A couple of general baking questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Although not directly related, I get my eggs from my chickens. Although rare, on occasion ill have a ' bad egg'. Therefore, not only do I add them one at a time, but I crack them into a separate bowl ( from what Im making), then add them at a time, so if there is a bad egg, it doesn't contaminate the other eggs or the whole dish itself. One of those things that I learned the hard way.

Although not directly related, I get my eggs from my chickens. Although rare, on occasion ill have a ' bad egg'. Therefore, not only do I add them one at a time, but I crack them into a separate bowl ( from what Im making), then add them at a time, so if there is a bad egg, it doesn't contaminate the other eggs or the whole dish itself. One of those things that I learned the hard way.

In all the years I've been cooking with store bought eggs, I've never had a bad one Larry. I wonder why? If I ever did, I'd do the same as you though. :sick:

Last edited:
In all the years I've been cooking with store bought eggs, I've never had a bad one Larry. I wonder why? If I ever did, I'd do the same as you though. :sick:

Its only really happened once, and now I know ( first hand) why someone would take being called a rotten egg as a terrible insult. Occasionally, with the amount of eggs we get, some are a little older than I'd like, the yolks looks little dull and the whites a little cloudy. I tried developing a system to keep track of the freshest eggs, but things dont always work out. So, I just do the one egg at a time technique.

The one time incident, was making a cake and my son cracked open an egg ( into the 3 already cracked eggs, and this one was like a greenish gray, and smelled 100X worse than the word I want to say, but won't , cause Im a gentleman ( although my wife might disagree). Any way , my son looked at me and said " what should l do ? ", I said , " Dont just stand there , get it the hell out of the house". I almost vomited , it was so bad. What I think happened , is there was a hairline fracture in the shell, and it got rotten over time. Every now and then, the hens are a little rough with the eggs. Most , if cracked, is kinda obvious, but other times, you only notice the fracture line when rinsing them off.

My mother taught me to do that. I usually do. I have had the occasional bad egg and then you are really glad you did it that way.

I think the worst bad egg I EVER, EVER had was an egg that hadn't been properly candled. Not only was the egg rotten, but so was the unfinished un-hatched chick inside. I am still gagging just thinking about it. And that was more than 20 years ago! That is one dozen eggs that couldn't get out the door fast enough.

Lesson learned. Now I crack each egg separately into a small bowl before adding it to the rest of ingredients.

I think the worst bad egg I EVER, EVER had was an egg that hadn't been properly candled. Not only was the egg rotten, but so was the unfinished un-hatched chick inside. I am still gagging just thinking about it. And that was more than 20 years ago! That is one dozen eggs that couldn't get out the door fast enough.

Lesson learned. Now I crack each egg separately into a small bowl before adding it to the rest of ingredients.

A sheer thought of it makes me gagg. Eww

The problem with just one bad egg in the carton can and often does provide a proving ground for all kinds of nasties for the rest of the eggs in the carton. Such as Salmonella, etc. Any time I have ever found one bad egg, I tossed the whole carton.

Back
Top Bottom