Different Taste

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roby

Assistant Cook
Half Whole Wheat Bread – 1 1/2 lb loaf
Ingredients
1 1/2 cups bread flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat bread flour or White Wheat
3/4 Tablespoon Vital Wheat Gluten
1 1/2 tsp yeast
1 Tablespoon Sugar
3 Tablespoon oil
1 tsp salt
1 egg
3/4 Cups Milk Warmed + 1tblspn

We made this in Tn and it was good we have been here in Fl. for 7 mo.
Just got around to making some bread the above and a loaf Steak House Wheat Bread. The wheat 1 slice and dumped it and the above was our best bread here neither one tasted as good as in Tn.
We brought the flour with us from Tn. and the water here is so so.
With all that said why is it not the same?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, Roby!

You say you brought the flour with you, and most of the other items would be pretty much the same. Water can vary, some. Also, are you using the same brand of yeast? This can vary some, though most are instant/rapid rise, these days. Another variable, that can matter a lot, is the room temp. Is it much warmer where you are now? And did you use an oven thermometer in both of your ovens? If not, the temp in the ovens could vary, causing a flavor difference.

These are a few things that came to mind, thinking about things that could cause a difference. I'm sure it was still good - nothing better than homemade bread!

What Pepperhead said. The only other thing I can think of is the milk. Is it the same percentage of milk fat? Is there any other difference in the milk, e.g., buying it at a farm vs grocery store? Different flavour to the milk?

All things are the same as Tn. except the water, altitude, milk and didn't use water in it. Same yeast, flour.

Does flour go bad or lose it's tast?

WW flour definitely goes bad, that is, rancid. I keep mine in the freezer, or the back porch at this time of year. And even white flours go off a little , but not like WW.

I keep the whole grain flour that I am using frequently in a canister on the counter. Any "spare" whole wheat flour goes in the freezer, like Pepperhead does. It's the wheat germ in whole grain flours that gets rancid. Possibly the farina part of flour goes rancid too, but at a much slower rate. I don't have any experience with white flour.

We bought new flour and the same cocoa and will try it again.
Thanks for he come backs.

Back
Top Bottom