The Best Way to Make a Panini

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Carolyn

Assistant Cook
What is the best way to make a panini if you don't have a panini maker? can i use a frying pan or is a grill better? and what kind of bread is better?

At home I usually use a grill pan with a weighted saute pan to press down the sandwich.

For the bread, I prefer one with a denser consistency like a Ciabatta. I find that it holds up better to getting "smashed".

a clean brick wrapped in aluminum foil works well for the weight, if you're using a cast iron grill pan. or a large saucepan, with a few heavy cans in it.

What about a George Foreman Grill?? You could put your biggest cookkbook on top for added weight, or ALL of your cookbooks, as long as I'm being creative

I would do a stovetop grill pan with a brick wrapped in foil - wrap 2 bricks so you can do 2 sandwiches at once - Or the weighted saute pan is good too.

Ciabatta is my absolute favorite bread to use.

momcooks said:
I always figured if I actually wanted one, I could use my waffle iron, it has a floating hinge.:LOL:

I tried that, momcooks, the cheese made a mess when it spilled out, but it all turned out okay. Think I prefer my cast iron grill pan with another cast iron on top with an old fashion weighty iron holding it down to supress. Needs to be a firm bread, the roll-up-into-a-ball stuff will not work.

I just made several panini sandwiches over the weekend. They turned out wonderful! :) This time I tried the brick method, instead of doing it in a cast iron or frying pan, I put it on my gas grill and got perfect grill lines and the cheese melted wonderfully.

I have tried the waffle iron method, and yes it does get a little messy. It also doesn't look as "pretty" as the gas grill w/ brick method.

I use my george foreman grill it works real good.I also use it for grilled cheese and rubens.You must have a fairly heavy duty bread so it wont get squashed.

jpmcgrew said:
I use my george foreman grill it works real good.I also use it for grilled cheese and rubens.You must have a fairly heavy duty bread so it wont get squashed.

I can see where this grill would be great for pinini's, guess I will inbest in a small GF, under $18 and a pinnini is nearly $100.

I know this thead is old, but as an FYI ~ Wal-mart now sells GE-brand panini presses for $25.

Last edited:
I don't know about the small one, but I know the larger models work great. I think the small one is supposed to get hot enough to cook a chicken breast, but whether it actually does or not is not something I know. If it does get that hot, then it is certainly hot enough to make a panini.

a cheap panini maker

A cheap panini maker is one of the best appliances i think have have bought. I use it at least a couple of times a week. I have used in the past the george foreman type grill and cast iron pans. To me there is nothing that produces results like a panini maker. Here is the unit i got:
Amazon.com: Breadman TR456 Panini Maker: Home & Garden

If you look at the reviews you can tell that people really like it. Its large, has a lot of heft to the lid so it produces nice results. You can get this unit for under $40 shipped. I absolutly love it. I would have like to have some of the features on the cuisinart gridler like removable plates so you can put them in the dishwasher but for over $100...i don't think so.

Ncage

Back
Top Bottom