ISO help making baguette bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roby

Assistant Cook
Looking to make a baguette bread of some sort but I don't have a loaf pan for it.
How else can I get it to keep that shape?

Since you don't have a baguette loaf pan consider trying this.

If you have a roasting pan in your oven, take the vented top off it. Then take a roll of cheap foil and begin making small balls of foil (about the size of tennis balls or slightly smaller. Then line the balls up on one end of a piece of foil and roll them up a few turns to make a tube. (this should extend the length of the roasting pan) You may have to make two of these.

Place these in the pan so it will make 3 narrow valleys
or you could use one foil roll to have 2 larger valleys as for a French loaf.

Now lay parchment paper over the pan and push it down into the valley's

Roll your baguette loaves slightly shorter than the length of the roasting pan and place one in each valley.

With a sharp wet knife you can slash diagonal scores in the tops of each loaf.

This will do until you find a baguette tray with perforated surfaces, which allow the steam to go out. Parchment paper will do in a pinch. You'll come up with something like this photo below.

DSC_0131.JPG

Last edited:
I was going thru some things that were in storage and found this modified foil
baking pan I had made some time ago and forgotten all about. It could work
as a bruschetta pan I'm sure...so long as a short loaf is OK with you.

It was for a Dollar Tree project used on an RV board where we were inventing low bucks things from Dollar Tree that could be modified to use in a pinch.
I also built a meat smoker which clipped to a campfire adjustable grill. (yep using dollar tree clips too)

Dollar Tree sells a wide variety of foil pans and some are two or four for a buck.

This is made with two 13 x 9 x 1 1/2 inch baking pans. (1 dollar) If you make this you will need a pair of old scissors and a stapler. (some tooth picks stuck into an apple....used to perforate the parchment paper placed on a couple folded up towels. Cut the apple in half down the center and stick picks into the flat side two rows of five picks) Perforations will allow steam to leave the bread on the bottom as it bakes) Just make sure to place the smooth side of the paper facing you for the dough to rest on.

One pan will be measured inward from the edge about 3 3/4 inches from the long side and with a marking pen and straight edge draw a line from end to end to cut with the old scissors. This will make the center island in the pan for two bruschetta loaves. On the inside of the cut piece measure in from the cut 1 1/4 and draw a line along side the cut. (this is the green line in the photo)

bruchetta_pan_1.jpg

To fabricate the center island just cut fold and staple.
The red line is the one you will cut. The short yellow line will be cut also to form the short tab that will be folded and stapled to the side panel you will fold. The side panel is formed by folding on the green line. OK. So you will now have a long narrow pan to use for the center island. It will be about
13 x 2 1/2 x 1 1/4 when finished.

bruchetta_pan_2.jpg

You may have to fold some on this foil center island in order to fit it into the pan like so.

bruchetta_pan_3.jpg

You will only have to lay your perforated parchment paper over the pan and press it down to make it ready for the buschetta dough. This can be placed on a regular baking sheet which will be much more rigid so you can place it into the hot oven.

Thus you could have a one dollar bruschetta pan in which you could bake a couple loaves.

I’m not sure a loaf pan is even needed for baguettes. Other than perforating the bottom to help with air flow I don’t see a need for an actual pan. The dough holds shape on its own. It not a liquid like say a pound cake pour. Correct me if I am wrong but imo a pan is optional in the case of baguettes. It’s a nice to have for the perforation/air flow part but other then that I don’t see too much of a requirement for one. And a short one would defo change the characteristics of baguettes including imo cooking times compared to traditional recipes you will find on internet.

I’m not sure a loaf pan is even needed for baguettes. Other than perforating the bottom to help with air flow I don’t see a need for an actual pan. The dough holds shape on its own. It not a liquid like say a pound cake pour. Correct me if I am wrong but imo a pan is optional in the case of baguettes. It’s a nice to have for the perforation/air flow part but other then that I don’t see too much of a requirement for one. And a short one would defo change the characteristics of baguettes including imo cooking times compared to traditional recipes you will find on internet.
I agree - the video from Chef John you posted above shows how to do it. I bought this to get the perforation. $15 on Amazon and it works great.
61bXAMurCEL._AC_SL1200_.jpg

You may be right. IDK.

Then no one has ever accused me of being a master baker.

I'm just having some fun with this. My bread machine is whirling up some
bruschetta dough as I write this. So I'll follow thru and see, rather than
speculate.

At this point the dough is busy doubling and the oven is warming now.

I purchased a bruschetta last week and made a sandwich with it. I'd have
done as well to have bought some beef jerky and ate it cause that sandwich was some tough stuff. Now I know why they call them "Grinders".

You may be right. IDK.

Then no one has ever accused me of being a master baker.

I'm just having some fun with this. My bread machine is whirling up some bruschetta dough as I write this. So I'll follow thru and see, rather than speculate.

At this point the dough is busy doubling and the oven is warming now.

I purchased a bruschetta last week and made a sandwich with it. I'd have done as well to have bought some beef jerky and ate it cause that sandwich was some tough stuff. Now I know why they call them "Grinders".
I prefer French bread for sandwiches - it's not as crusty and chewy as a baguette. I use baguettes to make bruschetta.

Yes, definately GG :blush:

If I buy or make another, I'll just use it for dipping in my French Onion Soup.
Any leftovers can be the dog's chew toy.

Well, timer just went off on the dough cycle.

Yes, definately GG :blush:

If I buy or make another, I'll just use it for dipping in my French Onion Soup.
Any leftovers can be the dog's chew toy.

Well, timer just went off on the dough cycle.

I’m sure u can use a pan. Just like I said it’s sounds optional to make them with one that also means you could if you so chose to. Just from my readings it sounds more functional for air flow underneath than shaping so whatever your design see if you can make it to have air flow underneath if possible.

Oh and btw if we r talking about nuances of baking French baguette I would argue that the most important part that differentiates different loaves is the yeast. Especially if you have a sourdough starter :)
I know it takes a little more work but I went to a French bread store by me last week because I was looking into French baguettes also and I must say the sourdough really makes a difference at least in taste. I also found I like the poppy/sesame seed ones the best. Oh so good. :)
Steam baking and water spraying or even egg wash is also important for crust imo.

Well, here's how it turned out.

I sprayed the crust with water as it baked. Used regular yeast. Bread Flour. Baked at 425 F for 20 minutes. Perforated the parchment with the apple & toothpicks.

bruchetta_pan_4.jpg

Dough rolled out and placed on parchment in pan. Ready to bake.

bruchetta_pan_5.jpg

After baking. didn't use cornmeal and bottom came out soft and released
easily from the parchment.

bruchetta_pan_6.jpg

After cooling 30 minutes I sliced it and applied some garlic butter. Had
Spaghetti tonight with a salad. Very crispy crust and the crumb was soft enough to be enjoyable.

bruchetta_pan_7.jpg

Well, here's how it turned out.

I sprayed the crust with water as it baked. Used regular yeast. Bread Flour. Baked at 425 F for 20 minutes. Perforated the parchment with the apple & toothpicks.

bruchetta_pan_4.jpg

Dough rolled out and placed on parchment in pan. Ready to bake.

bruchetta_pan_5.jpg

After baking. didn't use cornmeal and bottom came out soft and released

easily from the parchment.

bruchetta_pan_6.jpg

After cooling 30 minutes I sliced it and applied some garlic butter. Had

Spaghetti tonight with a salad. Very crispy crust and the crumb was soft enough to be enjoyable.

bruchetta_pan_7.jpg

How was the inside texture. Looks a bit doughy like a bagel consistency. Would u compare it to a baguette per se or still have some work to do.

Scoring decently is a big piece also otherwise gases can’t release as the dough rises...

Congrats on making the bread! Always love the smell as it comes out of the oven!

I did Kaiser rolls recently and loved it. I’m hesitant on the baguette but will get to it soon. :)

CC17-B18-A-36-D5-4-ECE-A0-BC-D0-B35-EBE7151.jpg

Last edited:
I bought a perforation from Amazon also.
The info on this has been a lot of help I hope others have found it as interesting as I have.
Thank you

@GimmeAnother1

The center was different than what I purchased at the store. More like bread that I'm used to. (I used 1 1/2 tsp of yeast) I'll have to find a source bakery when I'm out of town again to have a good base for comparison. But what I made was fine for tonight's diner and the demo of the foil pan & parchment method.

I'm sure the sourdough yeast and an additive to improve gluten content would produce a more coarse crumb similar to what I had in that baguette I ate recently.

I can make sourdough starter using loose leaf Hops or, cornmeal & brewers yeast, or potatoes & loose leaf Hops, or Butter Milk & brewers yeast. Even Peach Leaves, Hops, and brewers yeast. I've tried them all long ago but I just don't bake that much now days. (the info for doing this is out there on the net)

@ Roby

What I made was a basic dough in the bread machine's dough cycle. I allowed it to rise again in a warm oven before rolling it out to bake in the foil
pan. It was just bread flour, dry regular yeast, olive oil, water, sugar, salt.

I figure that what I don't eat I'll give to the birds. I got some wood peckers who would really enjoy the crust.

Last edited:
I agree - the video from Chef John you posted above shows how to do it. I bought this to get the perforation. $15 on Amazon and it works great.
View attachment 39487

Omigosh! I've had this same or similar pan for over 20 years and it has produced tons of loaves of bread. Love it and it has achieved a wonderful patina to it because of use.

As a matter of fact, about 5 years ago, I helped a friend who is a college professor raise money for his students to make a trip to England. The trip was just before Thanksgiving/Christmas and he thought, instead of a bake sale, the students could sell items that would be appropriate for those holiday meals.

In the end, I wound up baking about 200 baguettes. This went on for weeks and, some days, I made a dozen or more loaves. I had two bread machines working at a time (using the DOUGH cycle) and had packaged loaves stacked on our dining room table like cord wood.

It was wonderful and the students had a blast! I was happy to be able to help.

As a matter of fact, about 5 years ago, I helped a friend who is a college professor raise money for his students to make a trip to England. The trip was just before Thanksgiving/Christmas and he thought, instead of a bake sale, the students could sell items that would be appropriate for those holiday meals.

In the end, I wound up baking about 200 baguettes. This went on for weeks and, some days, I made a dozen or more loaves. I had two bread machines working at a time (using the DOUGH cycle) and had packaged loaves stacked on our dining room table like cord wood.

It was wonderful and the students had a blast! I was happy to be able to help.
I remember that. Such an impressive achievement to make so many loaves for such a good cause.

Back
Top Bottom