Mae's Overnight Buns

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Somebunny

Executive Chef
TNT Dinner Rolls/Buns

Prep Time: 10-15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Yields: 20 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1pkg yeast
1tsp. salt
1scant C. vegetable oil
1-C. sugar
4-C. warm water
1 egg
12 C. flour

DIRECTIONS:
Start late in the afternoon 4:00ish. Combine yeast, 1tsp. of the sugar and 1C.of the warm water. In large bowl beat egg with rest of sugar and oil, add yeast mixture and remaining water. Mix well. Gradually add flour beat well. Knead for 10 minutes. Let rise for 3 hours, punch down, let rise 1-1/2 hours. Shape into buns, and place on baking pans. Let rise in cool place overnight. Bake at 7:00am @ 375 for 15 minutes If you start these in the morning you can bake for the evening meal.

NOTES:
I got this recipe from my husband's prairie cousin. They were the best roll/bun I had ever eaten, just had to get the recipe. These buns are sweet and airy, so good you almost don't need butter! You wont' be disappointed.:chef:

I made these one year for Thanksgiving and let them rise in the garage overnight and didn't bake them until mid afternoon. They were giant! About the size of hamburger buns. I guess I made them too large to begin with and the extra rising time probably made them larger too. We didn't care though. They were delicious!:pig:

Last edited by a moderator:
TNT Dinner Rolls/Buns

Prep Time: 10-15 min
Cook Time: 15 min
Yields: 20 servings

INGREDIENTS:
1pkg yeast
1tsp. salt
1scant C. vegetable oil
1-C. sugar
4-C. warm water
1 egg
12 C. flour

DIRECTIONS:
Start late in the afternoon 4:00ish. Combine yeast, 1tsp. of the sugar and 1C.of the warm water. In large bowl beat egg, add yeast mixture and remaining water. Mix well. Gradually add flour beat well. Knead for 10 minutes. Let rise for 3 hours, punch down, let rise 1-1/2 hours. Shape into buns, and place on baking pans. Let rise in cool place overnight. Bake at 7:00am @ 375 for 15 minutes If you start these in the morning you can bake for the evening meal.

NOTES:
I got this recipe from my husband's prairie cousin. They were the best roll/bun I had ever eaten, just had to get the recipe. These buns are sweet and airy, so good you almost don't need butter! You wont' be disappointed.:chef:

I made these one year for Thanksgiving and let them rise in the garage overnight and didn't bake them until mid afternoon. They were giant! About the size of hamburger buns. I guess I made them too large to begin with and the extra rising time probably made them larger too. We didn't care though. They were delicious!:pig:

Sounds good. I will half the recipe I think. And I might have to cut down on the sugar a bit. When I get around to making them I will post back. Thanks!!

I'm going to throttle back the amounts and make these, too.
Thanks for the recipe!

Mae's rolls

How many rolls does this recipe make? It serves 20, is that the number of rolls? With 12 cups flour? I need several dozen rolls for Thanksgiving and would like to try these.
Cynthia

Cynthiaf said:
How many rolls does this recipe make? It serves 20, is that the number of rolls? With 12 cups flour? I need several dozen rolls for Thanksgiving and would like to try these.
Cynthia

Cynthia, These are large dinner rolls, 20 is correct I imagine you could get 2 doz and they would still be good size .

Have you ever made these using wholewheat flour?
Sorry, I just saw your post! No O have never used whole wheat, I would imagine they would not rise quite as much much. they are famous for coming out the size of hamburger buns. lol. I might try a combo of whole wheat and reg. AP.

Back
Top Bottom