Home-Made Yeast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chef tony

Washing Up
1 miniral water
1 apple
1 flower

cut the apple and put it in to the miniral water for 2 days

for 1 cup of flower use 1 cup of water (miniral "appeld")
mix the water and the flower and in 30min you have yeast

comment on this :chef:

Last edited:
Personally, I just buy the stuff from my shop. It's measured, and I know what I'm buying :chef:

Hi Chef Tony, sure, that will work.

Yeast are everywhere, particularly on the surfaces of fruits.

That is why if you buy some apple juice, without preservatives, you will get fermentation and a 'wine' just by letting it sit (we do this yearly by the way, but add some sugar to the apple juice to help the yeasty beasties along).

The only problem is you are getting the wild variety of yeast that happens to be attached to the apple you chose. The product you will get will depend upon those yeasty beasties.

I am with Ishbel. As usual, she is always right, if I need yeast I buy it.

The stuff is cheap and readily available in the baking aisle of the supermarket(unless you are going to make wine or beer. Then you may wish a special yeast for which we go to an appropriate store or order on the web).

Wild yeast is also the reason that, for many centuries, we have had such great foods as sauerkraut and kimchee.

And the reason San Francisco sourdough is so flavorful is that they have a yeast they have propagated and used for years.

But if you lkie the stuff you make, use it.

And take care.

well this yeast giving flavore to the bread ( sour taste bread ) but some ppl love this and more and more bakers use this now and i love it to

Last edited:
Wild Yeasts can be found on Juniper Berries and Raspberry Canes.
The Yeast on the Juniper Berries which will rub off on fingers can be used in making bread. Mix a cup or so of Juniper berries into the dough. Leave set for several hours and then remove the Juniper Berries. Kids are great for this. The Yeast will remain in the dough.
The Yeast on the Raspberry Canes can be removed by pulling the Raspberry Canes through the dough. I did this while camping. It did cause the Ash Cakes to rise.

Glad I followed this thread, I use water that I have boiled potatoes in and blend this with the flour,it takes a lot longer to bubble, but is not bad, off to try chef Tony's now. crusty61

An easy way to make natural yeast for sourdough to crush grapes and combine them with rye flour. Allow to ferment for 3 days, and it should be ready to use. Rye ferments readily.

I have been baking sourdough because i have come to believe that it is more digestable. Wheat and other grains need to be soaked or fermented in order to neutralize phytites (Im sure I didnt spell that right) the dont allow the protien to be digested.

Bakers yeast makes the dough rise to fast for this to happen.

question

1 miniral water
1 apple
1 flower

cut the apple and put it in to the miniral water for 2 days

for 1 cup of flower use 1 cup of water (miniral "appeld")
mix the water and the flower and in 30min you have yeast

comment on this :chef:
Do you mean mineral water and flour?

Back
Top Bottom