Whole Chicken for Beginners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the interesting post, Goodweed. That sure sounds good. Hmmm. Mayhap I should rethink my TG turkey and instead roast two chickens. Then I could snitch the four 'oysters' and who would know.

Ah yes, the oysters. I used to reserve them for myself and my Sprout, as she really appreciated them. The rest of the crew really didn't care about them. It was our special daddy/daughter thing.

I will be seeing her this Thanksgiving as we are traveling to her home for the holiday. I hope she shares this tradition with her husband. I just hope he appreciates the significance.

And turkeys are cooked the same way as the turkey, to 155' and rest for twenty minutes before carving. Again, the meat is wonderful when cooked that way. Try roasting your turkey to temperature in a 450' oven. It will still be juicy and wonderful, but with a great, crispy skin.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Thanks for the interesting post, Goodweed. That sure sounds good. Hmmm. Mayhap I should rethink my TG turkey and instead roast two chickens. Then I could snitch the four 'oysters' and who would know.

Okay, what are the oysters?

I know what prairie oysters are, but hens don't have those and the only male chickens I have eaten were capons and they don't have them either.

I believe the oysters are little "globs" of meat generally attached to an indentation in the bones, that are kind of round shaped and that don't usually pull away from the chicken when the legs are removed. They are yummy little things. I guess for most chickens they will be about the size of half a walnut. Hope this helps.

Here, I copied this from Wikipedia, I hope that is okay. The small darker portion is the oyster.

Position of the oysters in a chicken

Chicken Oysters

Oysters are two small, round pieces of dark meat on the back of poultry near the thigh[1]. Some regard the "oyster meat" to be the most flavorful and tender part of the bird, while others dislike the taste and texture.
Compared to dark meat found in other parts of the bird, the oyster meat has a somewhat firm/taut texture which gives it a distinct mouth feel.

Last edited:
I believe the oysters are little "globs" of meat generally attached to an indentation in the bones, that are kind of round shaped and that don't usually pull away from the chicken when the legs are removed. They are yummy little things. I guess for most chickens they will be about the size of half a walnut. Hope this helps.

Oh those, on the back. I get those, my DH doesn't like dark meat. I don't think he knows they exist :LOL:

Back
Top Bottom