Bread making - simple question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crankin

Senior Cook
I'm new to making (yeast) breads and as I am looking at recipes, most of them call to cover the bread and allow it to rise for a certain period of time. When the recipe says to "cover" the bread, how does one exactly do that? I'm guessing covered by a damp kitchen towel? Or does it mean to actually cover it (i.e. place a bowl over the bread and completely cover?).

Thanks

I have layed a piece of plastic wrap across the bowl, a kitchen towel, and also turned the dough ball out onto a piece of marble and set the bowl over it. They all seem to work.

I have layed a piece of plastic wrap across the bowl, a kitchen towel, and also turned the dough ball out onto a piece of marble and set the bowl over it. They all seem to work.

What he said.

I've been making all our bread products for over 30 years and, depending on how large my quantity of dough is, I use any of the methods pacanis suggested.

Same here. I have a set of towels that are specifically for bread making. They are big enough to cover my biggest bowl. I find that keeping the dough in the bowl makes it easier to put the bowl in a warm place for rising. I use the light bulb in my oven for the warmth it gives off. Perfect for rising dough. :chef:

Do any of you spray with a veggie spray on the plastic wrap to keep it from sticking to the dough?
kades

Do any of you spray with a veggie spray on the plastic wrap to keep it from sticking to the dough?
kades

I have. Like after forming a French Bread, covering it and letting it rise some more. I usually spray the loaf though, lay the plastic wrap across it and then a light kitchen towel. (I too have specific cotton towels I use)

kades

I never thought to spray. I use towels and not plastic. I don't want to spray my towels. In fact I don't think I like the idea of spraying the bread either. I am afraid it might affect the taste of the crust. I find that if the dough has risen enough to touch the towel, I can pull it from the towel very ca:chef:refully. And what dough I leave on the towel is so miniscule, it doesn't matter.

I've had this thread bumping around in my head for a little while and have to offer additional information.

If you are referring to how the dough is handled during the second rise, I can give you further advice.

Once my dough has gone through its first rise and has been shaped into whatever it's supposed to be, I lightly spray the top of the dough with vegetable spray such as Pam.

Then, I put a bowl of water, about 6-ounces or so in size, into my microwave. Heat the water on HIGH for 4 minutes. Let the microwave "rest" for about a minute before I add my shaped dough. Leave the hot bowl of water in the microwave along with the dough. Close the door and let the dough rise for the recommended time per the recipe.

Best proofing box I've ever found.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom