What goes with Pastrami in a sandwich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darkstream

Senior Cook
Yes.

I know most of you have been eating pastrami on rye for the last 20,30,40....years.

Patrami is a "new" product where I am at the moment.

"Rye" is unknown.

Also, my breakfast normally (has to ) consists of a substantial sandwich. NO FAT Bacon sandwich, ham salad/beef salad sandwich, no/reduced fat BLT, OR:

low sugar/cholesterol/saturated fat baking.

So, what ELSE is good to put in a pastrami sandwich?

toast and butter the bread, preferrably rye if you can find it, then schmear with thousand island dressing, top with sauerkraut, then pastrami, then swiss cheese, place under broiler until cheese melts. e voila!!!! a pastrami reuben, serve with a side of homefries....

A great rye, but pumpernickel will do. A great mustard - something sharp and bold. They have some that are a stout or porter flavored mustard - fabulous. Lots of sweet onion and fresh black pepper.

do what bucky says. i would have made the same suggestion but he beat me to it that butthead.
just kidding bucky

buckytom said:
toast and butter the bread, preferrably rye if you can find it, then schmear with thousand island dressing, top with sauerkraut, then pastrami, then swiss cheese, place under broiler until cheese melts. e voila!!!! a pastrami reuben, serve with a side of homefries....

Buckytom! You forgot my Kosher dill pickle!

A very happy coronary to you buckytom !

Just as a matter of INTEREST, what is NY style pastrami and egg (s) ?

Like ham&eggs, or scrambled with bits in?

So, what I get from this is that some onion & pepper might be nice. So this must be a sweet onion you can eat raw, right?

And I am now wearing my 15 year old clothes, because anything newer falls off me. I am just going to look for those puple velvet flares with the 20 inch bottoms, I saw them somewhere recently.......

darkstream, thank you, from the bottom of my.... uggghh, gasp, pant pant pant, heart. lol.

btw, did those pants come witha rubber nose and big red shoes???? can i borrow them when deadly sushi comes to nyc???

buckytom said:
btw, did those pants come witha rubber nose and big red shoes???? can i borrow them when deadly sushi comes to nyc???

I think WayneT has beat you to it, Buckyboy. Isn't he sportin' that on his new avatar...???

Of course you can.

You will have to darn the holes yourself. And use your own shoehorn.

I am afraid you will have to supply your own nose, and shoes. I would recommend also a ladder. You should find no problem with that, because NYC has some high buildings, and I understand that the NYFD has an abundant supply.

Also a large bucket of whitewash would come in handy.

Get plenty of practice swinging the ladder arround and knocking people over, and somehow managing to pour the whitewash into your pants, or at least over you.

I am sure that then you will be able to deal not only with deadly sushi, but also with pillau, fried and quite possibly boiled rice as well.

And above all, look SAD. Nothing is more unfunny than a happy clown.

Afterwards, you might like to listen to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band, an undiscovered classic of of rural mining towns brass bands, which is also the closing chapter of the Wars of the Roses.

buckytom said:

Oh man, this is my FAVORITE!!!! You know what else is really good?? Use Focaccia bread a few red onion slices and a little balsamic!

I'll eat pastrami (or any deli style meat) with most cheeses, but my favorite for pastrami is provalone. I'm not a rye kinda guy, nor other "exotic" breads, so I stick to wheat, whole grain wheat, or those multi whole grain breads. Slap some mayo on the pastrami side, and deli style mustard on the cheese side, and there you go. Never tried it toasted/broiled, but that may be good too.

Looking forward to checking out some of hte pastrami recipes here. While I think the flavoring of deli meat from the grocery isn't as bad as some say here, I can't compare it to true home made deli style meats. The deli is so dang expensive too. At home, you have the availability of freezing as needed. Which is why I bought a small chest freezer!

NEw York style Pastrami and eggs:
Slice pastrami this, cut the clices in to pieces about 1 to 1 and half inches long

Toss in a fry pan with a little butter and give them a light fry. Beat three large eggs, pour over pastrami.

Now make a decission: Do I want Pastrami scramble or Pancake style.

If you want Pancake style, put a lid on the pan to help cook the eggs for a minute or two then flip like one big pancake.

If you want scrambled, then scramble them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom