Homemade bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm wondering what would happen if I'd take water out completely?
When I make French bread, I always put a pan of water and a water-soaked brick in the oven. I also mist the walls of the oven. I do bake it at 400 or 425. I would try bumping up the oven temp. Also, do you have the water in while preheating the oven?

I did not have water when I was preheating. Put the tray with water in right before the bread, per recipe.

Hmmm...I always put mine in when preheating the oven. I "mist" the oven walls when I put the bread in. Don't know why I do that--that's the way my grandma did it.

I'll try it again soon, it was very simple recipe, though rising took a long time, but that is no problem.

Experiment! Like I said, I don't know why I do it the way I do except that was how my grandma did it and that is how I learned to do it.

Water creates steam, and steam helps the loaf puff up in the oven.

When I bake bread, I bake it in a dutch oven. For the first half hour, I leave the lid on the dutch oven. This creates steam, which increases the size of the loaf. For the last 20-30 minutes, I remove the lid. This helps crisp up the crust. The result is a loaf with both good rise and a good crust.

I love to make both bread and cheeses at home. There is a wonderful bread that is made from the whey you pour off when making mozzarella....rather than just throwing away this typically unused product, it can be made into a beautiful loaf that is crusty on the outside but tender and fluffy on the inside.

I love to make both bread and cheeses at home. There is a wonderful bread that is made from the whey you pour off when making mozzarella....rather than just throwing away this typically unused product, it can be made into a beautiful loaf that is crusty on the outside but tender and fluffy on the inside.
Do you have a recipe or link to one? I plan on making a soft cheese in the near future. Would love to use the whey...although the chickens would probably like it.

You use the whey from making mozzarella to make ricotta. Ricotta was invented as a way to use the whey left over from moz.

Sounds wonderful :)

That sounds like a great idea! I'm pretty sure you can purchase whey without making your own cheese.

Back
Top Bottom