Bread recommendations for a pulled pork sandwich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
So, in the previous thread, I have learned that Coleslaw was the mystery cabbage in the veggie pulled pork sandwich i got down in Philly.

This sandwich was kinda rolled up in a wrap.

Im not a big wrap fan, so i was wondering what you guys and gals would consider the ideal bread to have such a sandwich on.

( disregard that it is a vegetarian pulled pork sandwich, assume it is the real thing)

Thanks,

Larry

French rolls.......or ciabatta, or focaccia....a number of breads. :yum: I usually have French rolls on hand.

Attachments

• french rolls.jpg
    french rolls.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Last time we had pulled pork I bought a package of brioche rolls. They were so good with the pork! A little sweet, nice and soft, and sturdy enough to hold up to extra sauce. Usually, though, we like a Kaiser roll.

I don't know how it is in Philly, but for pulled pork here I have to have toasted French rolls - something sturdy enough to hold up to the filling. :)

Last edited:
I don't know how it is in Philly, but for pulled pork here I have to have toasted French rolls - something sturdy enough to hold up to the filling. :)

Philly? Cheryl, Cheryl, Cheryl. This is a Southern dish. We know how to do it right. Soft white burger buns are the best way to enjoy pulled pork ;)

Philly? Cheryl, Cheryl, Cheryl. This is a Southern dish. We know how to do it right. Soft white burger buns are the best way to enjoy pulled pork ;)

:LOL: I was just responding to Larry's first paragraph in this thread where he said "....So, in the previous thread, I have learned that Coleslaw was the mystery cabbage in the veggie pulled pork sandwich I got down in Philly...."

Soft white burger buns sound good....I guess pulled pork on anything would be good....:LOL: Gonna call it a night now...:)

Why be conventional if it's mundane? I like a bit of texture/crunch so, since the pork is soft, would have it in a small french baguette. Even with chopped sunblush tomatoes and romaine lettuce!
icon_cheers.png

In a pulled pork sandwich, the texture and crunch come from the coleslaw served on top of the meat. I don't like sandwiches on baguettes; the filling usually squishes out of the side and falls on the plate.

Sandwich "rules" dictate that you use softer breads for softer fillings and save harder breads for harder fillings.

Sandwich "rules" dictate that you use softer breads for softer fillings and save harder breads for harder fillings.
There are "rules"? :ohmy:
671114.gif
When it comes to tastes, each to their own! ;)

Go crazy, live dangerously, run from the bread police and dare even to adapt the fillings - flout the 'rules' I say!!
yahoo.gif

Last edited:
In a pulled pork sandwich, the texture and crunch come from the coleslaw served on top of the meat. I don't like sandwiches on baguettes; the filling usually squishes out of the side and falls on the plate.
That depends on the filling and also how you use the baguette.

Mini baguettes are good sliced horizontally to form an open sandwich...everything kept in place by a 'lid' of a romaine lettuce leaf.

I have just eaten an open baguette sandwich in this fashion which was easy to eat (holding the lettuce, no squishing out) and scrumptious! (I spread the horizontally sliced mini baguette with smoked salmon pate, topped with sliced boiled egg, roasted red pepper and tomato slices then the romaine lettuce leaf covering it all, which can be held like the top of a roll). :yum:

Last edited:
That depends on the filling and also how you use the baguette.

Mini baguettes are good sliced horizontally to form an open sandwich...everything kept in place by a 'lid' of a romaine lettuce leaf...

Why did you choose to make your sandwich this way rather than just fillings and bread?

Back
Top Bottom