A silly question about rising, please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rabyn

Assistant Cook
I've been cooking for a few years and it's recently become my passion. I have never actually baked anything. Bachelor living alone, so figured I might as well learn to cook.

So I thought I'd try my hand baking. It's not going so well. I found recipe on foodnetwork.com for beer bread. Here's the recipe.

3 cups self-rising flour
1/2 cup sugar
12 ounces beer
2 tablespoons melted butter

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Butter a loaf pan and set aside. In a large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, and beer and mix well. The mixture should be sticky. Pour into the loaf pan and bake for 55 minutes. At the last 3 minutes of baking, remove from oven, brush the top of the loaf with butter and return to oven.

Followed the recipe to a tee first loaf with a Yuengling Lager and added coriander seeds as I thought it might it might offest the the sugar a bit with an earthy tone. Tasted great, still al little sweet, but it didn't rise. :( So I tried again wondering if I acidently used my regular flour instead of self rising. Used less sugar this time, waiting for it to cool, but again didn't rise.

So, recognizing I have never baked anything before, what am I doing wrong? Do I have to let the dough sit in the pan for a while? Or is it supposed to rise in the oven? Or does it rise when it's done? (wouldn't make sense to me). Or is this supposed to be a flat bread? I feel a tad silly.

I read elevation matters. It's about 65 degrees today slightly humid. I'm in the foothills of the Smokey mountains in upstate Greenville SC.

My thanks in advance.

Rabyn

Last edited:
Rabyn, self rising flour has baking powder added to it. If your flour is old, the baking powder may have lost its "oomph". Try adding a 1/2 tsp of baking powder to the recipe and see if that helps.

Thanks for your reply.. but do I need to let the mixture sit for a while before baking?

Rabyn

You shouldn't. You only need to do that if there is yeast that needs to rise the dough. A beer batter shouldn't need it. This bread likely won't rise very high, but it should rise a bit.

Back
Top Bottom