"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 08-25-2013, 10:49 PM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Katie H's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Posts: 15,947
Getting to know - Catina (CatPat)

To one of our newest members:

Who do you admire the most?

What is your favorite leisure activity?

Who would you choose as your guests at your table for a special meal?

__________________

__________________
"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2013, 11:56 PM   #2
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
Oh!! I just have seen this. Thank you Katie H. for my submission.

I admire many. My Aunty Stela, one.
And others, the brave and daring forefathers of my new country. They fought against all the odds to lose, but carried the independence from England.
All the men and women who fought in all the wars including today. I admire my parents who made me who I am today. I admire those who did take over and throw away Communism in my country.

But most of all, I admire God because He gave His Son for to redeem us. I am Christian and so for all these things that were given to me I owe God and admire Him for His grace and mercy.

My favorite leisure activities are very random. I love to read, I love to play piano, I love to spend time with the pets, and most of all to listen to Aunty Stela speak of the old country and the times gone by. I also like to ride the bike and visit the library where it is when I can look up into things of history and learn about my new country. Sometimes I just go to walk with my dog to think upon what I see and what I learn.

Who would I choose as my guests for a special meal? All of you and my family and neighbors and all that who know me. If we had the large dining room I would. The meal would be a nice Romanian cooking with help from Aunty Stela. It would be a satisfaction to the ones who attend.

I hope I answered the questions to be right. I do like to share this and I am looking to more questions from you.

Thank you!
~Cat
__________________

CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 12:24 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
Hi Cat,

What was the most memorable thing you saw when you first got to the US?

What is the best Romanian dish you've ever eaten?

If you went to Disney World, what would be the first thing/ride/event you'd most look forward to?
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:09 AM   #4
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,306
What is the one dish you would love to learn to cook like an expert?

What is your favorite piano piece to play?

If you could spend a day with anyone from history, who would it be?
__________________
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Hi Cat,

What was the most memorable thing you saw when you first got to the US?

What is the best Romanian dish you've ever eaten?

If you went to Disney World, what would be the first thing/ride/event you'd most look forward to?
Hi Dawglover. Thank you for your questions.

I was in the British Airways plane to fly to the airport in Washington, DC. As the approach came, the pilot told us to look out on my side of the airplane and he said that was the (I forgot the word) place where they have all the memorials. I saw them and began to cry because right there in the front of me was the symbol of the greatest nation on the earth.

The best Romanian dish I have ever eaten is of my mother and DA's delicious lamb roast. I looked for the recipe in Google and found this very close:

Lamb roast recipe

Aunty Stela is with boyfriend tonight to dinner in town so later I will ask about the differences she does.

I have heard of the Disney World. I like roller coasters that make older people sick. If they have those, I would like to ride in one. I also would like to visit the Epcot Center. I don't know very much about it but I would like to go visit and see.

I hope I have answered everything satisfactorily for you, Dawgluver. If not please let me know.
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:19 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catina View Post

Hi Dawglover. Thank you for your questions.

I was in the British Airways plane to fly to the airport in Washington, DC. As the approach came, the pilot told us to look out on my side of the airplane and he said that was the (I forgot the word) place where they have all the memorials. I saw them and began to cry because right there in the front of me was the symbol of the greatest nation on the earth.

The best Romanian dish I have ever eaten is of my mother and DA's delicious lamb roast. I looked for the recipe in Google and found this very close:

Lamb roast recipe

Aunty Stela is with boyfriend tonight to dinner in town so later I will ask about the differences she does.

I have heard of the Disney World. I like roller coasters that make older people sick. If they have those, I would like to ride in one. I also would like to visit the Epcot Center. I don't know very much about it but I would like to go visit and see.

I hope I have answered everything satisfactorily for you, Dawgluver. If not please let me know.
~Cat
Perfect, Cat! Thank you! Wow, DA has a boyfriend? I'm very impressed with your DA! (and you too!). I thought you said Aunty Stela was old, blind, and feeble. She sure sounds like she's doing quite well for herself! Some of us may need to take a few lessons from her, Aunty Stela rocks!

Your command of English is excellent, especially after only speaking it for 3 years!

I too would love to go on rides that make old people sick!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 08:44 PM   #7
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoot View Post
What is the one dish you would love to learn to cook like an expert?

What is your favorite piano piece to play?

If you could spend a day with anyone from history, who would it be?
Hi Hoot. Thank you for your questions.

I would love to learn how to cook souffles, especially the spinach and the cheese. There is the restaurant in Brasov as they serve these and they are very good. I hope to find out this here.

My favorite piano piece to play is Knecht Ruprecht in A minor by Robert Schumann.

I would want the day of history to be with Ludwig Von Beethoven. As he was deaf I want to see how he composes the music. I can not comprehend how it is that he did this.

I hope I answered the questions well, Hoot. If not, please let me know.
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Perfect, Cat! Thank you! Wow, DA has a boyfriend? I'm very impressed with your DA! (and you too!). I thought you said Aunty Stela was old, blind, and feeble. She sure sounds like she's doing quite well for herself! Some of us may need to take a few lessons from her, Aunty Stela rocks!

Your command of English is excellent, especially after only speaking it for 3 years!
Thank you very much! Her boyfriend is 91. He has a pair who drives the car and who help them into the restaurants. They both are feeble and they have the walkers but he has the sight. He reads the menu to her and they do the order that way. It takes a long time of patience when they have the desire to go outside to the restaurants. They are extremely slow with the walkers and of choosing the menu items. He does the arrange on DA's plate where he tells her where each food is.
She is an amazement to me. It is not obvious she is blind by talking to her. They go outside when they feel strong to do that. Though many times they become tired and only speak on the phone on the most nights.
I think DA had felt good today because she still was proud of me and did sleep many hours the last night. It is my wish to that they could feel better more and go out there more.
Thank you. I hope I did explain well?
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 09:57 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catina View Post

Thank you very much! Her boyfriend is 91. He has a pair who drives the car and who help them into the restaurants. They both are feeble and they have the walkers but he has the sight. He reads the menu to her and they do the order that way. It takes a long time of patience when they have the desire to go outside to the restaurants. They are extremely slow with the walkers and of choosing the menu items. He does the arrange on DA's plate where he tells her where each food is.
She is an amazement to me. It is not obvious she is blind by talking to her. They go outside when they feel strong to do that. Though many times they become tired and only speak on the phone on the most nights.
I think DA had felt good today because she still was proud of me and did sleep many hours the last night. It is my wish to that they could feel better more and go out there more.
Thank you. I hope I did explain well?
~Cat
Cat, you just made my day! You explained perfectly, your DA got you some great gifts, she has a great boyfriend, and you all sound so happy!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2013, 10:35 PM   #10
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,615
It's very nice to meet you Cat. I'm enjoying reading your answers to the questions. One note about Beethoven and his deafness. He didn't lose his hearing until he was older. He was already and accomplished composer when he went deaf. Many stories are out there about how he cut the legs off his piano and would lay on the floor and play it. He could imagine the music in his head.

Welcome to the US too.

My questions
1. What are you studying in college?

2. Did any of your family move here with you or is it just you and your DA?

3. What's your favorite snack?
__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:19 AM   #11
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Cat, you just made my day! You explained perfectly, your DA got you some great gifts, she has a great boyfriend, and you all sound so happy!
Thank you! How can one not be so happy to live in this great land? She has her nice life with her nice boyfriend and we all have many friends. She is just the bit slow but her mind is all with us.

She is the woman I hope I could be in time. And maybe in time, I will find my way with education to be one the USA is proud of.

Thank you, Dawgluver for those most kind words.

Thank you.
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 03:14 AM   #12
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbur View Post
It's very nice to meet you Cat. I'm enjoying reading your answers to the questions. One note about Beethoven and his deafness. He didn't lose his hearing until he was older. He was already and accomplished composer when he went deaf. Many stories are out there about how he cut the legs off his piano and would lay on the floor and play it. He could imagine the music in his head.

Welcome to the US too.

Thank you, and yes he did. I just wish I could see it like that on the floor. I wish I had the talent of that.

My questions
1. What are you studying in college?

2. Did any of your family move here with you or is it just you and your DA?

3. What's your favorite snack?
I am studying the journalism. It will help me to understand and go to the people where we could see all the differences if I get to reporter in some way.

I was moved here in USA to be alone to assist with DA and to get the education. It hurts sometimes when I miss my parents. It is only we two.

My favorite snack is original Chex mix. Also I love the Fritos.

I hope I answered your questions well. Thank you for asking.
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 06:48 AM   #13
Executive Chef
 
Hoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: The edge of the Great Dismal Swamp
Posts: 3,306
Those are great answers! I agree....I would love to spend the day with Beethoven.
I have always been amazed by his ability to compose wonderful music from memory.
I truly admire the fact that you have come to this country to look after your Aunt and that you have taken up the challenge to become an American citizen. May God bless you and your Aunt.
__________________
I used to be a racist, but I don't have much interest in it since Dale Earnhardt got killed.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
Good judgement comes from experience; experience comes from bad judgement.
Hoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #14
Master Chef
 
jabbur's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Newport News, VA
Posts: 5,615
Cat, you are a very brave and strong woman! To leave your home at your age to care for an aging aunt in a new country with a new language and customs! Then add in going to college! What an adventure! I hope you enjoy it here. While we have a lot of things going wrong in this country right now, it's still a great place to live.
__________________
I could give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!
jabbur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:25 PM   #15
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
I do thank you for you very kind words. But I am not really brave. I have been to other countries and to the USA on the visits between the school years. The visits were with my parents and so not alone like this. And so I am not alone here with DA. It was the first time I flew such a distance alone on an airplane this time.
I did not mind being alone on it. I had many things in my sack to do; My tablet, my journal, a crossword book, and my book to read. My parents put me in the first class this time for it being safer, they said.
I thought I liked the regular seats better. In first class they nag at you all the time to offer to eat or drink something. The man on the aisle seat across from me got very (I can not remember the word; something like polluted?) stupid from too much alcohol.
The airplane trip was the only part when I was alone. Aunty has a friend, Gwen, who drives her to the grocery and to the errands and they met me at the Asheville Airport. I did cry when I saw her and then we hugged so tight I never wanted to let go.
I am so amazed at this wonderful land. You have the breathing room of vast acreage all around. And I have heard some very funny phrases here!
My favorite is of one of my classmates who was having lunch with me. She said she needs to stop eating so much because, "If I keep eating like this, I'll be so big I will have my own zip code."
That is very funny!
Am I allowed to ask some questions in the Member Spotlight without the use of politics or religion? My world is narrow right now with DA and beginning the school year.
Again, thank you all for the nice questions. I will answer more if you like to ask.
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:46 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catina View Post
I do thank you for you very kind words. But I am not really brave. I have been to other countries and to the USA on the visits between the school years. The visits were with my parents and so not alone like this. And so I am not alone here with DA. It was the first time I flew such a distance alone on an airplane this time.
I did not mind being alone on it. I had many things in my sack to do; My tablet, my journal, a crossword book, and my book to read. My parents put me in the first class this time for it being safer, they said.
I thought I liked the regular seats better. In first class they nag at you all the time to offer to eat or drink something. The man on the aisle seat across from me got very (I can not remember the word; something like polluted?) stupid from too much alcohol.
The airplane trip was the only part when I was alone. Aunty has a friend, Gwen, who drives her to the grocery and to the errands and they met me at the Asheville Airport. I did cry when I saw her and then we hugged so tight I never wanted to let go.
I am so amazed at this wonderful land. You have the breathing room of vast acreage all around. And I have heard some very funny phrases here!
My favorite is of one of my classmates who was having lunch with me. She said she needs to stop eating so much because, "If I keep eating like this, I'll be so big I will have my own zip code."
That is very funny!
Am I allowed to ask some questions in the Member Spotlight without the use of politics or religion? My world is narrow right now with DA and beginning the school year.
Again, thank you all for the nice questions. I will answer more if you like to ask.
~Cat
Too funny, Cat! Great stories!

Of course you can ask questions here, this is your thread!
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 11:53 PM   #17
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
Dawgluver said I could tell of the gifts I received from Aunty and my parents upon my being granted the citizenship. I was not sure to say of these because they are luxuries and I never want to hurt anyone. DA bought me the Vera Bradley handbag with the matching wallet in the pattern of English Rose. These are lovely things! She found the items on sale which were very inexpensive. I love these and they are special. Then she told me I needed a Smart Phone. I had a dumb phone, I think. Gwen took us to the Walmart and DA bought me the Samsung Galaxy Centura. Those are extremely expensive! It cost her nearly $100!
And today I received in the bank account a transfer of money from my parents which is enough to buy a nice car and now I can drive DA around. I received a driver license after passing the tests last month. DA has no car but Gwen was very kind and leant me her car to use to take the road test. Now I am to have a car for Aunty and me! I have a stipend monthly out of my trust from my parents and my little salary from my job and I must find a car which is economical on gas and safe. Does anyone know of the cars which are the hybrids? Is the required insurance of the vehicles high or more reasonable? I must do much researching and learning. I have never owned a car here. I will ask Gwen and DA, but I have found you my new friends and I am asking.
This is a very large thing to do for me.
And thank you all for listening! I feel so very American to be here.
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:09 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Dawgluver's Avatar
Site Moderator
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 24,998
Cat, I would try to find a reputable used car dealer. Ask friends and friends of friends. You don't want to buy a brand new car, it starts to lose its value the minute you drive it off the lot. Do some research, and if the salesperson pressures you too much, don't be afraid to walk away.

I would take Gwen or another friend with you who can help you negotiate.

You will have to shop around for insurance, again, more research.
__________________
She who dies with the most toys, wins.
Dawgluver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 12:34 AM   #19
Proud American
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Asheville
Posts: 2,126
Thank you, Dawgluver. Yes I do not like the new cars for they have often what is called "bugs" in them. Gwen did offer to help me and another neighbor did also offer. DA and I were outside to tend to the garden I planted and they arrived to visit us after I spoke to my parents.
I must make the careful decision for the best of DA and myself. I need something which is easy for DA and yet it is practical and uses the least of gas.
My parents were not much help to me as they do not know of USA cars and Aunty just told me she would leave the decision into my hands.
I learned what DA calls the "life lesson" tonight. I have the large responsibility of this. I hope I will do well.
~Cat
CatPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,753
Cat, it's been very interesting getting to know you I have a Ford Escape Hybrid and love it. It's fun and comfortable to drive, gets good gas mileage and is very reliable. I've had it for 8 years. Let me know if you have questions.

So, what do you like to do for fun when you're not busy with school and your aunt?
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×