes in case I still can't find it? Thanks for your help.

Like Texasgirl said, you can use chicken broth. Broth and stock are now used interchangeably. Every grocery store will carry broth. It is usually in the soup isle and will probably come in chicken, beef, and vegetable. Swanson is a popular brand. If you don't see it then ask someone who works there. They will definitely carry it.

I love to make stock and do it frequently (one advantage is that it makes the house smell so wonderful). And technically there is a difference between stocks and broths, but as GB said the differences today have become very muddied. In fact we often vary our recipes, most stock making here is done by the seat of our pants, and whether what we have made is a stock or a broth is often not clear. But who cares if it tastes good!

The chicken broth that you can buy in any supermarket generally works just fine. You can find the low salt version and, depending upon what you are making, you might want to use that instead. Generally we just go with the regular chicken broth, unless the dish is already salty.

I have some problems with most canned beef broths. They have a very high salt content and, therefore, usually prefer not to use them. When I need to, will cut them with low salt chicken stock, sorry broth, and find the results usually acceptable.

There are also bouillon cubes, granules, and bases. You add the stuff to water and, voila, instant broth. The products contain a lot of salt and the taste varies significantly between products. However, there are some bases that are pretty good. You can find lobster bases, ham bases, chicken, beef, a fairly extensive variety of them. But you usually have to buy a tub of the stuff and they are not carried in most supermarkets. The brands vary in quality and are primarily used by professional cooks, but they are available to the home cook and are easily found on the web.

Sorry I went on so long, but I do love stocks/broths.

They form the basis of many dishes and if the base is poor, the final dish will be also.

But canned chicken stock usually works very well.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
To answer your question a little further, stock is a liquid that is made by boiling animal bones. Usually vegetables are added for flavor as well. There is gelatin in the bones that when cooked makes a wonderful stock that gives you that lip smacking feel. Broth is basically the same thing, but instead of bones (and the lip smacking gelatin) you would use meat for flavor. They are not the same thing, but can usually be used interchangeably without a significant difference.

Thank you!

You guys rock! Those were all very helpful and much appreciated for the speedy replies! Thank you times 10!

those buillon cubes and granules are handy options, but as auntdot said, they can be very salty. Many of them are made with msg and its flavour is a bit overpowering, and make it saltier. Try and see if you can find a msg free version. IMO they taste much better...

Since GB explained the difference I will say one more thing. If you ever have some time on your hands you can make this at home. I like mine to be an inbetween broth and stock so I use a whole cut up skinned chicken with bones to make mine. The recipe is simple. If you have time try it as it's much much better than the canned variety.

1 whole chicken cut up and skinned
2 large cloves of garlic roughly chopped
1/2 stick of ginger (cut into cubes)
2 carrots cut up into rough chunks
1 large onion peeled and again chop into large chunks
I don't like celery in mine as it's too strong
6-8 cups of water

Bring this all to a boil. Reduce, cover and continue to let it simmer for 30 minutes or so. Then shut the stove and let it cool a bit. Remove the peices of the chicken with tongs and strain the soup mixture. Pour in containers and freeze.

The chicken can be shredded and used in fried rice, soups, enchilada's or any other thing you wish to use it in. The soup (combination of stock and broth) can be used in countless recipes.

One chicken makes a fairly decent batch of soup base.

Back
Top Bottom