Bread recommendations for a pulled pork sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In a pulled pork sandwich, the texture and crunch come from the coleslaw served on top of the meat. I don't like sandwiches on baguettes; the filling usually squishes out of the side and falls on the plate.
Only if you are lucky. :ermm: If you are wearing anything white, I know where it's going to fall.

:LOL: You have that right, taxy! The rule in our house is: whenever eating anything that can stain, wear a hand towel as a bib, or a full-bib apron. Otherwise, Mama ain't happy.

Why did you choose to make your sandwich this way rather than just fillings and bread?
I could say why do you choose to make a conventional sandwich! Open sandwiches are attractive and it was easier to eat in this fashion with the ingredients mentioned i.e. would have been far too bulky (with the filling) to eat in in a closed sandwich format.

That depends on the filling and also how you use the baguette.

Mini baguettes are good sliced horizontally to form an open sandwich...everything kept in place by a 'lid' of a romaine lettuce leaf.

I have just eaten an open baguette sandwich in this fashion which was easy to eat (holding the lettuce, no squishing out) and scrumptious! (I spread the horizontally sliced mini baguette with smoked salmon pate, topped with sliced boiled egg, roasted red pepper and tomato slices then the romaine lettuce leaf covering it all, which can be held like the top of a roll). :yum:

I thought sure we were talking about pulled pork sandwiches with slaw. :wacko:

I like mine on a toasted bun and a romaine lettuce leaf on it is against the law.

...Open sandwiches are attractive and it was easier to eat in this fashion with the ingredients mentioned i.e. would have been far too bulky (with the filling) to eat in in a closed sandwich format.

...and the fillings won't squish out the side and fall on the plate.

Quick question about coleslaw. IS it the type of thing that is better the next day after it has sat ? or is it better fresh ??

Your opinions ?

larry

I think coleslaw benefits from having the ingredients spending quality time together. The cabbage tends to lose some of its stiffness/crunch and the whole thing collapses and loses a little volume.

It's easy enough to determine which way you like it. Make some and taste it. Taste again later that day and again the next day. Compare notes.

I could say why do you choose to make a conventional sandwich! Open sandwiches are attractive and it was easier to eat in this fashion with the ingredients mentioned i.e. would have been far too bulky (with the filling) to eat in in a closed sandwich format.
With a romaine lettuce leaf hiding everything?

Quick question about coleslaw. IS it the type of thing that is better the next day after it has sat ? or is it better fresh ??

Your opinions ?

larry

It depends on how strong your teeth are. ;) Seriously, pretty much what Andy said. Keep trying until you like the texture, and then make following batches allowing the time needed to reach your desired version.

One caveat: Sometimes you will get a VERY tough head of cabbage. No amount of waiting it out will get the cabbage to soften. After a week, give up. :LOL:

Another question about Coleslaw.
Im sure it varies from recipe to recipe, and taste , preference ....
But is the cabbage supposed to be swimming in the liquidy mayo mixture? or just to be coated?
The only reason I ask, is cause I don't want to use a whole cabbage , and make a huge amount, so Im gonna be eyeballing it a bit.

We personally like it on the drier side. We also like the fastest coleslaw recipe I've ever found: shred cabbage and a carrot. Mix with Miracle Whip. Wait. Eat. There is enough flavor to the Miracle Whip to season it enough for us. It's the ONLY reason I have MW in the refrigerator. Everything else gets mayo

Definitely Ciabatta or just a regular old Hamburger roll.

Very few things can beat a pulled pork sandwhich with a great BBQ sauce.
Yes I like the idea of ciabatta too - soft but with a slightly crunchy topping.

Re. coleslaw .... are there 'rules' for this as well
, i.e. grated veg rather than finely sliced?
eusa_think.gif

Last edited:
Another question about Coleslaw.
Im sure it varies from recipe to recipe, and taste , preference ....
But is the cabbage supposed to be swimming in the liquidy mayo mixture? or just to be coated?
The only reason I ask, is cause I don't want to use a whole cabbage , and make a huge amount, so Im gonna be eyeballing it a bit.

There are lots of ways to make cole slaw and not all of them use mayo

Lucky for you there's a great cole slaw discussion here: VEGGIE SLAWS/COLESLAWS! Home Cooking Dish Of The Month (July 2015) - Home Cooking - Chowhound

On a Torta roll..Costco sells them in their bakery. They are perfect for a saucy sandwich, really holds up and has a chewy texture. I just love them!

Where I'm from originally, the BBQ joints all used plain white sandwich bread, toasted or not per the customer's preference. It was just a carrier for the meat.

Coleslaw was a side, NEVER on the sandwich.

Here in SE Florida in the predominantly black neighborhoods on most Friday afternoons you can drive along quite a few streets and see where the local Q'er has set up and is selling his BBQ by the pound. It comes with a loaf or half-loaf of regular white sandwich bread depending on how much you buy.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom