How Much Yeast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Andy M.

Certified Pretend Chef
I make my own bagels regularly. I want to increase the recipe by 50%. The original recipe calls for 4.5 cups of flour (AP and bread) and I use one packet of active dry yeast.

If I increase the flour (and other ingredients) to 1 1/2 times as much - 6.75 cups of flour - I don't think one packet of yeast will be enough. should I use an additional half packet or should I use two whole packets?

Katie's advice is good as you will be able to use the same timings. You could stick to one packet of yeast but it will take longer for the bagel mix to rise. Yeast is a living organism and multiplies in the dough, so it will grow to use the available space - it will just take longer. Using two packets will make it rise faster but you do risk a more yeasty taste to your dough.

Last edited:
Katie, I didn't need help with the math. I am asking if the original one packet would be enough for the larger quantity of flour. Also, would two full packets cause a problem?

miniman, I answered Katie before I read your post. Thanks.

Andy, next time you are in the big grocery store or a natural foods store, buy a pound bag of yeast. It keeps forever in the freezer (at least a year) and a bag will cost you about the same as a couple strips of packets.

I find that exact measurements of yeast are not too important, and if I was using packets for your recipe, I would use one. Maybe mix it with water and a bit of flour and sugar and let it grow for an hour on the counter before you mix up your dough, just to increase it a bit.

When I make bagels at work, a little extra yeast doesn't hurt as much as not enough. Of course this is in 12 - 25 - and 50 lb batches of dough....
I think I would start with the 1 1/2 times, see how it rises and go from there. No point using extra if it's not needed.
I'm a little late on this one... I was at work making bagels!!! :)

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions.

I took the safe route and used 1 1/2 packets of yeast for 6 3/4 cups of flour. The real issue with making this larger batch is that my KA mixer labors when kneading this much dough.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom