Take that BLT to the Next Level!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I was listening to NPR radio the other day when they were interviewing this lady who specialized in Bahn Me. She said that in Viet Nam, they take the middle out of the bread roll/bun and toast the crust until crispy. The bread must be of the soft, and thin crust variety. They then fill the little bread boats with filling and enjoy. Well, I thought that sounded like a wonderful idea. DW and I have been doing something similar with hamburger buns used for Sloppy joe sandwiches ever since I met her, except that we simply squished the bun centers down so that they would hold more filling.

Tonight, I gave did the test. I fried up 5, yes 5 slices of bacon that I had cut in half so they would fit on the hot dog bun. I used soft, whole grain hot dog buns, hollowed them out, and toasted to crispy up the crust. I spread with Miracle Whip, placed the bacon, then halved tomato slices, and finally lettuce. It made an outstanding BLT, with less carbs, more flavor, and fewer carbs. I'm thinking the only way I could improve this is to make a BLOBLOT - Bacon, Lettuce, onion, black olives, tomato sandwich. Now, say bloblot 5 times quickly.:LOL:

You could use this hollowed out bun technique with virtually any filling. The sandwich holds together better, with fewer juices escaping, is easy to handle, and makes the filling the star. I don't think I'd do it with a good roast beef sandwich with Au Jus. I'm thinking this would be great with any fillings you might put on a sub, grinder, or hoagie. It might just work with corned beef, sour kraut, and swiss cheese.

Yup, This one has many possibilities.:yum:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Sounds good. I guess you could do the same with a small crusty baguette - for those who like a crunchy crust.

Sounds good. I guess you could do the same with a small crusty baguette - for those who like a crunchy crust.

I enjoy a crunchy crust, when I'm eating bread with a stew or something. But for a sandwich, a toasted baguette might be a little too crunchy and tear up the inside gums, you know, right back behind your teeth. But if you normally use baguettes for sandwiches, then by all means. I could see doing the same thing with English muffins, or a good sourdough as well. Wish I could get sub buns made of rye. That would be tasty.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I've made lots and lots of BLT's. They're ok, but for some reason, I go to a restaurant and...they make them soooo much better than I can.
No surprise to me as that is what that diner does professionally. They even include a strawberry on the side of the plate which is cool.

I think it's because I use regular head lettuce. Buying leafy romaine lettuce for sandwiches is just too expensive. :(

Last edited:
This thread isn't so much about the BLT, and it's wonderful varieties, but the ability to stick it into a hollowed out sub bun, then toasted. That's the part that's new and a great way to serve any number of sandwich fillings. I tried it. It really works. The BLT was better. If done right, you won't miss the bread.

Oh, and the BLAT, and BBLT&C sandwiches, when I play the flavors in my mind, are great.

Now, we just need to determine the perfect filling for that hollowed sub/hoagie bun. i'm kind of thinking medium rare steak cubes, with steak sauce, shrooms, onions, and either swiss or provolone. Yep, sounds good to me.:yum:biggrin:

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

This thread isn't so much about the BLT, and it's wonderful varieties, but the ability to stick it into a hollowed out sub bun, then toasted. That's the part that's new and a great way to serve any number of sandwich fillings. I tried it. It really works. The BLT was better. If done right, you won't miss the bread.

Oh, sorry. I guess we misunderstood the title: "Take that BLT to the Next Level!" ;)

I've been doing that for years using Alton Brown's recipe: Pan Bagnat Recipe : Alton Brown : Food Network

except that I use roast chicken, Havarti cheese, romaine and Roma tomatoes. The vinaigrette dressing makes it really good. Makes a great picnic sandwich.

I used soft, whole grain hot dog buns, hollowed them out, and toasted to crispy up the crust. I spread with Miracle Whip, placed the bacon, then halved tomato slices, and finally lettuce. It made an outstanding BLT, with less carbs, more flavor, and fewer carbs.

This sounds excellent. I can think of some other options for this as well. Thanks for sharing!

I've cleaned out a channel in sturdy rolls for years, too, GG. Makes sandwiches like bratwurst, Italian sausage, or meatball so much neater. More room to stuff with stuff, too. :yum:

I've hollowed out for quite some time, too - otherwise those big Hoagie rolls are too big to bite into. :ermm::LOL:

Well...maybe not totally hollowed them out, but I pull some of the bread out.

Last edited:
Well, I misunderstood as well. But yes, once the sandwich is made, I think I have read that you may set a tinfoil covered brick or a fheavy fry pan with a couple cans borrowed from the pantry and press them down. I don't have time for that and I don't have a panini pan either, So I Just eat'em and say thank you and please may I have another.

I think you could make bread crumbs with the innards or feed the birds too.

That Good Eats sandwich episode was easily ten years ago. I remember his scooping the bread out of the baguette.

I've made lots and lots of BLT's. They're ok, but for some reason, I go to a restaurant and...they make them soooo much better than I can.
No surprise to me as that is what that diner does professionally. They even include a strawberry on the side of the plate which is cool.

I think it's because I use regular head lettuce. Buying leafy romaine lettuce for sandwiches is just too expensive. :(

Just the opposite for me. I've never had a restaurant BLT that I liked as much as my own, but I think that's because they tend to use mayo, while I strongly prefer Miracle Whip. I can use iceberg or romaine interchangeably, doesn't really matter. I've never thought of romaine as being that expensive.

One thing I've been meaning to try is something that I had one time at my aunt's home when I was 10 or 11. She wilted the lettuce in the bacon fat, and that made the sandwich somehow special - maybe a bit more good bacon flavor. It was so long ago that my memory may be faulty. I guess if it doesn't work, I can just swap the wilted for fresh and keep eating.

Bumping to present it to those who haven't seen it. Think of this sandwich technique for a pulled pork sandwich, or maybe braised short ribs with cheese. Yum.:chef:

Seeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom