Your favrite sandwich/wrap/pita

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I love a good sandwich. And they range from my breath-killers, to the classics, like a good BLT, or Muffuletta, or stuffed pita pocket. These are some of favorites; what are yours?
1. Liverwurst on toasted rye with sliced tomato, Miracle Whip, iceberg lettuce, and sliced onions (a true breath-killer (I have a whole group of these types))
2. BLT double decker on toasted rye with Miracle Whip, with added onion made in this order. Buttered toast, Miracle Whip, bacon, sliced onion, toast, crispy lettuce, tomato, bacon, toast with more Miracle Whip
3. Reuben (need I say any more than that)
4. Stuffed Pita Pocket- pita pocket cut in half, and opened into pockets, Thin sliced medium rare sirloin steak, mung bean sprouts, A1 steak sauce, small dice tomato, shredded lettuce, thin slices fresh avocado
5. Gyro
6 Grilled Cheese - made either with plenty of thin sliced good cheeses of choice, on whole grain bread, or made with white bread ad thick slices of Velveeta Cheese loaf.
7. Muffuletta, with Hot Capicola added. and all heated in 425' oven for five minutes
8. Grilled PBJ - tales a standard tasty PBJ to gourmet levels
9. Monte Kristo
10. Thick, ham slices with a slab of either a good aged Swiss, or Ementella, or Velveeta Cheese Loaf, hot of course, with honey mustard
11 Pastrami on Jewish Rye
12. Meatball sub, with plenty of Marinara sauce, and grated, or shaved Parmesan
13. Cudighi Sub (found in Michigan's U.P.
14, fresh caught, cleaned, skinned, perch fillet, pan-fried in butter, with pan-fried potato rounds, on whole grain bread with ketchup (ate this a lot while fishing and camping with teenage best friend)
15. PBH (peanut butter and honey) with a thick layer of honey put on one slice of whole grain bread, and allowed to sink into the bread to give it a little soft crunch, and super chunky natural peanut butter (grilled, or un-grilled)

There are, of course more great sandwiches to be had. This is a good start. Though we've had threads like this before, we have new members who haven't seen the, and maybe have discovered some new and great sandwiches, either made by a shop, or in our own kitchens.

So, everyone, gives us your favorites, and your own creations.

Seeeeey; Chief Longwind of the North

Oh man, I haven't had breakfast yet. You covered a lot of territory and mostly agree they are all great,

Any sandwich-- good bread. Sour dough, crusty buns outside, pillowy inside. Whole grain. Toasted, optional.

Tuna w mayo. a little onion. sliced pickles or well drained pickle relish. Sliced olives. Tomatoes/ lettuce Some, not all at once Tuna melts

Egg salad. whole grain bread. Same as above. Crisp bacon. Scrambled egg w/ green onion and cheese.

Cream cheese w/ thin sliced cukes, tomatoes, smoked salmon if you have it. Preferably on a bagel. Bagels w/ cream cheese and home made jelly.

2nd day thanksgiving. Whole grain bread, mayo, thin slices turkey, pepper
stuffing, cranberries, maybe sweet potato slices, maybe not. Another few slives turkey. more mayo, bread. Possibly bacon, tomato.

Hot turkey sandwich. 1 slice bread. Turkey stuffing, gravy over all, cranberries.

Hot pastrami reuben.

The reuben and tuna are my faves.

As soon as I post my answer to this type of question, I see another's post and remember another sandwich I really like. That said, here's my immediate list in no particular order.

BLT
Italian Sub with everything but lettuce from our local deli
Steak bomb from a Gloucester, MA sub shop
Meatball sub with cheese
Chicken Parm Sub
Hot pork chop sandwich with tomato and mayo
Burger with tomato, onion and pickled jalapeños

Same as Andy so, I'll just claim one which has been my fave for a year.

I keep going to a local place called Bellacino's for their Cubano Grinder. I've tried to duplicate it but, mine is just not the same.

At home, we have BLT's frequently and I like make to myself a white bread, mayo, s&p onion sandwich when the craving hits me. Jeannie doesn't care for that one.

Ross

Last edited:
Same as Andy so, I'll just claim one which has been my fave for a year.

I keep going to a local place called Bellacino's for their Cubano Grinder. I've tried to duplicate it but, mine is just not the same.

Ross

Oh, yeah. Add the Cubano to my list. :yum:

I found what was to become my favorite Sandwich in a local Deli more years ago than I care to admit ; The Sandwich Board read , "Mel's Delight"... Upon inquiring, the girl behind the counter (Melanie) described it to me, and I tried it... I've been building the sandwich at home ever since.....

Mel's Delight

2 slices Russian Pumpernickel
3 (thin) slices liverwurst
2 slices fresh tomato
2 slices provolone
4 sweet pickle slices
spicy brown mustard

Slather one side of one slice of the bread and place on plate, slathered side up.
place the pickles on the bread, one slice of the cheese on the pickles, one slice of the tomato on the cheese, arrange the liverwurst slices on the tomato, place the other slice of cheese on the liverwurst, the other slice of tomato on the cheese. Slather the second slice of bread and place, slathered side down to top the sandwich.

Mel's Delight 003.jpg

I really love a club sandwich on a Sunday for lunch...with a cold beer..then a nap...lol...I rarely eat one, make dozens every day...but maybe I like eating them because it is my day off and I am drinking beer at lunch...hmmm...

There aren't a lot of sandwiches I'm crazy about, mostly because I'm not a big bread eater. But I do like a few. A good BLT, a bahn mi, grilled peanut butter and bacon, corned beef with Swiss and slaw, and a pressed Cuban.

I just finished one of my favorites today, similar to your #1, Chief! I had a frozen loaf of sour rye, and some braunschweiger, thin slices of sweet onion, and some green peppercorn mustard. Some of the last tomatoes from the garden on the side.

I don't eat sandwiches too often, but with homemade bread, it's hard to resist making them. And we are into baking season again!

dd8a8aba1b914240a13336fa48af6700.jpg

Last edited:
I love all of the sandwiches posted, And how I used go love that ice cream sandwich as pictured bt Sir-Loin of Beef. The ice cream wasn't a premium ice cream, but had great flavor, and was airy and soft. The best of these had a semi sot cookie on the outside, that left a sticky film of cookie on you fingers, that you just had to lick off. If you ate them fast enough on a hot summer day, they weren't too messy. but if that ice cream began to melt, well you needed to be in a swim suit with a river, or back yard hose nearby:LOL:, Good childhood memories.

Here's a couple of classic sandwiches I missed, but that are essential in a good sandwich list:
  • 1. Open faced sandwich, be it pork, beef, or poultry, the open faced sandwich, with the appropriate gravy, and some good smashed spuds is a true comfort food.
  • 2. Sloppy Joe -whether your favorite is as simple as ground beef with a can of Sloppy Joe sauce, or as involved as my own favorite recipe for the same, Sloppy Joes are a hit all over, from lunch cafeterias, to dinner at home.
  • 3. Pulled pork - again, it doesn't matter if it's made in a slow cooker, pressure cooker, or wood fired pit, served with your favorite BBQ sauce, this classic is a big deal. Pulled pork sandwiches are just plain yummy.
  • 4. French-Dip - Thin, medium rare slices of standing rib, on a good sub bun, with horseradish, and au jus, need I say more?
  • 5. Philli Cheese Steak, yep, it's just plain good.
  • 6. Potted Meat - I know, many of you find this disgusting. However, mixed with Miracle whip, and sweet pickle relish, with a bit of paprika thrown in, this is just plain tasty. It was served to me when I was a small child, as it was cheap, and my divorced, working mother couldn't afford expensive foods. It tarred good to me, and is now a comfort food. But I much prefer the Libby brand over Hormel.
  • 7. Salmon Salad sandwich, same as a tuna slalad sandwich, but made with drained, canned salmon instead, Goota have onions on this one. It's another of the breathkiller sandwiches:ohmy:.
  • 8. Turkey & Dressing sandwich -this is a Chief favorite, made on a good multi-grain bread with mayo. I don't want the smashed or sweet spuds on it, or the cranberry sauce. I just want the juicy turkey, smoked, or baked, and a good sage, bread dressing. It's my essential Thanksgiving day leftover meal, eaten cold, or eaten cold, or hot with gravy.
  • 9. Open-faced Salisbury Steak, with Onion Gravy
  • 10. Grilled PBJ, or PBH, or PB with apple butter. Grilling takes this classic to a whole new level.

That's all I can think of for now, oh, two more:
  • 11. Lobster roll
  • 12. Crab Salad
Ok, I'm done.

Seeeeewya; Chief Longwind of the North

Italian Cold Cuts Sub (with hot Cappy)
Fried Shrimp Po'boy
Fried Oyster Po'Boy
Softshell Crab Sandwich or Po'boy
Muffaletta
Blackened Grouper Sandwich
Meatball Sub
Sausage and Pepper Sub (no green bell)
Meatball Banh Mi
Club Sandwich
T-Day after dinner sandwich or two
Chicago Beef
Reuben
Pastrami on Rye
Dagwood
Liverwurst on Pumpernickel
Steak Sandwich with Provolone (not cheese steak)
Cuban Sandwich
Media Noche
Meatloaf Sandwich
Pulled or Sliced Pork Sandwich
Brisket Sandwich
Roast Beef Sandwich (including open faced with gravy)
My Deli Tuna Special (yellowfin in olive oil only)
Homemade Ice Cream Sandwich
"Mom's Sandwiches" (Egg battered and pan fried)
Grilled Gruyere and Caramelized Onion Sandwiches (with homemade tomato soup)

I'm not listing any burgers, but they are sandwiches.

One of my favs is Andrew Zimmern's porchetta sliders with caramelized onions, gruyere and roasted vege mayo.

:LOL:

Love it.

My favorite standard sandwich is a BLT, sometimes with egg. But I eat a lot of pita sandwiches and wraps. What goes in them is just whatever I'm in the mood for at the time. My favorite wrap is a BLT (surprise surprise) toasted on my stove top griddle and pita sandwiches I stuff with pretty much everything.

I eat more wraps than anything else. I'll sometimes even stuff them with shrimp and other fixins.

Last edited:
Watched a movie, Chef, that featured a food truck selling Cubanos, sandwiches of ham, roast pork, and swiss cheese, pressed in a panini grill.

I made some ciabatta rolls, with a combination of sourdough and yeast.

nBOmiqr.jpg

Rather than buying an electric press, I dug out a Le Creuset grill pan and made a heavy press from scrap steel bar

30Ej9jF.jpg

It works a treat for Cubanos, panini, or the like.

x7qxHza.jpg

I actually just ate an amazingly good sandwich. French bread, working from the bottom up:

jalapeno mustard
roast beef
hard salami
pepper jack cheese
German bologna
more hard salami
sharp cheddar cheese
more German bologna
Wish-Bone Parmesan-Peppercorn Ranch dressing

On Wednesday, I hit the store and bought the cold cuts and the loaf of French bread. I also bought a lot of salad fixings, so after I got home I made a sandwich a bit similar to the above, except I used up some honey ham from the fridge and added cucumber slices, tomatoes and romaine lettuce.

I like to have two or more kinds of meat on my sandwiches. Beef and turkey, or ham and salami; that kind of thing. There's nearly always some kind of cheese, and I generally prefer to use some kind of salad dressing as opposed to mayonnaise or miracle whip. If it's rye bread, or pumpernickel, I'll use butter.

I still (in my 60's) like the occasional peanut butter and jelly sandwich, but I don't like it on rye or pump. And I don't like grape jelly.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom