"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Discuss Cooking Community Forums > Member Spotlight
Click Here to Login

Old 07-02-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Ogress Supreme

Getting to Know - purple.alien.giraffe

1. If you could, would you open a restaurant and what would you call it?

2. Your Dad is a Goodweed, your sister a Sprout...what are your brothers and Mom?

3. Who is your hero and why?
Old 07-02-2011, 08:58 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
1. If you could, would you open a restaurant and what would you call it?
No. If one of my siblings or my dad opened a restaurant I'd gladly contribute recipes, but I'm not restaurant owner (or cook) material.

Quote:
2. Your Dad is a Goodweed, your sister a Sprout...what are your brothers and Mom?
The older of the boys is a tree. One with deep roots and wide limbs to shelter his family.

The younger brother is a seed floating on the wind, waiting for the right place and conditions to settle.

My mom is a dandelion. A lot of people just pass her by but if you actually take a look, you find she's got strong roots and surprising beauty.

Quote:
3. Who is your hero and why?
I've had lots of heroes over the years (some real people, some fictional). Over time I've learned to stop putting people on a pedestal and start embracing them for the humans they are. Some people I admire:

My dad, for his integrity.

My grandma, for her innocence and pureness of heart.

My husband, for his strength, both physical and emotional.

My sister, for her wisdom and ability to make people smile.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:16 PM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Wow!!!
Old 07-02-2011, 11:16 PM   #4
Traveling Welcome Wagon

1. Who was your favorite teacher in school, and why?

2. If money were no object and you had a year to do anything at all you wanted, what would you do?

3. How do you want to be remembered when you are gone?

4. Would you get more satisfaction from preparing a perfect meal for ten people or from teaching those ten people how to prepare that meal?
Barbara L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 03:41 AM   #5
Master Chef

Hi PAG :)

1. What would your ultimate 3 course menu be?

2. What one thing would you like to do before you die?

3. Which one person do you look up to most?
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:53 AM   #6
Master Chef

why the username?
LiGruess cara ~~~ Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, wine in the other, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:05 AM   #7
Cook

What makes you happy?
CookingMamaof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara L View Post
1. Who was your favorite teacher in school, and why?
It's a tie between Mrs. Faunt and Mrs. Henne. Mrs. Faunt taught high school English classes, Mrs. Henne taught high school English and Art classes. I was an extreme outsider in HS. I was shy, awkward and nerdy. Both teachers made an extra effort to encourage me and make me feel safe and welcome in their class. They were also both incredibly eccentric, creative and funny, and they just generally cared about people, especially their students.

Quote:
2. If money were no object and you had a year to do anything at all you wanted, what would you do?
Buy a sailing vessel, pack up the hubby and the cat and supplies, and spend some time sailing to different places around the world.

Quote:
3. How do you want to be remembered when you are gone?
As someone who was worth knowing. I'd different things to the people around me and so long as I've added to each persons life and they enjoyed knowing me, it doesn't really matter how they remember me.

Quote:
4. Would you get more satisfaction from preparing a perfect meal for ten people or from teaching those ten people how to prepare that meal?
That depends on the ten people. Some people just don't like cooking but really like good food. Others like being taught how to make something. I suppose either would be pretty equal so long as the effort was appreciated and people enjoyed the experience.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:02 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snip 13 View Post
Hi PAG :)

1. What would your ultimate 3 course menu be?
Oooooh, now that is difficult. So much good food out there and I like a lot of what I've gotten to try thus far. I guess I'd have to say I'd start with something sweet and rich. Oooh, I was at a gathering recently and someone made a strawberry-apple-rhubarb pie with a brown sugar crumble top. Served hot with high quality french vanilla ice cream on top. Yeah, I could start with that. Then a surf and turf and salad. Scallops sauteed in a little garlic, chives and butter with a tiny bit of finely grated asiago on top along side a bone in rib steak cooked medium rare on a charcoal grill and topped with grilled portabellas. A nice garden salad with lots of garden veggies to go along side and a glass of black current juice. Finish with some strawberries and creamy havarti on graham crackers.

Quote:
2. What one thing would you like to do before you die?
I've already done it. I found someone to spend the rest of my life with.

Quote:
3. Which one person do you look up to most?
I don't think I could pick just one person. There are so many people I look up to for so many different reasons. I'm extremely lucky to have friends and family with a lot of good character traits and I find value in each of them. I mean, I really have amazing people in my life. People who are extremely intelligent but still just every-day kind of folk. People who are kind and patient beyond what seems possible. People of great integrity and honesty. People who always know how to relate to others and make them smile or laugh. They're just amazing people.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:13 AM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
Oooooh, now that is difficult. So much good food out there and I like a lot of what I've gotten to try thus far. I guess I'd have to say I'd start with something sweet and rich. Oooh, I was at a gathering recently and someone made a strawberry-apple-rhubarb pie with a brown sugar crumble top. Served hot with high quality french vanilla ice cream on top. Yeah, I could start with that. Then a surf and turf and salad. Scallops sauteed in a little garlic, chives and butter with a tiny bit of finely grated asiago on top along side a bone in rib steak cooked medium rare on a charcoal grill and topped with grilled portabellas. A nice garden salad with lots of garden veggies to go along side and a glass of black current juice. Finish with some strawberries and creamy havarti on graham crackers.

I've already done it. I found someone to spend the rest of my life with.

I don't think I could pick just one person. There are so many people I look up to for so many different reasons. I'm extremely lucky to have friends and family with a lot of good character traits and I find value in each of them. I mean, I really have amazing people in my life. People who are extremely intelligent but still just every-day kind of folk. People who are kind and patient beyond what seems possible. People of great integrity and honesty. People who always know how to relate to others and make them smile or laugh. They're just amazing people.
Great answers :)
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #11
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by cara View Post
why the username?
No reason and many reasons. Sometimes, my brain mashes some things together and spits them out and I'm amused by them. Then I get stuck on them.

That's what happened when I was choosing a facebook url to go with my account. I'd been at a D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) game when a player did something uncharacteristically moronic. Like, this guy usually had all the right answers and made all the right choices with his character and play. And then he did something that couldn't have been more wrong and didn't realize it until it was too late. We were baffled. He was baffled. Out of nowhere I blurted that it was the fault of the purple alien giraffes from outer space. Everyone agreed that it was the likeliest explanation. I was still stuck on purple alien giraffes when fb pestered me to create a url for my page so I went with that.

When I decided to join DC I figured if it was good enough for my fb page, it should work for this. I didn't think about it being really long until after I was writing my intro post. Plus, I didn't want to be a plant name like my dad and sis. I am the family oddball after all.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:15 AM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Great answers :)
Thanks!
Old 07-03-2011, 08:36 AM   #13
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookingMamaof2 View Post
What makes you happy?
So soooo many things. My husband, my sister, my nieces and nephews, my family and friends. The laughter of children, being loved. Sunrises and sunsets, rainbows from the prism in my window. Unexpected beauty. Unexpected kindness. Cooking, painting, drawing, singing (so long as it's not in front of people), music, writing short stories and poetry, reading, learning about science and how things work. Random shiny stuff (a piece of glitter, light on polished metal, etc.). Taking stuff apart. Impressive cloud formations. Sunlight. Moonlight. Stars. Fog swirling about my ankles on a warm summer night as I walk through grass. Dew clinging like silver beads to the pale green leaves of roadside bushes. Sunlight twinkling through emerald tree leaves. Being in the woods. Being in, on or around water (swimming, canoeing, fishing, etc.). Interesting architecture. The murmur of a distant crowd having fun. Laughing. Quiet, calm moments. Rain. Thunder and lightning. Watching a campfire. Snuggles. My cat. Helping people. Listening. More things than I could name and probably a good number that I'd forget if I tried to, or maybe even some thing I haven't discovered yet. Basically anything that lets me love and be loved, brings me closer to my family and friends, shows me the beauty of the world around me, makes me laugh, provides a creative outlet, lets me think or gives me a feeling of peace and calm.
Old 07-03-2011, 10:39 AM   #14
Ogress Supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by purple.alien.giraffe View Post
No reason and many reasons. Sometimes, my brain mashes some things together and spits them out and I'm amused by them. Then I get stuck on them.

That's what happened when I was choosing a facebook url to go with my account. I'd been at a D&D (Dungeons and Dragons) game when a player did something uncharacteristically moronic. Like, this guy usually had all the right answers and made all the right choices with his character and play. And then he did something that couldn't have been more wrong and didn't realize it until it was too late. We were baffled. He was baffled. Out of nowhere I blurted that it was the fault of the purple alien giraffes from outer space. Everyone agreed that it was the likeliest explanation. I was still stuck on purple alien giraffes when fb pestered me to create a url for my page so I went with that.

When I decided to join DC I figured if it was good enough for my fb page, it should work for this. I didn't think about it being really long until after I was writing my intro post. Plus, I didn't want to be a plant name like my dad and sis. I am the family oddball after all.
That's kinda how I got my user name
Old 07-03-2011, 03:08 PM   #15
Senior Cook

If you could live one day in another person's shoes, who would you pick and why?

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:19 PM   #16
Sous Chef

1. What is one food or food combination that you like that others may think is gross?

2. If you could be an expert in a few areas or intermediate in many, which would you choose? If the former, what areas would you choose (if money and career weren't issues, let's pretend you're financially set for life).
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

1. What do you do for a living and why did you choose to do that?
Old 07-04-2011, 07:11 AM   #18
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterthanabox View Post
If you could live one day in another person's shoes, who would you pick and why?
Real person, fictional person? Do I just take over their life but as me or do I actually get to live as that person?

If fictional is an option, Galadrial, because who wouldn't want to spend a day as the most beautiful and magical elven queen ever?

If I just take over their life but as me, ummmm, who's somebody wealthy that does nothing but shop and eat exquisitely prepared meals all day?

If I get to live as that person, my husband. It would be interesting to see things from his perspective.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:17 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
1. What is one food or food combination that you like that others may think is gross?
Hmmmm, probably peanut butter and jelly sandwich with potato chips put inside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprout View Post
2. If you could be an expert in a few areas or intermediate in many, which would you choose? If the former, what areas would you choose (if money and career weren't issues, let's pretend you're financially set for life).
Intermediate in many! As many as I could learn and I'd want to try to figure out ways to make cross disciplines that seem unconnected work together.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:23 AM   #20
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
1. What do you do for a living and why did you choose to do that?
Currently I'm a network technician. I chose it because I was qualified for it and needed a job. Long term I'd like to finish my Comp Sci degree and move more toward programming. Even longer term I want to get at least a masters, possible a phd in marine biology/ecology and take some classes in prediction models and data analysis. I'd like to work trying to figure out oceanic biological systems and how changes in their environments might affect them. Even longer term, like after I retire, I'd like to find a natural science museum and work as a children's tour guide or activities worker. But for now, I'm happy (usually) being a network tech, and if I never actually make it past that, so long as I'm able to live a good life with the hubby (and maybe get a subscription to a science mag or two), that's good enough.