Chief's Multi-Grain Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I've been making breads for a long time. I recently tried out what was supposed to be a very good bread machine. I didn't like the holes in the bottom of the loaf, or the uneven browning of the crust. I sent it back. However, I purchased this -
https://www.amazon.com/USA-Pan-1140LF-Bakeware-Aluminized/dp/B0029JQEIC

I also have a high quality Calphalon bread pan constructed out of what appears to be the same heavy gauge steel, and in the same manner. But it isn't aluminized, but does have a stick-free coating. They cook the bread equally well, and the loaves just slide out when done. I don't have to run a knife, or silicone spatula around the edges. I just invert the pans and the loaves come out effortlessly. The USA pan does a better job of making a perfectly evenly browned crust pn every side of the bread.

So, I've tried a couple of bread recipes for whit bread. I used King Arthur Unbleached bread flour, and SAF RED Instant yeast with each recipe. The breads came out very nice. My favorite so far is this:

White Sandwich Bread

Pre-Ferment (Starter):
1 3/4 cups (235 grams) unbleached bread flour
1/2 tsp. (1 gram) SAF Red or Gold instant yeast*
1 1/4 tsp. (5 grams) kosher salt
2/3 cup (150 grams) cold filtered water
White Sandwich Bread:
5 1/2 cups (715 grams) unbleached bread flour
1/2 cup (65 grams) unbleached all-purpose*flour
2 tsp. (7 grams) SAF Red or Gold instant yeast*
3 3/4 tsp. (15 grams) kosher salt
3 tbs. (40 grams) granulated white sugar
2 cups (480 grams) scalded milk cooled to room temperture
5 tbs. (75 grams) unsalted butter, at room temperature

Make Preferment the day before. Also called a Poolish

Remove the preferment from the fridge and divide into 6 pieces. Place flour, sugar, salt, and yeast into a large bowl and whisk together. Add milk and poolish pieces. Knead for ten minutes. Wet hands and use a small piece of dough to perform a window test. If the dough is good, rub a small amount o butter all over the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest at room temp. for 1 hour. Add the butter and knead for 5 minuter to fully incorporate the butter into the dough. Do the window test again. If the dough passes, divide the dough into two equal pieces and fold all edges inward. Shape into a rectangle the length of your loaf pans. Gently rock the dough to make the bottom seam smooth. Place into well buttered bread pans. Dust plastic wrap with four and place over the bread pans. Let rise for about an hour at room temperature, or until the dough rises a little over the pan top. Preheat the oven to 350’ F. brush the dough top with meltged butter and place in the oven. Bake forf 35 minutes. The bead should be lightly browned and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from the oven and let rest for 3 minutes. Invert loaf pans to remove bread to cooling rack. Brush the loaves with butter. Let cool for 2 hours before slicing.

This dough can also be used to make dinner rolls, cloverleaf rolls, cinnamon bread, etc.

This recipe came out very good, with great texture and flavor. If you want a thicker crust, place an oven-proof, heavy pan in the bottom of yur oven while preheating. When you pl;ace the loaf pans into the oven, throw 3 ice cubes into the hot pan and cook as normal. The steam from the melting ice will firm, and thicken the crust, making it perfect to eat with soups,chowders, bisque, or chili.

Today, I'm making a multi-grain bread. Here's mu recipe:

Chief's Mu;ti-grain Bread
Ingredients:
3 cups unbleached bread flour
1/4 cup pearl barley
1/4 cup white chia seed
1/4 cup rolled oats
1/4 cup almond flour
1/4 cup buckwheat flour
2 tbs. vital wheat gluten
1/4 cup tapioca flour
1/4 cup broken sunflower seeds
1/4 cup psililum husks
2 tsp. SAF Red or Gold instant yeast*
3 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
3 tbs. granulated white sugar
2 cups plus 2 tbs. cool water
5 tbs. neutral cooking oil

Place all dry ingredients, except the unbleached white flour into a blender, and blend to make a smooth flour. Place flour, sugar, salt, multi-grain mix ture, and yeast into a large bowl and whisk together. Add room temperature water. Knead by hand for ten minutes, or with a dough hook in your mixer for 7 minutes. Wet hands and use a small piece of dough to perform a window test. If the dough is good, rub a small amount of butter all over the dough, cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let rest at room temp. for 1 hour. Add the butter and knead for 5 minutes to fully incorporate the butter into the dough. Do the window test again. If the dough passes, divide the dough into two equal pieces and fold all edges inward.

Shape each portion into a rectangle the length of your loaf pans. Gently rock the dough to make the bottom seam smooth. Place into well buttered bread pans. Dust plastic wrap with four and place over the bread pans. Let rise for about an hour at room temperature, or until the dough rises a little over the pan top. Preheat the oven to 350’ F. brush the dough top with melted butter and place in the oven. Bake for 40 minutes. The bead should be lightly browned and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from the oven and let rest for 3 minutes. Invert loaf pans to remove bread to cooling rack. Brush the loaves with butter. Let cool for 2 hours before slicing.

Again, this is a solidly good loaf of bread that is great for French Toast, or toast and butter with fried eggs, as an accompaniment to pasta, stew, or soups. It's also very good sandwich bread, especially for grilled cheese., and BLT's.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
I baked up the bread last night, let it cool, and put it into a large zipper bag. I sliced the loaf up this morning and tried a piece. If you are looking for a soft and tender crumb, that still holds up to spreading butter, or jelly on it, with a thin and soft crust, this is it. This is some o f the best bread I've made. I am very pleased with this batch. You need to try it.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom