ISO TNT Cinnamon Raisin bagel recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CWS4322

Chef Extraordinaire
I haven't made bagels since the last century. I have been researching cinnamon raisin bagel recipes. I like a bagel that has a chewy texture, nice crust, but still tender on the inside. Several of the recipes I am investigating include making a yukone and letting the dough proof in the fridge overnight. Wondering a few things:
(a) any secrets when making a dough with a yukone?
(b) to plump or not to plump the raisins?
(c) preference honey or malt barley in the water?

If anyone has a favorite, TNT cinnamon raisin bagel, point me in the right direction. Favorite pan to "boil" the bagels has always been my Mom's SS wok--also my favorite pan for making spaetzli (because my grater fits perfectly on it). The other thing I use this SS wok for is steaming tamale. Otherwise, I prefer my CI wok for stir-fries.

I am scared away by the number of steps or the time it takes to proof.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Andy has onion bagels recipe here. I say substitute onion for cinnamon, and you got yourself an excellent bagel. They are awesome.

Andy has onion bagels recipe here. I say substitute onion for cinnamon, and you got yourself an excellent bagel. They are awesome.
I am looking for a TNT with a yukone. I appreciate Andy's recipe, but it sounds as if it will be "too bready" for my taste.

I am looking for a TNT with a yukone. I appreciate Andy's recipe, but it sounds as if it will be "too bready" for my taste.

It’s really not too bready. I make them all the time and they satisfied most picky taste. Maybe picky is not the right word. I have a friendfrom NY, he says that these bagels are as good or better any NY bagels he ever had.

What is "yukone"? Searching gets me stuff about the Yukon.
it is a mixture of flour and water heated in a CI skillet until it is the texture of mashed potatoes, spread out on a plate 1" thick and allowed to cool until about room temperature. It is then added to the flour-yeast-etc. mixture. Sort of like a biga, but not quite because there is no yeast in the yukone. The dough then sets in the fridge for 10-12 hours before finishing. I have done bread with poloosh, but never yukone.

Okay, this didn't quite work out the way I planned, BUT I love the texture, the "chew," and flavor. I don't like the size--I weighed the dough, it was 600 g, so I did 50 g. Next time I would do 100 g. I did plump the raisins, I did add honey to the water. I sprayed the inside of the oven with water, I put a bowl in the bottom of the oven. I flipped the bagels after 8 minutes.

Attachments

• P1030692.jpg
    P1030692.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 149
  • P1030691.jpg
    P1030691.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 116

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom