Ever had a collard sandwich? Learn to make one>

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Barbarainnc

Senior Cook
Collard Sandwich

I used Paula Deens recipe for Lace Hoecake Cornbread to make the "bread" part. I made up 1/2 of the recipe. Make sure your pan is real hot, before putting in the batter. I used 1/3 c for each. It kind of looks like lace around the edges. Brown on one side, turn over and brown on the other. Drain on papertowels. It made 5 cornbread patties.

I cooked 1 bag of frozen Picsweet Collards 16 oz with some water, cook until tender, salt and season with some bacon grease. Cook them until all of the liquid is cooked into the collards. Otherwords cook them dry.

To serve, put 1 piece of cornbread on a plate, put 1/2 of the collards on it and top with another piece of cornbread. Serve with hot peppers and fatback. Eat with a fork, too big to eat with your hands like a sandwich Make the other one and enjoy!!!! Just enough for 2 people

I'll tell you what I mixed with collards this week--canellini beans. It was DEElicious together!!

I always put dark greens in my sandwiches...leftover collards are great in a grilled ham n cheese w tomato and greens! Also good with a fried black eye pea cake in a sandwich. (also a Paula recipe)

If you like flatbread (chapati or corn or flour tortillas) a nice dish is sauteed seasoned shredded greens (I like a mixture of slightly bitter - like kale, chicory, mustard greens or broccoli rabe - combined with mild - like spinach or chard) rolled up in the flat bread. You put some of the seasoned, cooked greens in the center of the flatbread and then you can either fold the flatbread over in a half-moon shape or roll it up like a burrito. Then it is cooked, briefly, on both sides on an ungreased hot skillet. If you want, you can include some quick-melting coarsely grated cheese with the sauteed greens.

This is a classic peasant dish in many cultures - simple ingredients and simple stove-top cooking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom