ISO good solid directions for making bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeni78

Senior Cook
Hi all

I'm going to try to make bread this week - but I've never been successful in the past. I always kill the yeast somehow. Can anyone provide me with a link to really good bread making directions and does anyone have any tips?

I've decided I MUST learn to do this. Challenge 08. :LOL:

So far, the deer have been enjoying what I chuck off the deck for them.

what kind of yeast? are you proofing it in water first?
dont make the water too hot. 100 degrees is cooler than you would think... use a thermometer if you are not sure.
I dont have a link just a long list of screw-ups.
good luck!

Hi Jeni78,

Here's a pretty good recipe that I use for both loaf bread as well as sanwich rolls and hot dog buns. Yep, same dough, just shape it differently. Here ya go...

Basic White Bread Recipe
For KitchenAid Stand Mixer

Ingredients:

1/2C (4 oz.) milk
3 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3 tablespoons butter or margarine
2 (1/4 ounce) packages active dry yeast or 2 teaspoons Instant Yeast (.34 oz.)
1-1/2 C (12 oz.) warm water (105F to 110F)
5-6 C (1# 13 oz.) Unbleached bread flour

Directions:

1. Combine milk, sugar, salt, and butter in small saucepan. Heat over low heat and stir until butter melts and sugar dissolves. Cool to lukewarm (less than 110 F.
2. If using active dry yeast, dissolve yeast in warm water in warmed bowl and let stand for 10 minutes. If using Instant Yeast, just add it to the flour and mix it in before adding liquids.
3. Add lukewarm milk mixture and water to 4 1/2 C (1# 6 oz.) flour. Attach bowl and dough hook. Turn to speed 2 and mix 1 minute. Continuing on speed 2, add remaining flour, 1/2 C (2.5 oz.) at a time (slowly so it doesn’t fly out of bowl), until dough clings to hook and cleans side of bowl. Knead on speed 2 for 2 minutes longer, or until dough is smooth and elastic. Dough will be slightly sticky to the touch. (At this point I take the dough and knead it for 5-7 minutes, adding flour as needed, until I get the “feel” I want from the dough.)
4. Place in a greased bowl, turning to grease top. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about an hour.
5. Punch dough down and divide in half. Shape each half into a loaf and place in a greased 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 x 2 1/2-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm place, free from draft, until doubled in bulk, about 1 hour.
6. Bake at 400 degrees F for 30 minutes. Remove from pans immediately and cool on wire racks.

For Hamburger and hot dog buns, divide the dough into 2-1/2 oz portions and shape into a ball. Allow dough balls to rest for 5 minutes, then flatten with the heel of your hand and place on cookie sheet dusted with cornmeal. Allow about 1” between rolls for expansion/proofing. For hot dog buns, shape into about 5-6” long tubes with seam down. Brush with wisked egg white/water mix and sprinkle with sesame or poppy seeds. Bake at 400° F for 12-14 minutes or until 200° F.

Here's what the loaf bread looks like...

img_726536_0_b61133d5fc3d29a1ce0ffc208ec3cbec.jpg

...and here are the sandwich/hamburger buns...

img_726536_1_9cf150a7569b4454b8654aa3c7b38b02.jpg

Have fun, and just take your time and follow the directions. You'll be surprised at just how easy it is to make bread. Don't be afraid to ask questions, because there are a lot of bread bakers who can give you good direction. We're all interested in your success. Also, if you buy Instant Yeast, you don't have to go through the process of blooming the yeast in water. The Instant Yeast just gets mixed in with your dry ingredients. Lastly, be sure your water and milk are below 110 degrees F. An inexpensive ($6.95 at Bed Bath & Beyond, Target or Wal-Mart) thermometer that goes up to 200 F, will help you monitor the liquid, and you can also check to see if your bread is done with the same thermometer. If the bread is 195-200 F, it's done.

JoeV

Thanks so much!

It seems I need to buy bread flour? I didn't know there was a difference. LOL, maybe that has been my problem?

No problem. You can do this by hand or in a stand mixer. Here's the drill;

In a large bowl combine the milk mixture and warm water. Begin to stir in flour using a heavy wooden spoon, mixing until you cannot stir it any longer. Pour out the dough onto your work surface and begin kneading in the balance of the flour until it's all combined and the dough is smooth (not sticky) and elastic. You'll knead the dough for about 8-10 minutes. The dough is elastic when you shape into a ball and take two fingers and press into the dough about 3/4" deep. The finger marks should spring back when the dough is fully kneaded. Then follow the balance of the recipe.

Here's a good video link to see how to knead the flour into the dough.

Hand Kneed Bread Dough: How to Make Homemade Bread | eHow.com

JoeV

Pour out the dough onto your work surface and begin kneading in the balance of the flour until it's all combined. . .

Jeni78, you may not need all the flour that any bread recipe calls for. When I teach breadmaking, I tell my students to stop short approximately 1/2 cup of the lowest amount of flour called for. For example, if the recipe calls for 4 to 5 cups of flour, stop at the 3-1/2 cups and see how your dough feels. If it is still loose, very sticky, gradually add more flour in small amounts, like a tablespoon at a time, kneading that amount in well and before adding more. Continue to add the flour in the small amounts until the dough is smooth and soft. Once you reach that point, you can then knead for 6-8 minutes. Be careful when flouring your countertop or table, where ever it is you are kneading, as even that flour can be too much flour incorporated into you dough. As an alternative, you can lightly grease your dough, your hands, and the countertop with some veggie oil and continue to knead it that way, thus avoiding adding too much flour.

Also, you do not always have to use bread flour. Using "all purpose" flour is fine. If a recipe does not state bread flour, it is all purpose flour it is referring to. If you wish to use bread flour, keep in mind that you will need less bread flour than all purpose flour. DO avoid using any "self-rising" flours, however, as that type of flour contains leavening agents such as baking powder and/or baking soda, and you do not need those added to your bread!

Also, as already mentioned several times in this thread, invest in a thermometer, an instant read type, if you can. It will not only help you with your yeast, so you do not kill it with too hot liquid, it will aid you by not activting it with not hot enough. More and more bread recipes are also stating internal temperatures of your baked loaf and the instant read thermometer will be very helpful at this point.

Just relax and have fun and you'll be turning out great loaves in no time!

JoeV, great looking loaves!!

I did it! I made bread! First time ever after several do-overs.

I used deelady's mother's recipe because I didn't have bread flour. I subbed butter for shortening.

It was a lot of fun! Thank you everyone for your help, the online video tutorial was really super helpful.

NOW I want to find other bread recipes...honey wheat is one I'd like to try.

Many many recipes out there require a bread machine or bread flour. Of which I have neither.

Thanks again everyone!
Jeni :chef:

Here's the receipe I used:

Vicky's Perfect White bread

1 pkg active dry yeast
1/4 cup warm water
2 c milk, scalded
2 T sugar
2 tsp salt
1 T shortening
5 3/4 to 6 1/4 cups sifted all purpose flour

Soften active dry yeast in warm water (110 degrees)
Combine hot milk, sugar, salt, and shortening. Cool to luke warm.
Stir in two cups of flour, beat well. Add the softened yeast; mix.
Add enough of the remaining flour to make a moderately stiff dough.
Turn out on lightly floured surface;knead till smooth and satiny (8-10 min)
Shape into a ball; place in lightly greased bowl, turning once to grease surface.Cover, let rise in warm place till doubled (about 1 1/4 hrs).
Punch down.

Cut dough into two portions. Shape each into smooth ball, cover and let rest 10 min. Shape into loaves, place in two greased 9x5x3 inch loaf pans.
cover and let rise till doubled (45-60 mins)
Preheat oven to 400.
Bake in hot oven 400 for 35 mins or until done. If tops brown too fast cover loosely with foil last 15 mins.
Makes 2 loaves.

Takes total time of about 4- 4 1/2 hrs to make start to finish.

Many many recipes out there require a bread machine or bread flour. Of which I have neither.

First, Congratiulations!!!!!!!:chef: See, it wasn't all that hard.

Bread machines modify existing bread recipes to accommodate the machines. I believe they all require Instant Yeast, and it's also sold as Bread Machine Yeast in small glass jars for about $5-$7 per jar...VERY EXPENSIVE! You can buy Instant yeast at Sam's Club, BJ's, Costco or a local restaurant supplier in one pound vacuum pack for under $3 per pound. A pound will make about 90-100 loaves of bread, and it can be kept in the fridge or freezer.

I did not like my bread machine because I couldn't shape my bread. I was stuck with a loaf shaped like the bread machine pan. After a short time I just used the machine to mix the dough, then transfered the dough to my own bread pans or shaped the dough into rolls and baked them on sheet pans. That also ended shortly when I could only make enough dough for one loaf of bread, and it took forever to do so. If all you want is one loaf of bread at a time, the machines are fine for that. They are also nice for people who load the machine in the morning before going to work, and come home to a fresh loaf of bread for dinner

You can make bread dough faster by hand than with a bread machine if you want to make more than one loaf at a time, and most bread recipes are designed for two loaves. It's also more rewarding doing it by hand. If you have a stand mixer with a dough hook, that's a real easy way to make the dough also.

Keep plugging away. The hard part is now behind you.

Joe

JoeV, your loaves look fantastic. You must bake a lot and share. That is what I wind up doing.

Yes, I make a lot of bread that I take to a lot of my senior citizen customers. Many are widowed and lack the desire to bake any longer because they don't have anyone to share it with. It's really pretty sad. I took a half loaf of no-knead wheat bread to one of my widows today when I went there to do a small plumbing job. She was thrilled to have fresh bread, and immediately toasted a slice. The look on her face as she enjoyed that toast was priceless.

I had the afternoon off today so I baked Challah bread again and made Pasta E Fagioli for dinner. The sesame seeded loaf will go to another senior customer tomorrow whe I do a job for them. I'm getting better at this recipe, and I will be increasing the volume so I can get larger loaves. Most of my recipes have 5-6 cups (1#13 oz) of flour, so I'll just bump the ingredients to match that weight and convert the entire recipe to weight for repeatability.

img_727867_0_c7a524e8eadd039191f60a3dc8361f5d.jpg

JoeV

Joe I thought I begged you earlier to STOP THAT!!!!
:) :) :)
Gonna have to take pics of my bagels some morning......

Thank you Susan! That's what I need is a good book.

Joe - how do you make your loaves all lumpy/woven/interesting looking?

Thank you Susan! That's what I need is a good book.

Joe - how do you make your loaves all lumpy/woven/interesting looking?

Weaving braided loaves is really easy once you see it done. Here are two excellent online videos that show you how. BTW, you can braid any yeast bread, not just the Challah bread. I frequently braid my Italian bread loaves.

Baking a Four-Strand Challah Bread Loaf | Expert Village Videos

Braid a Six-Strand Challah Bread Loaf | Expert Village Videos

JoeV

Thank you!

Another question...in your search for that perfect loaf of bread, is there a way to pair down recipes so I don't always get 2 loaves? I'm really digging the bread making but don't have the people to eat the product.

Can I just cut everything down like a regular recipe?

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom