CWS' Bread Machine Rye Bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I mix this up in the bread machine on the dough cycle (because I don't have a stand mixer at my parents' house).

This is the order in which ingredients go in my 1-1/2 lb bread machine:

1-1/4 c water (80F)
1/3 c barley malt syrup (or dark Karo which is a bit sweeter)
2 T canola oil

On a sheet of wax paper, mix:

2-1/4 c bread flour
1-1/4 c rye flour
1 T cocoa
2 T instant coffee
1 tsp anise seed (toasted in a dry pan)
1 tsp caraway seed (toasted in a dry pan)
2 tsp orange zest
1/3 c powdered milk
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 c rye flakes

Dump that in the bread machine on top of the liquid.

Make a well in the center, and put 3 tsp yeast, 1 T sugar.

Once the dough cycle ends, put the ball of dough on a cookie sheet that is greased and has cornmeal on it. Let rise for 30-45 minutes.

Using a straight edge razor, score the top of the bread. Brush with cold coffee and sprinkle with rye flakes.

Bake at 375 for 30 minutes (the center of the bread should be 190F).

Don't like "seeds" in your bread, run them through a coffee grinder (or whatever you have for grinding spices). You really don't want to leave them out.

Attachments

• rye_bread.jpg
    rye_bread.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 304
Last edited:
CWS, your bread loaf looks downright tasty! And the recipe looks do-able.

Is the "bake to 190" a bread baking standard? All I ever read is bake until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Sounds iffy to me, though it works.

CWS, your bread loaf looks downright tasty! And the recipe looks do-able.

Is the "bake to 190" a bread baking standard? All I ever read is bake until the loaf sounds hollow when tapped. Sounds iffy to me, though it works.
Yum, yes, but if you want the bread to be "done" 190 F is that. I do the tap sounds hollow myself.

CWS, that looks like one mighty tasty loaf of bread. :yum: Just one quick question. You said:

...Make a well in the center, and put 3 tsp yeast, 1 T sugar...

Would "instant yeast" be an OK kind to use? I can pick up packets of Hodgson Mills fast-acting for something like 3/$1, but I have some of a pound package of the instant in my freezer.

I'll be sure to try this as soon as I'm home to my own stove, my bread machine, and my thermometer. Just started testing my bread that way and really like it!

edit: Ooo, Ooo, one more question. Can I bake it in a loaf pan? I have several Bennington Pottery ones I use for bread when we want a loaf shape.

Thanks!

My Dad buys "instant yeast." I let the machine go to from 158 to 120 on the dough cycle. I definitely will be baking it in a loaf pan the next time I make this.

Just an update on the bread...it is gone. That didn't last long at all. I got the barley malt syrup at the health food store in the beer making section. I have a number of Swedish/Norwegian bread recipes I want to try that call for it. I am guessing that the recipes I have from my grandma that use dark Karo syrup are because she couldn't find the barley malt syrup. Mind you, I had to buy a 1.5 l can and it was $15. However, it should last awhile and homemade bread is one of those things that a person should be able to enjoy.

Last edited:
Thank you. That will give reason to dig my bread machine out of garage.

But I do have question about powder milk. What can I substitute it with? Has to be No Dairy.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom