ISO Gluten and yeast free bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
A friend of mine emailed asking if I had a recipe for a gluten AND yeast free bread. She is not looking for a flat bread, but rather a recipe for a yeast bread substitute. The gluten-free part I could handle, just not the yeast free to achieve the results similar to a yeast bread. The other requirement was EASY. She has a Ph.D. (in chemistry of all things) but doesn't want to spend hours in the kitchen--so a bread machine recipe would be great. Anyone?

With no yeast it will be really dense or flat unless she uses baking powder or some other chemical leavening agent.

If you have a recipe for gluten free banana bread or similar, I think that could be tweaked to work.

Hi Steve--my thoughts exactly--give up bread. But she has a 6-yr. old son, so probably wants to make sandwiches for his lunch (and hers). I hadn't thought of soda bread. I made some gluten-free, yeast-free pitas awhile back--they were awful (well, that was the opinion of the humans). The chickens ate them (but they will eat anything). Soda bread might be an option and there are things she could do re: adding herbs, etc. I suggested corn tortillas and use them as wraps. She is also lactose intolerant. I think I'd probably want to crawl into a hole and hide if I had to eliminate gluten-yeast-and lactose from my diet.

To be honest its just hard work making your own, plus it really doesnt keep very well. Gluten free home made bread needs to be eaten straight away after that you could use it as a baseball bat maybe.

That soda bread looked like it had the texture of a scone.

Since it used fat free milk, I bet you could sub rice or soy milk.

I sent her the link to the soda bread and suggested that she sub soy or hemp milk. My mom is lactose intolerant but can handle buttermilk, that was another suggestion I made to my friend. Poor thing! Gluten+yeast+lactose makes it tough to find "bread-like" recipes.

Back
Top Bottom