Who is cooking a duckling this holiday season?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vitauta

Executive Chef
just wondering...how many of us are planning to include a roast duckling in our holiday plans?

i was just reading back through the "what to do with duck fat" thread from last summer, and it has me duck-hungry all over again. besides which, i really need to replenish my supply of rendered duck fat.

for anyone who will be cooking a duckling and could use some helpful duck prepping and roasting tips, be sure to check out andy m's recommended website which appears in that duck fat thread....

i'll be needing to pick up a can of bush's bavarian sauerkraut and a fresh bag of yukons to go with my bird....:)

who's in?

Last edited:
I would love to, but live in a house with 1800s technology. In other words, no exhaust fan in my kitchen. It would be so smoky! I'm mad at myself for not doing one on the grill this year!

i'm curious: would duckling be well out of season in the fall/winter? in other words, and not to disparage, would it be frozen duckling?

i'm curious: would duckling be well out of season in the fall/winter? in other words, and not to disparage, would it be frozen duckling?

to my knowledge, bt, thanksgiving and christmastime is the traditionally "in season" time for duckling. roast duckling for the christmas table is certainnly a traditional bird to serve.

every place i've ever lived, ducklings tend to become available in the supermarkets around november, in time for the major holidays. most of my ducks have been frozen, but the few that were fresh ducklings were also purchased in november and december. for me, finding even a frozen duckling other times of the year, becomes a rather iffy proposition....

thanks, vit.

hmm, i questioned it purely out of seeing animals primarily breed in the spring. and from experience with breeding parrots, i wonder if breeding cycles were induced in a way to provide for a market.

enjoy it nonetheless. i hope i'm not coming across as contrary. not al all. again, curious.

Last edited:
i would think so, bt--gotta get those turkeys ready for thanksgiving, natural breeding cycles be d****d. what do you do with your parrots, bt?

Vit we are booked into the Bombay Dynasty on the 25th for their boss Indian Buffet, they have a branch in Hollywood Calif.
I love to cook and eat duck, my fav way at present is BBQ garden & BBQ 105.jpg

Due to a recent lip-smacking photo of a pork pot roast in another thread, I think Christmas this year will be pork. I've never seen fresh duckling, only frozen, down here, a few of which seem to be available all year -- am thinking maybe Easter Quacker.

I have an unopened jar of duck fat in the pantry, saved for something special - don't know what.

It is a great page for duck.

And if I get confused with Andy, well.. that's ok.. except for him maybe. :mrgreen:

Claire,

Our kitchen has horrendous ventilation, just a wall mounted exhaust fan that I think make more noise than it moves air.

The duck doesn't smoke us out, we don't get any smoking from it at all as far as I can tell. You might be surprised and be ok.

I have no exh fan and did not notice any smoke either. Maybe if some of the fat had spilled with all that flipping, but none from the sheet pan the fat was collecting in.

As it happens, I called our local butcher yesterday to order a Christmas rib roast and, as a side note, he happened to mention that "oh, by the way, we also have a number of fresh ducks and geese coming in." So by that, I would assume that it's in season.

Vit we are booked into the Bombay Dynasty on the 25th for their boss Indian Buffet, they have a branch in Hollywood Calif.
I love to cook and eat duck, my fav way at present is BBQ View attachment 12542

oh bolas, your golden grilled duckling is always a sight to behold! i've never had bbq duck. i bet it is wonderful that way though--crispy, smoky, moist dark meat wonderful. is there a way for you to catch any of the duck fat when it is cooked on the grill?

your xmas at the bombay dynasty sounds like a great plan. i hope you enjoy the indian cuisine and have yourselves a wonderful holiday time, bolas!!:)

nothing puts me in the mood for duck so much as your gorgeous birds on the grill, bolas!! (last year, there were two of them, i recall:) )

Last edited:
As it happens, I called our local butcher yesterday to order a Christmas rib roast and, as a side note, he happened to mention that "okh, by the way, we also have a number of fresh ducks and geese coming in." So by that, I would assume that it's in season.

thanks steve. i can see getting fresh, full grown beasts at this time of year, but i wondered how they get ducklings in winter.

vit, i used to breed small parrots (keets, conures, etc.), but all i did was provide a nest box and a special diet. the birds did the rest, lol. but it definitely was influenced by light cycles, temp, and other natural factors.

As it happens, I called our local butcher yesterday to order a Christmas rib roast and, as a side note, he happened to mention that "oh, by the way, we also have a number of fresh ducks and geese coming in." So by that, I would assume that it's in season.

What butcher do you go to?

What butcher do you go to?
For fancy holiday roasts, I usually go to Clanceys in Linden Hills. They're expensive, but they can get almost anything you want: lamb, duck, goose, bison, rabbit. The butcher case looks like art. I also go to Hackenmueller's in Robbinsdale sometimes. Good selection of beef, pork, chicken, and sausages made in their own smokehouse. Prices are pretty good, too.

Back
Top Bottom