Bread rising problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lemonio

Assistant Cook
i wasn't sure where to post this, but i am cooking foccacia right now, (i am taking cooking in school, and trying at home,) and the bread isn't rising! I am not sure what the problem is, was my water to hot? did i add to much or to little yeast, should i have not put olive oil on pan? will it not rise in pan, if not leaning against all the walls? what could be the problem and is there any way to fix it? please help

Trying to watch bread rise is akin to watching grass grow. It cant be done. Depending upon the temperature and humidity of your kitchen, your dough could take anywhere from 1 to 6 hours. Is your dough in a draft? that will surely slow it down.

If this is the first rise, it should be in a bowl, and not the baking pan. Did you proof your yeast in lukewarm water before proceding with the recipe? If so, you will know that the yeast is active.

i proofed the yeast. i covered it after about 5 minutes, but there wasn't much draft. i put the bread in a pan which was probably a mistake, and i am guessing my water might have been too hot. i used some sort of quick rise which might have been mistake, but it said in ten minutes and 1 hour was no results

Last edited:
The quick rise shouldn't make a difference. It could be your water temp. or it could be your water. My sister lives in the country and has well water. She had no problem with making dough rise when she lived in the city with city water but ever since she moved, she has not had dough rise. I suggested she use bottled water and guess what! Dough raised wonderfully! There must be something in her water source to kill the yeast.

Back
Top Bottom