The ultimate grilled cheese?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sourdough french bread (round loaf, fresh from the bakery, "regular" sliced), Cracker Barrel sharp cheddar and a fairly thick slice of swiss- just one layer- to give it that stretch.

I have to have three cheeses on my toasted cheese...
Usually, because it's the basic cheeses in my house, some strong cheddar, a sweet Gouda and some Mozarella for the lovely stringy texture. I have added and sometimes subsituted with Haloumi as well. If you leave the sarmi in the pan for long enough the Haloumi melts too and it is awesome!

For an interesting twist on an open grilled cheese made in the oven: first thinly spread some tomato paste, then a cheese of your choice (love mozarella for this), then a pinch of Origanum. You can also add some Olives if that's your thing. Grill till golden and melted. Instant mini pizza! :chef:

Amish Hoop Cheddar.

The other big debate... Do you like the bread squished down or not? I do flatten it with a spatula like my mom did as did my husband's mother.

My best friend is horrified.:ohmy:

I have 4 ways I like to make grilled cheese sangwiches and they all use homemade no knead bread and sharp or extra sharp cheddar.

1. With home grown tomato slices in the middle.
2. With lots of bacon in the middle.
3. With slices of half sour pickles in the middle.
4. Plain.

Yum.

At our house we spread a light amount of mayo on the outside and prepared pesto on the insdie. Add some provolone, or cheddar and sundried tomatoes. Grill! It's sloppy and delicious.

rye bread, american cheese and swiss cheese. then add a slice of deli imported ham fried or fried and drained bacon and a tomato slice. all add ins go in the middle with cheese on both sides of bread. fry in a little butter in pan.

My favorite grilled cheese is either my whole wheat olatmeal bread or Jewish rye (with caraway seeds) inside spread with Dijon mustard, then lots of Comte cheese (it's similar to Gruyere, but from the French side of the Alps). Butter the outsides and grill in my sandwich press. Sometimes with a slice of ripe tomato, or a couple of strips of crisp bacon, but not always. :)
Lately tho, I've been making a different one with soft, fresh Crescenza cheese, and the same breads, but dip the sandwich in a herbed, egg batter and fry in a pan on both sides until crisp and golden brown. Serve with homemade Tomato Soup! :cool:

I deffo have to say 2 slices of sourdough bread, slices of fresh tomato and the sharpest cheddar cheese I can get my hands on. Grilled with butter in the pan, not put on the bread. Serve cut in half, so you don't have to eat the crusts first! ;)

Grilled cheese

We like ours made with homemade buttermilk bread , real cheese not processed and sometimes we put tuna fish in and melt the cheese down over the tuna, yummy

If you're on a Tillamook hunt...

To "TheMetalChef": If you still haven't found Tillamook cheddar might I suggest looking for a nearby Trader Joe's. I was able to get Tillamook in OH; when we moved to MA in 2000 I didn't find it anywhere but Trader Joe's. Just a few years back they went as far south as suburban D.C. They run pretty much down the coast now, coming to a screeching halt at the FL border.

I spun my grilled cheese a bit differently last time. Used fontina on a great hearty bread. It was a cranberry-pecan multi-grain bread...really REALLY good! Not sure it would be my go-to choice all the time, though. There is something to be said for traditions.;)

to "themetalchef": If you still haven't found tillamook cheddar might i suggest looking for a nearby trader joe's. I was able to get tillamook in oh; when we moved to ma in 2000 i didn't find it anywhere but trader joe's. Just a few years back they went as far south as suburban d.c. They run pretty much down the coast now, coming to a screeching halt at the fl border.

I spun my grilled cheese a bit differently last time. Used fontina on a great hearty bread. It was a cranberry-pecan multi-grain bread...really really good! Not sure it would be my go-to choice all the time, though. There is something to be said for traditions.;)
my aunt has trader joe's in arizona also

Seeded rye bread, course ground mustard, sliced tomato, medium cheddar. Butter outside of bread and grill in pan. DO NOT CRUSH during cooking.

Yum

Call me old-fashioned, but if it's got more than bread, cheese, fat and seasoning, it's not a grilled cheese.

I made grilled cheese using focacia bread, with 2 kinds of cheese: Gruyere and cheddar with a bit of mayo...grilled it on a hot skillet with a bit of butter and it turned out awesome...i addes sides of jalapeno pepper and a tall glass of iced tea.

Cuban bread ! if youve ever goto keywest (they may do it other places too)
cuban cheese bread is the best . they use a heat press . i could eat that every day.

i have found a local market that gets cuban bread ... its good not quite the same .. and i dont have the same press that they use

Back
Top Bottom