Monkey bread dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abbsochs

Assistant Cook
Hi all, I am so not good with helping bread rise! I am impatient...I found a recipe for making monkey bread aka cinnamon/sugar pull apart bread.....and I went wrong some where....it is not rising...does it need to cook in the oven should I leave it out over night....I am so disapointed...and bummed this did not work...I just had it at a meeting and would love to make it for my children....I have more dry yeast should I try again or what do you think? any pointers? please help!

I use canned biscuits to make mine. Open the can and cut the biscuits into quarters, dip in butter and cinnamon/sugar and place in the pan. Bake it by the directions on the can. No problems. I never make it with bread dough that has to rise. I suppose you could make homemade biscuits which also don't have to rise before baking. You should post the recipe you are using so we can help you more. I'm not a bread baker. Never had much luck with it coming out well so I may not be the best one to advise you.

I am not even sure where I found the recipe....i googled it and and I can;t see to find it again. I might have to use the biscuits....Thank you...

Ah the mythical monkey bread.

My wife has a bundt cake pan that she has never used, 7 years now,"this is her monkey bread pan, dont touch it" I have looked the recipe up on the internet and just was'nt compelled to try it.By all means try it again.If this was your first attempt at makeing bread you sound like your doing great.If its not, its a new recipe to you and there are bound to be things that go wrong.Just do'nt kill the yeast with high temps and be patient.It will rise.Make sure your yeast is fresh!! Let us know how it goes.

definitely don't give up!

monkey bread is new to me, but i've made plenty of other types of bread and biscuits.

after doing a google search, it seems that there are 2 types: yeast dough & biscuit dough.

most of the recipes on the net seem to use the biscuit doughs from your grocery store's refrigerated section.

yeast dough seems to be the "classic".

here are some hints to help you get your yeast dough to rise.

-your water or milk should be warm, but not hot. if you can't keep your fingers in it, it's too hot. think baby bottle temp. too hot a liquid at any point will kill the yeast.

-let the dough rise in a warm place. somewhere around a hot, summer day would be about optimal. a lot of kitchens at this time of year can be pretty chilly. cool or cold temps won't kill the yeast, but it will take much longer to rise. 2 or 3 times what the cook book says wouldn't be unusual. if your kitchen is cold, you can get creative. for example, put a kettle or covered pan of just-boiled water in the oven with the dough (but not too close).

- if you follow a recipe, i don't think you'll have any other problems. however, you can also keep in mind that too much salt (not a likely cause) as well as a high sugar content will also retard the yeast. a combination of high sugar content and cold rising environment can cause a dough to take just about forever to rise.

here are some links i came across:

this has both a biscuit recipe & a bread recipe. just be careful about the milk temp. the way it's described (scald and let cool slightly) would be too hot for the yeast.
Monkey Bread Recipe

Grands!® Monkey Bread Video from Pillsbury.com

Monkey bread - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

plenty of recipes here (some a bit "iffy" looking though):
Cooks.com - Recipes - Monkey Bread

good luck. i hope this helps. ;)

Hi all, I am so not good with helping bread rise! I am impatient...I found a recipe for making monkey bread aka cinnamon/sugar pull apart bread.....and I went wrong some where....it is not rising...does it need to cook in the oven should I leave it out over night....I am so disapointed...and bummed this did not work...I just had it at a meeting and would love to make it for my children....I have more dry yeast should I try again or what do you think? any pointers? please help!

Ok, what's with people and monkeys ? ;)

When I make it, keeping the kitchen warm draft free helps the rise.
Preheat your oven to the recommended temp.
Prep your pan with cooking spray.

Warm up the milk,butter and water in a sauce pan. Not hot just warm.
Once it's kneaded in the mixer. I remove it. Shape it into a large circle.
Cut it in half. Weigh each one. Making sure each loaf weighs the same.
Cut, weigh and shape 2" balls.

We prefer a sticky bun type of glaze.Corn syrup, cinnamon mixed,and just a little bit of butter. Mixed together in a small bowl. Chopped walnuts placed at the bottom of the pan before the dough is added, is awesome.

Dip the dough balls into the glaze. Place them into a bread loaf pan. In no particular order. Let it rise for 30 min, or so. Then bake. It can be refrigerated over night ( in the pan) Remove it about an hour before use. It will still rise.

Good luck!

Munky.

I have made this with bread dough that I made myself as well as frozen bread dough, very good if you want to skip the hassle of making your own. With the bread dough, my recipe had said to cut up the bread or roll dough while still partly frozen then roll it in the butter/sugar mixture, place in layers in the pan then leave out overnight, then bake in the morning. There are recipes that say to refrigerate, then bake. I do have luck getting dough to rise if my kitchen is cool by placing it in my microwave with a jar of water that I have brought to a boil then turn m/w off. The warmth from the jar of water will help the bread to rise, i leave about an hour.Many recipes for this bread on the net, I love making it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom