Making "lighter/fluffier" bread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JPinFla

Assistant Cook
Hello All,
I'm new here!! I've been making bread for a little over a year now. Doing okay but would like to make higher rising, lighter/fluffy type bread.

My basic reciepe is:
2 cups of warm water
5-6 cups of basic cheap flour
1 packet of instant yeast
1 egg
1 tbl of sugar
1 tbl of salt

I use a stand mixer and mix/kneed for about 6 minutes (making sure the dough is pulling from the sides of the bowl.

I cover and let rise (sometimes I set the over to warm) until it doubles.

I then throw it back in the stand mixer for about 2 minutes to knock it down.

I then form into loafs (most of the time I'll cut slice diagnol or long ways)and let rise for about 20/30 minutes (not quite double).

Prior to putting in the oven, I'l brush with water and add seasoning and/or sesame seeds.

I bake at 375 with a convection oven (which knocks down the temp to 350) for about 35 minutes.

My loafs are coming out good but what I'd like to get is a lighter and fluffier loaf.

What I get are tight loafs which are pretty much good the day I bake them.

I'm thinking that if they were lighter, I could get at least another day out of them or even use them (if they would rise more) as sandwhich bread.

Any thought would be greatly appreciated.

JP
Should I use more yeast? Should I let the second rise go longer?

I would use strong bread flour(high gluten), leave out the egg and check out either the Biga or Poolish methods on the tinternet.
Bread making is a science and it took me a long time to perfect it, 40yrs later I still make a "brick" now and again when using wholemeal flour.
Ps there are some very good bakers here:)

Mucho gracias Bolas De Fraile. I have recently added the egg. Seemed to make the crust harder which is what I was looking for. What are your thought on putting the dough back in the mixer after the first rise? Should I just manually punch it down and not rely too much on technology? Also, any thought on adding the salt after ther first rise?

Also, talking about bricks, I have bricks.......just when I think I know what I'm doing, daaa-daaa a brick.

Paul Hollywood is probably one of the best instructors we have over here for bread baking on top of that he is a good looking scouser like me:)
I would suggest that you go to his baking section then clic all recipes and start with the white bread recipe.
BBC - Food - Chefs : Paul Hollywood recipes

A good tip is to check your ovens temp with a thermometer.

If you want a harder crust throw a couple of ice cubes in the oven to create some steam.

I agree with Bolas, leave out the egg on this recipe.

Less flour and a longer second rise may make it a little lighter. The amount of flour is hard to judge, it varies each time you make bread. This can be frustrting.

I recommend punching down by hand after the first rise - the mixer can readily deflate the dough.

are you baking the loaves on a stone? that helps with the initial oven spring.

I find that after the first rise it is time to be gentle, a stand mixer is a great tool just not at that point.

Back
Top Bottom