My first try at a no-knead dutch oven bread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RPCookin

Executive Chef
Been intending to do this for some time, but I have trouble planning far enough ahead for it.

We don't have bread very often, so when I plan a meal that does call for it, I'm usually planning on the day I'm going to need it. That is too late for this bread, since it takes a couple of days to make, although the actual active participation is only about 15 minutes.

i-3WcQmZ5-M.jpg

Looks great! Now that you know how easy the basic method is, try this variation: You can mix up enough dough for four or more loaves and keep it in the fridge for up to two weeks. The flavor gets more sour as time goes on. When you want a loaf, pull off about a pound, shape it into a ball and let it warm up on the counter for an hour or so. Then shape it for baking, let it proof while you preheat the oven and bake it.

I also used this dough to make crusty bread rolls when our former German exchange student and her husband visited us last year. They said it was almost like German brötchen.

https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2013...tes-a-day-is-launched-back-to-basics-updated/

All it takes is flour, water, yeast and salt. If you have those, go ahead and mix them up! Bake it tomorrow and report back! [emoji2]

Thank you for the encouragement, but not today. It's one of those days where lots of things are just going wrong, not a big deal, but I'm not looking for trouble. ;)

Your bread looks great! It's usually the two of us, so I make two half size loaves in 3 qt. CI Dutch ovens. I make the dough and put it in the fridge for up to 10 days or so before baking. Baked loaves freeze wonderfully, and after thawing I just put them in a 300 F oven for 5 minutes or so to firm up the crust.

Last edited:
Looks great! Now that you know how easy the basic method is, try this variation: You can mix up enough dough for four or more loaves and keep it in the fridge for up to two weeks. The flavor gets more sour as time goes on. When you want a loaf, pull off about a pound, shape it into a ball and let it warm up on the counter for an hour or so. Then shape it for baking, let it proof while you preheat the oven and bake it.

I also used this dough to make crusty bread rolls when our former German exchange student and her husband visited us last year. They said it was almost like German brötchen.

https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2013...tes-a-day-is-launched-back-to-basics-updated/

I have made a lot of bread over the years and although I have heard of keeping the dough in the fridge for long periods of time - I've never done it.

Goodness - THANKS! GG I need to try this soon.

The bread came out great. No pics, but taste and texture were perfect. Good chewy crust and soft, tasty interior. Will be doing this more.

Careful Rick - you could get hooked, and have to make your own bread from now on! :LOL:

If you have access to some "artisan" bread flour, try some of that in one of those all white breads. It's amazing how good the flavor is! The Alta artisan flour I got is in between bread and AP, in gluten content, and a little darker, when you put them side-by-side, due to the lower extraction, which gives it more flavor. An old friend of mine recently asked me if I had ever made any of those breads that "we used to make", and he gave me some good ideas, though I don't make white breads too often any more. Uh-oh...what did he get me into here! :ohmy:

I have made a lot of bread over the years and although I have heard of keeping the dough in the fridge for long periods of time - I've never done it.

Goodness - THANKS! GG I need to try this soon.
You're welcome [emoji2] It's amazingly easy. Here's a tip: after I mix it up, I put a sticky on the lid with the date I made it and this to indicate how many loaves I've made:

4 / 3 / 2 / 1

Then I cross out each number as I remove dough for a loaf, so I know how many are left. Because you know how good memories are [emoji38]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom