Whole Chicken Ideas

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've never bought leg quarters that didn't include the rib and a piece of backbone. I prefer that, because that means I get the oysters too, and that's just about the best bite on a chicken.

These quarters were just hacked. A big disappointment. I don't mind the back on them, but having the ribs also made it difficult to cut the backbone off. When I take them out to thaw, I will have Pirate cut the backbone and rib cage and they will going into the chicken parts bags for later use for chicken and noodle soup. :angel:

I've never bought leg quarters that didn't include the rib and a piece of backbone. I prefer that, because that means I get the oysters too, and that's just about the best bite on a chicken.

One year when my supermarket was having a sale on legs and thighs, I knew there had to be backs. So I asked if they had any I could buy. They put together a ten pound package for me. Best broth and purchase I ever make. $.29 a pound. What they would have received from their recycle pickup. :angel:

Chicken Anything

I boil a whole chicken,season with salt,pepper,garlic,onion,carrot,bay leaf,celery.Drain.Cool.Remove bones and skin,chop u the meat,put it into a loaf pan,add the broth.Chill.Now you can make anything with it,hence the name,You can slice it for sandwiches,crumble it for tacos,burritos,chicken salad,chicken pie,etc.

We put chickens through once a year so we're in the same boat and variety is the spice of life so try everything once.

Lately we've been on a herb kick. So garlic, oregano, basil, rosemary, thyme, etc what ever you have be generous and roast low and slow.

For a while I was on a sauce kick so thaw if u want to marinate or just add honey garlic sauce and rebaste every half hour or hour once it gets cooking. Sweet and sour etc and so on is also ok.

We try to pack flavour but keep it basic so we can have our roast dinner but then make quesadillas, casseroles, soup, etc. There is so much variety that requires so little work once you cook one bird that a bird will last my wife and I a week.

So if you're not sure try everything once.

Back
Top Bottom