Bread type question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevin86

Senior Cook
At the grocery store I see French bread, Italian bread, white bread, etc. These are all white breads what’s the difference?

We’re home with the self quarantine and I’m a cooker but we have a ton of flour etc and we used to make our own bread and buns but not in awhile now. Lol, our yeast is expired so have to replace that.

I don’t want to make braided breads or anything just something for breakfast or burgers or whatever my mrs likes the full sized loaves so we do use a bread pan. Any we have white all purpose flour. What are your recommendations she likes soft and fluffy bread.

Thanks for your time

If you are looking for light and fluffy loaves, add some butter or oil to them - around 4 tb to 6 c of flour - and make the dough fairly sticky, not too firm. The fat will help them store longer, as well - the usual dinner breads, like the French and Italian, usually stale faster, since they have no fat added.

I have kept my yeast in the fridge for ages - way past expiry dates. I buy in a foil bag which I divy up into an old jar of yeast. I use the jar constantly and the foil pack is sealed in a plastic zip ock with most of the air removed. Has never failed me.

In other words - don't throw out your yeast just because it is 'past BBF'.

Test it, no guarantees but you might be surprised.

I have kept my yeast in the fridge for ages - way past expiry dates. I buy in a foil bag which I divy up into an old jar of yeast. I use the jar constantly and the foil pack is sealed in a plastic zip ock with most of the air removed. Has never failed me.

Agree. You might need to add a little more than usual. You'll know after the first time you bake with it.

So the grocery stores are sold out of yeast I guess we’ll try our hand at sofa bread

When there isn't any yeast available, it's time for quick breads, like soda bread, bannock, or biscuits. They won't be as good for sandwiches, but they are still useful.

I get my yeast from Amazon in 2lb bags, Red Star Active Dry yeast, https://amzn.to/3dBEqNc.

I keep it in the fridge and last me a very very long time, and compare to store bought yeast, it's only pennies.

Lol mine expired March 2017 :(

Moving things around today I found our bunt pans and my try in one of those to be kinda classy

Depending where you live, if it is temperate enough, there are wild yeast spores floating around in the air. Simply make a thick paste of flour, water, and a bit of sugar. This is kept in a glass jar, or crock. place cheesecloth over the opening and place on a window sill. The yeast spores will make their way into the paste (slurry) and begin ot multiply. After a few days, you will have sourdough starter. The reason sourdough is sour is that the wild yeast can withstand a more acidic environment than can commercial yeast. Acid s sour.

As yeast gobbles up sugars and starches, they produce CO2 and acid. The CO2 leavens the dough, while the acid flavors the bread. So, if you can't get your hands on packets, or containers of store-bought yeast, it is naturally present in the air. Live yeast spores have even been found in the vacuum of space, alive and well.

Once your sourdough has started, you have an inexhaustible source of yeast, as long as you feed it and take care of it.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Back
Top Bottom