Unhealthy Habit Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

teejnits

Assistant Cook
I love... and I mean absolutely LOVE Meatball Subs. Whether I make them at home or go to a Pizza Shop...

One place that I recently started getting subs from no longer allows me to make them the way I like.

I started putting mayo on the bun BEFORE cooking/grilling the sub. I love the taste of the mayo soaking into the bun. For the past 2+ years I've been doing this and have never gotten sick. However, this place doesn't allow me to put the mayo on before grilling it stating that it is a health risk.

I was told (in the past) that Mayo doesn't spoil in heat, but it spoils when left *out* in the sun where it has more than just heat affecting it (you leave almost anything out it will spoil). But if you keep the mayo well kept before cooking it that it should be fine when baked/cooked/grilled. I have seen many-a recipe that includes mayo (Kraft even suggested it as an *alternative* to butter in Mac'N'Cheese, of course I only saw that on one box in my entire life).

So, the question is:
Is it bad to cook/bake/or in my case, grille Mayo/Miracle Whip? I figured since some Mayo recipies (that actually make mayo) have you cook it... and since I cook eggs all the time it'd be the same thing... as long as the mayo is in good shape to begin with.

Thank you for anyone with the answer. If it's a 50/50 split, I will keep doing my thing and then post when/if I ever get sick (and it being from the mayo not from the meat or tomato sauce which also have bad reputations).

Thanks,
TJ

P.S. I don't need any advice telling me how unhealthy this habit is... it's not a daily thing and I do keep myself well trim and eat fairly healthy... but everyone needs to indulge at times... :chef: :devilish:

I don't eat mayo so I may be the wrong person to talk about this, but for what it is worth I think you are completely right in everything you have said.

BTW welcome to the site!

I heat my sandwiches with mayo in the microwave all the time, I'm not dead yet:LOL:

Welcome to DC!!
And if that is as unhealthy as you get, hah, I'm a lot worse than you, and you won't get any lectures here, that's for mom and dad:ROFLMAO:

img_251141_0_1a5bfb0c0fffea1ce344444eb85b069b.gif

of course you can cook mayo. there are lots of recipes that specify doing so including a lot of hot dips etc.

THe issue would be mayo left out at the sub shop, and insufficient cooking time to kill accumulated bacteria, then travel time home and cooling etc. I can see why a shop may not want to do it for you, but certainly making them at home should be no problem as you have control of the environment.

go ahead...cook it.

I love mayo on meatball and pizza subs also and people think i'm nuts, it's nice to know i'm not the only "weirdo" that enjoys that!

If the mayo in the sub shop is good for a cold sub, heating it as you want will not make it bad.

I often coat swordfish with mayo then grill it. There is no cooking in the mayo making process but heat does not make it toxic.

there's a sammich shop near my job that puts mayo on everything, cold or hot, and no one has gotten sick yet.
if you don't want mayo, you have to tell them several times before they slice the roll.

I have seen recipes for Mayonnaise cake - mayo is added to the mix and baked. Another I recall is a chicken recipe, where the chicken is coated w mayo, rolled in crumbs and baked. A sub shop here called Subway - will put anything on a bun - hot or cold.

Chef_Jimmy said:
I love mayo on meatball and pizza subs also and people think i'm nuts, it's nice to know i'm not the only "weirdo" that enjoys that!

My husband also drinks chocolate milk with pizza.

Who's to say? :wacko:

The first time I had a meatball sub I wondered where that stuff had been all my life.

And absolutely agree, if the mayo is good going onto the bun it will be fine.

Have never tried mayo on a meatball sub though. Gotta give it a chance.

But Chef Jimmy, what is a pizza sub?

I know probably everyone else on the planet is aware of it, but have never heard of it.

If it is half as good as a meatball sub (grew up calling them heros though) it has to be fantastic.

I like to add a Tbs (or more) to mashed potatoes, makes them creamer, like more butter.

Also a dollop in my Tuna cakes. This makes up for the water pack Tuna!

Charlie

Haha, wow. I never expected such a huge responce to the topic of Mayo :)

I love this site and will be here often. Thank you all for the friendly welcome and for all of the info.

I'll be back!

While I adore mayo, I do have to admit that I find it blasphemous that the sub shops here in Virginia insist on putting it on EVERYTHING without asking!!

Mayo on an Italian sub (salami, mortadella, cappacole ham, provolone, hot cherry peppers, etc.) turns my stomach. A good olive oil & vinegar is the only proper dressing for a good Italian sub.

I have often cooked fish (especially whole sea trout) lying on a bed of Heinz mayo mixed with chopped cucumber, and wrapped in foil, I cook this at 375 degrees F for 30 minutes. The mayo comes to no harm.
icon7.gif

One of my favorite ways to cook flounder is to spread it rather thickly with mayo, season with a bit of salt & freshly ground black pepper, & run it under the broiler. The mayo browns up nicely while protecting the thin filets from burning, & is delicious to boot.

Oops! Sorry. Forget this particular post. Wrong place! Apologies.

Attachments

• panella.jpg
    panella.jpg
    20 KB · Views: 97

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom