Help with breadsticks!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Glad to hear it, SQ, I know it's anal but I really like for my food to be consistent and this is the only way I know how.......I use my electronic kitchen scales all the time....esp. over here where they use the metric system..........

Oh, how I remember the first bread sticks that I made. You see, they were supposed to be hamburger buns, but I firgot to spray the plastic wrap that I put on them when the began proofing, and when I went to remove it it was stuck to the top of this beautifully risen dough and they all deflated. So I popped them in the oven anyway, and when they came out they were butt ugly. My son looked at them and said to just sprinkle some parmesan cheese and garlic powder on them, and call them bread sticks. Duh! (20-something year olds say DUH! to their parents a lot) Another delicious mistake in the process of learning to bake breads. Yours are much prettier than these were...

img_663964_0_ef6b2c0daae14672bf362720327f2489.jpg

Today I just use my regular white bread recipe for bread sticks and roll them out into long, thin tubes and let them raise. A few minutes in the oven at 400 and they're perfect. No need to get real fancy unless you want to.

Keep on experimenting. We enjoy your persistence and perseverance.

Thats funny Joe!:LOL:
Your breadsticks look yummy!! I wouldnt have thought that a white bread dough would work for bread sticks, but then what do I know :ROFLMAO: Im going to experiment some more today, Im looking for another recipe, maybe crusty rolls....
Thanks for the compliments;)

As you know, I have been advocating that a scale is an invaluable too for the baker for repeatability. Kat, if you don't have one, consider asking for one for Christmas or your birthday, or better yet, do like I do and just go buy it for yourself. The head cook in every home deserves to have good equipment to work with.

Kat, if you have not bought your sesame seeds yet, you can get the 19 oz bottle with the shaker/pour lid at Gordon Food Service (GFS) or Sam's Club for $6.99 or so. I just finished my first bottle in only 4-1/2 to 5 months. Much better value than the small bottles found in the grocery store. (I can't believe people actually pay those kinds of prices for seeds and spices.)

As far as burger/sandwich buns, I use 2-1/2 oz for mine. The 3 oz. werre just too big for our liking, even though they are extremely tasty. The ones shown below have been coated with egg wash (egg white with a little water to thin it out) for color, and to hold the sesame seeds on the bun. Spritzing with water would not make the seeds adhere like egg wash does.

img_663970_0_1a5c9c31243678ead860c33c3bd9e5a4.jpg

In fact, I think I'll bake some buns and rolls today, since I don't have any jobs scheduled.

JoeV

you're right Joe, 3 was big... I put that in my notes for next time....
3 oz was ok for the pulled pork sammies, since you could just pile more meat on them, but for a home-made burger, it woulda been too much.
BTW, what do you think of attempting an even softer roll by using cake flour to make them?

you're right Joe, 3 was big... I put that in my notes for next time....
3 oz was ok for the pulled pork sammies, since you could just pile more meat on them, but for a home-made burger, it woulda been too much.
BTW, what do you think of attempting an even softer roll by using cake flour to make them?

I have a box of cake flour but have not opened it or worked with it yet. Someone else will have to chime in to give you an answer. I really don't need my rolls to be any softer, because they would probably fall apart. I use the Basic White Bread for KitchenAid Mixer recipe for my rolls, and freeze them as soon as they cool. We then take them out as needed and give them 22 sec's in the nuke, and they are just like they came out of the oven. Very soft...very delicious (If I do say so myself!:LOL:)

Oops! Before some asks, here's that great recipe, which is NOT copyrighted, so I can share it here. It's in volume and weight for those with scales:

Basic White Bread Recipe
For KitchenAid Stand Mixer

Ingredients:

1/2C (4 oz.) milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast or 2 teaspoons Instant Yeast (.34 oz.)
1 1/2 C (12 oz.) warm water (105F to 110F)
5-6 C (1# 13 oz.) Unbleached bread flour

Directions:

1. Combine milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm (less than 110 F.
2. If using active dry yeast, dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. If using Instant Yeast, just add it to the flour and mix it in before adding liquids.
3. Add lukewarm milk mixture and water to 4 1/2 C (1# 6 oz.) flour. Attach bowl and dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and mix 1 minute. Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 C (2.5 oz.) at a time (slowly so it doesn’t fly out of bowl), until dough clings to hook and cleans side of bowl. Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes longer, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch. (At this point I take it out and knead for 5-7 minutes while adding flour as needed, or until I'm pleased with the feel of the dough. For me, it's all about that feel when it comes to dough.)
4. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about an hour.
5. Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
6. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

For Hamburger and hot dog buns, divide the dough into 2-1/2 oz portions and shape into a ball. Allow to rest for 5 minutes and then flatten with the heel of your hand and place on cookie sheet dusted with cornmeal. Allow about 1” between rolls for expansion/proofing. For hot dog buns, shape into about 5-6” long tubes with seam down. Brush with wisked egg white/water mix and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake at 400° F for 12-14 minutes or until 200° F.

Makes 2 loaves of bread or 19 buns @ 2-1/2 oz each.

um, SQ, I would think that cake flour would be a no-no as it's low in gluten...... I would suspect and it's the gluten that forms the bridgework for the bread when it's rising...........so NO ..............from this side of the loaf.......No .....don't make it from cake flour..........

How do you make long, thin breadsticks and have them keep that shape in the oven?

My bread items usually pull back into a more rounded shape. It really annoys me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom