What Turkey Type Are You Buying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What kind of Turkey did you buy?

• Fresh - I'll brine it myself

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • Fresh - I'll butter/oil it myself

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Fresh Kosher Pre-Brined

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fresh or Frozen Organic or Free-Range

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • Frozen Inexpensive - Self-basting

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • Frozen Young Turkey

Votes: 9 42.9%
  • Butterball

Votes: 1 4.8%

• Total voters

mollyanne

Flour Child
Trader Joe's is selling "Fresh Brined Turkeys". How can that be when the brining process is only suppose to be going on for 24 hours?

I didn't think to ask them that while I was there. I was too busy asking them why there was a separate section for Kosher Salt Brined and another section for Sea Salt Brined. She said that Kosher Salt seeps into the meat better.

Then I had to google what the big diff is between Kosher Salt and Sea Salt...then I got even more confused. Sea Salt comes from the sea only (duh) and Kosher comes from either mines or sea and can be approved by Jewish priests or not. Table Salt comes only from underground mines and can be iodinized or not.

Some said it's all about texture as some prefer crunchy chunks and cooks can pinch it easier. Others say there is a taste difference but not after it's been heated.

I walked away turkeyless :wacko: mostly because I didn't want it to be over-brined...is that possible?

Eek...I must make my decision today as time is running out.

Brining seems to be the latest "thing" I can't imagine going to that much trouble and the chance of ruining my food with too much salt makes me cringe.

I'll stick to TNT roast turkey.

I hate to say it, but I buy the cheapest frozen 20 pound turkey I can find in the grocery store. As my mother did. It has never failed me. I have, over the years, had many people sit at my table, from many walks of life and other cultures. All have chowed down like the famine was going to start tomorrow. If the breast is a little dry, well, that's why God invented gravy. I keep saying I'm going, some day, to brine a fresh turkey, but in my world, experimentation isn't for big holiday meals.

I hate to say it, but I buy the cheapest frozen 20 pound turkey I can find in the grocery store. As my mother did. It has never failed me. I have, over the years, had many people sit at my table, from many walks of life and other cultures. All have chowed down like the famine was going to start tomorrow. If the breast is a little dry, well, that's why God invented gravy. I keep saying I'm going, some day, to brine a fresh turkey, but in my world, experimentation isn't for big holiday meals.

You said it all. I've been thinking about this while puttering around this morning, and I couldn't think of ever having a problem with turkey. I agree, it's no time to experiment. I just can't imagine ever going to so much trouble (just think of the logistics) with a huge bird that might or might not make a small improvement. By my way of thinking, why would I want my turkey to soak up a bunch of salt. Yeeech.

Thank you both for the backup. I'm glad I'm not alone on this one.

I have been brining for years. Food network chefs have been brining for many years, so it isn't a new fad.

If the brine is the right salinity it can be brined for quite a while. The TJ's Turkey was probably brined, rinsed and packaged.

In grocery stores their rotisserie chicken comes to the store in a brine and has an uncooked shelf life of 10-15 days. They aren't overly salty to most, but it does make the meat softer.

In my TJ's there was a section for "brined" and a section for "Kosher" I believe that it was a Kosher certified turkey, not a Kosher salt brined turkey, at least in my store.

While we're on the subject, deep fried turkey is another story. A group of us who had no special place to go on holidays, always met up for a party on holidays. A couple of times, DFT was made with a bunch of guys standing around helping each other do it right. It was especially good eating, but unless there are a lot of people and more than one turkey, I can't see it.

I can't imagine not having drippings for my gravy.

Zhizara, I think the brining makes the meat more tender.

Bakechef, thank you for that clarification. I'm not positive now but I thought it was kosher brined. I would assume Kosher Turkey means using Kosher Salt. I'm confused. If it's not Kosher brined then what makes the turkey kosher?

One more thing: Doesn't salt draw out the moisture from meat? Thus brining would make it less juicy?

Last edited:
I buy a fresh turkey from a local farm...killed the day before...I make an herb butter and rub in under the skin, I salt and pepper the outside and cavity, I put in some aromatics, I lay root veg in my pan and put the bird on top of them and roast. Delish.

Zhizara, I think the brining makes the meat more tender.

Bakechef, thank you for that clarification. I'm not positive now but I thought it was kosher brined. I would assume Kosher Turkey means using Kosher Salt. I'm confused. If it's not Kosher brined then what makes the turkey kosher?

One more thing: Doesn't salt draw out the moisture from meat? Thus brining would make it less juicy?

That's what I thought too.

Here's a hilarious thought for the day. Imagine me in my 7X8 kitchen with sink or some kind of container of brine, and a big, awkward, wet, slippery bird. Just the thought of that bird ricocheting around gave me a belly laugh.:ROFLMAO:

I'm not buying a turkey this year since my dad is hosting and he got a smoked turkey which is not on your list for voting. He really enjoys the smoked turkey so he ordered it about 2 months ago! If I'm buying, I get the biggest cheapest frozen turkey I can. I don't brine or oil. No one complains and there are little leftovers.

Kosher/ Kashrut certification is needed by the Abattoir sell the meat as Kosher, here the turkey would have a metal seal on it. I think that all salt is Kosher so it must be called kosher for some other reason.

If we buy a Turkey it will be a bronze feather which is a cross between a standard white and a black turkey that is supposed to have originated from your wild bird.

I usually buy the cheapest one I can find. Preferably a fresh one. That just means a turkey that the store has mostly thawed out. I have bought several "fresh" turkeys that were still frozen in the center. They are more convenient.

Last edited:
Brining adds moisture and flavor to a turkey. Cooking a brined turkey you will not have dry breast meat unless you seriously overcook it.

During brining the moisture in the turkey is less salty than the brine so there is an exchange of moisture between the turkey and the brine to equalize the saltiness. This process draws the salted and flavored brine into the turkey resulting in a nicely flavored and moist bird.

I don't consider it a lot of work. My effort in total is no more than 20 minutes or so to prepare the brine and chill it then to drop the bird into the brine the night before and take it out and rinse it Thursday morning.

To insure a moist bird, I don't stuff the turkey but make stuffing and bake it separately.

I use Alton Brown's Thanksgiving Turkey recipe for brining and roasting. I've never had a bad result.

That's good info...thank you. Also, William Sonoma has a recipe for Dry Brining. Just when you thought it couldn't get more confusing, I have to throw Dry Brining into the mix here :LOL: Has anyone tried that?

Back
Top Bottom