Rolled Stromboli

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kaneohegirlinaz

Wannabe TV Chef
Central/Northern AZ, gateway to The Grand Canyon
sept 2012 road trip 002.JPG sept 2012 road trip 007.JPG

Rolled Stromboli

1 recipe of Pizza dough (Pillsbury Pizza in a tube will do fine)
3-4 Tbsp. Pesto
4-6 slices Deli Ham (I buy Boar’s Head brand deli meats)
4-6 slices Sharp Provolone Cheese (also Boar’s head)
6-8 slices Hot Cappicola
2-3 Roasted Bell Peppers (jarred is ok, I make my own)
1 Egg White, beaten
Cornmeal

Preheat the oven to 400º

Roll out the Pizza dough into a rectangle 24″ X 12″, with the longer side closest to you

Spread the Pesto on the dough, stopping 2 inches from the edges

Place a layer of cheese, then the meats and lastly the peppers, again stopping 2 inches from the edges

Start to roll the dough into a log with the edge closest to you

Roll as tightly as you can

Pinch the edge into the log as well as the ends

On a sheet pan, sprinkle some Cornmeal and place the log seam side down onto the pan.

Brush with the beaten Egg White and bake for 20-25 minutes, it should be very firm.

Allow to cool completely.
Slice as desired with a serrated knife.

*This is terrific as an appetizer for a party, an after-school snack, lunch with a side salad; it can be served at room temperature or cold.
My SIL put in Pepperoncinis, we are not fans. I think next time I'll try some Hot Cherry Peppers, diced, rather than the roasted Red Peppers. Maybe Roast Beef or Turkey breast; Swiss cheese or Cheddar?
The sky's the limits.
A recipe is just one else's idea.

That looks very much like the stuffed bread I had back in the early 80's. I had a scuba student, taking a private class, that owned an Italian Bakery. On his open water dives, he brought a bunch of baked goods and that stuffed bread is the only thing I remember.

MMM, yup, very Italian yeah? stuffed breads, My SIL (DH's SIL) gave me this recipe that also has the bread recipe, but I never make that part of it. I've always got some pizza dough in the deep freeze.
This last time that I made it for lunch on our first day on a road trip to Colorado, I rolled the dough out too thin... DH says, where's the bread? I like the meats and cheese, but what the ?"
:doh:

Back
Top Bottom