Can anyone tell me how to make a really yummy club sandwich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

di reston

Sous Chef
Hello, I'm English and I live in Italy. I have never had a proper Club Sandwich and would love to learn to make them. Can you help me please? Many thanks

Di

There is no real trick to the club sandwich, provided you have the proper ingredients. It's much like a BLT, except with the addition of turkey. But I'm thinking it might not be easy to find some of these things in Italy.

For example, American style bacon, which is pork belly that's been cured, hickory smoked, and sliced thin. You could substitute pancetta, but it won't exactly be the same, since pancetta isn't smoked.

The bread typically used is American white bread - that squishy sort of flavorless stuff we have over here. In the case of a club sandwich, all of the flavor is on the inside of the sandwich. I would substitute something like an Italian peasant loaf, and slice it no more than a half inch thick. Truthfully, it will taste better than using the American equivalent.

Other than in Paris, I don't recall seeing mayonnaise on my travels abroad. But mayo is pretty easy to make.

Everything else (turkey, tomatoes, lettuce) should be readily available.

The link below is pretty much right on the money, as far as assembling it:
Classic Club Sandwich Recipe : Food Network Kitchen : Food Network

Last edited:
methinks the defining "trait" of a club sandwich is three slices of bread, usually toasted, with two layers of "goodies."

secondary trait is "cut into four triangles & held together with toothpicks"

some disagreements may apply; your mayo may vary.

in Italy you may have an issue with the bread - a square or domed top soft crumb is the norm. "sturdy" breads do less well, the force needed to bit through the bread can make the goodie layers squish out.

what is in the layers varies enormously and I seriously question anything labeled "classic" or "original" because the concept is so old no one can "prove" what a club sandwich may not be.

tuna, chicken, bacon/lettuce, roast beef, ham&cheese - pretty much anything you can imagine. the "greens" and associated are often in one layer, with the "other" stuff in the second layer.

There is no real trick to the club sandwich, provided you have the proper ingredients. It's much like a BLT, except with the addition of turkey. But I'm thinking it might not be easy to find some of these things in Italy.

For example, American style bacon, which is pork belly that's been cured, hickory smoked, and sliced thin. You could substitute pancetta, but it won't exactly be the same, since pancetta isn't smoked.

The bread typically used is American white bread - that squishy sort of flavorless stuff we have over here. In the case of a club sandwich, all of the flavor is on the inside of the sandwich. I would substitute something like an Italian peasant loaf, and slice it no more than a half inch thick. Truthfully, it will taste better than using the American equivalent.

Other than in Paris, I don't recall seeing mayonnaise on my travels abroad. But mayo is pretty easy to make.

Everything else (turkey, tomatoes, lettuce) should be readily available.

The link below is pretty much right on the money, as far as assembling it:
Classic Club Sandwich Recipe : Food Network Kitchen : Food Network

Steve is correct in answer to your specific question. Naturally, you can change it however you wish, but this is the classic sandwich.

I agree with Steve as to what is in a club sandwich, but to me it is more classic with chicken breast than with turkey breast. And, as dcSaute pointed out, it is layered, using three slices of bread.

I always have mine on whole wheat bread.

And thank you for that link Aunt Bea.

All the club sandwiches I've had also include some cheese: thinly sliced yellow or white cheddar is common.

I've also had them on good country white bread and sourdough.

When we were in Rome and Florence, mayo packets were available in the panini shops, so I would guess it's available in grocery stores, too. People might be surprised how many people in Europe eat American foods :)

I always assumed "club" referred to the basic sandwich structure with a variety of meats possible. I don't think I've ever seen 'club sandwich' on a menu without a meat mentioned as the modifier - "turkey club" or "roast beef club"

All the club sandwiches I've had also include some cheese: thinly sliced yellow or white cheddar is common.

I've also had them on good country white bread and sourdough.

When we were in Rome and Florence, mayo packets were available in the panini shops, so I would guess it's available in grocery stores, too. People might be surprised how many people in Europe eat American foods :)
Mayo isn't American.

I always thought it was French, but I looked it up and according to Mayonnaise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it was invented in Spain and popularized in France.

Europeans use a lot of mayo. They use it as a garnish and as a dip for French fries, among other things.

Mayo isn't American.

I always thought it was French, but I looked it up and according to Mayonnaise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, it was invented in Spain and popularized in France.

Europeans use a lot of mayo. They use it as a garnish and as a dip for French fries, among other things.

I used to eat french fries with mayonnaise all the time in my teens, 20s and 30s. I still do sometimes, but mostly I use ketchup.

39817-albums888-picture5912.jpg
Turkey Salad Club

Mayo isn't American.

Thanks for that :) I didn't think it through before responding. The first person I ever saw dip fries in mayo was our first German exchange student, in 1993.

I always assumed "club" referred to the basic sandwich structure with a variety of meats possible. I don't think I've ever seen 'club sandwich' on a menu without a meat mentioned as the modifier - "turkey club" or "roast beef club"

I have seen just "club sandwich" on menus. It includes turkey, bacon, lettuce, tomato, mayo and three slices of toasted bread. More recently, chefs have come up with many varieties, just like with other menu items.

My favorite is the turkey-apple club at a local restaurant. It's layered with turkey, white cheddar, lettuce, tomato, mayo and fresh red apples and served on three slices of cinnamon bread. So good! :)

The first tought I had when I saw di reston's question was "three slices of toasted bread". I don't ever remember seeing any menu reference that did not point out three slices of bread. I know I've never ordered one or made one for myself because I can not get my mouth opened far enough for three slices of bread and all the ingredients! Well, unless I'm yelling at someone. :LOL: And yes, bacon was always listed too. But I figure bacon is a condiment for sandwiches anyway, right? :yum:

When we were in Rome and Florence, mayo packets were available in the panini shops, so I would guess it's available in grocery stores, too.
That could well be. I've been to Italy a few times, including a 4-month stay in Naples many years ago. During that stay, I cooked most of my own meals and shopped in the local stores. There could have been mayo there. I just don't recall seeing it. Plus we're talking 20 years ago.

That's not to say that mayonnaise isn't used in Italy, because aioli is certainly Italian. But I have a hunch that an Italian would be more likely to just make it up from scratch, since it's so easy to do.

Last edited:
Steve, when I moved to Denmark in 1969, I couldn't find the mayo. Then, I found out that they sell it in tubes with a pretty star shaped opening. They mostly used it to decorate open-faced sandwiches.

T

Mayonnaise is available (and eaten) all over Europe - even by us benighted Brits. The Belgians even claim to have invented the combination of chips/fries and mayo as a street snack.

If you go to Menorca you'll find that menorquin chefs claim mayonnaise as a menorcan invention and that it is named after the Island's capital, Mahon (or "Mao" in the local variant of Catalan). In Spanish it's "salsa mahonesa" and in Catalan "Maonesa" (Menorca belongs to Spain but never tell a menorquin that either he or mayonnaise is Spanish).

Of course, the French may tell a different story.:)

Last edited:
That could well be. I've been to Italy a few times, including a 4-month stay in Naples many years ago. During that stay, I cooked most of my own meals and shopped in the local stores. There could have been mayo there. I just don't recall seeing it. Plus we're talking 20 years ago.

I was eating mayonnaise in England and Menorca in the 1970s. Constance Spry used it in Coronation Chicken which she invented in commemoration of the Queen's coronation in 1953 and a "fowl" dressed with mayonnaise appears in the first edition of Mrs Beeton in 1861!

I think the major difference is that Europeans seldom, if ever, use it as a spread for a sandwich, garnish yes.

Back
Top Bottom