"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches > Yeast Breads, Rolls & Braids
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-21-2019, 03:42 PM   #1
Master Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 5,035
Smile My First Try At Italian Easter Bread

For years now, my husband has asked me to make
"Easter Bread". I've had no clue as to what he's
talking about. No one in his family remembers this,
nor do they have any recipes for it.

I did a WWW search recently and found
Italian Easter Bread what a difference
one word can make

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01092.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	34504

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01089.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	34505

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01093.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	34506

I used this recipe:
Italian Easter Bread - Garlic Girl
with one change, I use half teaspoon each of ground Cinnamon and Cardamom rather than using Anise, neither of us care for licorice.
We're not big fans of Hard Cooked Eggs, so I omitted those.

DH said that I was on the right track, but it wasn't quite right.
A little too much Orange flavor for his liking.
He said that it needs to be very egg-y tasting and less sweet.
In addition, he said that it had the texture is more of cake than bread... hmmm, too much flour?

Trying to get him to describe foods is really difficult.
But I thought that he did well this time, maybe because
he REALLY wants the bread of his memory.

__________________

__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 04:51 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,973
I'd eat it!
__________________

__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 05:55 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,431
We used to buy those in the bakery. They called them Easter egg baskets. You didn't put the egg in. The owners of the bakery we got them were distant relatives. Mom and I went in once when they were making the baskets. They dyed the raw eggs then placed them in the bread before baking. Since then the bakery has changed hands.

Can't find the baskets around here any more.

Where's the recipe? This is all I see

Click image for larger version

Name:	easter bread.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	34509
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 07:04 PM   #4
Master Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 5,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
We used to buy those in the bakery. They called them Easter egg baskets. You didn't put the egg in. The owners of the bakery we got them were distant relatives. Mom and I went in once when they were making the baskets. They dyed the raw eggs then placed them in the bread before baking. Since then the bakery has changed hands.

Can't find the baskets around here any more.

Where's the recipe? This is all I see

Attachment 34509

Oops, sorry MsM, here ya are

The Best Homemade Italian Sweet Bread with Colored Easter Eggs
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 08:37 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Thank you kgirl.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 11:42 AM   #6
Master Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 5,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Thank you kgirl.
MsM, if you do make this bread,
please let me know if this is how it's
suppose to taste.
I have no point of reference here ...
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:24 PM   #7
Master Chef
 
Sir_Loin_of_Beef's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Sandy Eggo
Posts: 8,798
From arguably the expert on Italian cooking in America: Cooking with Nonna
__________________
I Luv Sandy Eggo!
Sir_Loin_of_Beef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:34 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef
 
Andy M.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Massachusetts
Posts: 46,298
Looks great!
__________________
"If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create the universe." -Carl Sagan
Andy M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 12:50 PM   #9
Master Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 5,035
We had the last of the one loaf of bread this morning
for breakfast and neither of us cared for it.
I had put the two other loaves into the deep freeze,
but I'm thinkin' they just might go into the trash bin instead
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 01:36 PM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
MsM, if you do make this bread,
please let me know if this is how it's
suppose to taste.
I have no point of reference here ...
Ok kgrl.

The ones we got were more of a hard, sweet cookie type bread that crumbled. You could get from one to 6 eggs in the baskets/rings.

Was yours more chewy and bread like?

I may try it in the future. I also found another recipe.

Italian Easter Bread

Slightly different recipe.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2019, 05:11 PM   #11
Master Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 5,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Ok kgrl.

The ones we got were more of a hard, sweet cookie type bread that crumbled. You could get from one to 6 eggs in the baskets/rings.

Was yours more chewy and bread like?

I may try it in the future. I also found another recipe.

Italian Easter Bread

Slightly different recipe.
Yeah, I saw that recipe too and I wasn't really sure which one to go with to be honest.
Mine came out like a dense-sweetish-crumbly cake texture.
DH said that it needs to be like bread, eggy, not sweet, and he didn't remember a licorice flavor
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 10:22 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Yeah, I saw that recipe too and I wasn't really sure which one to go with to be honest.
Mine came out like a dense-sweetish-crumbly cake texture.
DH said that it needs to be like bread, eggy, not sweet, and he didn't remember a licorice flavor
I can't remember if it had anise flavor it's been like ... well a long time since I had one. But it probably did. It reminded me of anisette toast. BUT it was definitely hard, sweet and crumbly in texture and taste. It did have a shiny skin with a thin, white glaze as glue for the multi colored sprinkles. Your hubs may have gotten bread that may have been from a different region recipe.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:10 AM   #13
Master Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 5,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
I can't remember if it had anise flavor it's been like ... well a long time since I had one. But it probably did. It reminded me of anisette toast. BUT it was definitely hard, sweet and crumbly in texture and taste. It did have a shiny skin with a thin, white glaze as glue for the multi colored sprinkles. Your hubs may have gotten bread that may have been from a different region recipe.
I think you may be right MsM.

My Husband's Father was the one who made the Easter Bread,
"just like his Mom did it" is what he says.
My Father-in-law's family was from the Calabrian region of Italy,
and he was first generation American-Italian.
As I may have said, I never got to meet either my FIL nor MIL,
they both had past before DH and I found each other,
later in life.
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 11:12 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
I think you may be right MsM.

My Husband's Father was the one who made the Easter Bread,
"just like his Mom did it" is what he says.
My Father-in-law's family was from the Calabrian region of Italy,
and he was first generation American-Italian.
As I may have said, I never got to meet either my FIL nor MIL,
they both had past before DH and I found each other,
later in life.
My family is from Naples. So that may be the deference.
__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 12:33 PM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
Yeah, I saw that recipe too and I wasn't really sure which one to go with to be honest.
Mine came out like a dense-sweetish-crumbly cake texture.
DH said that it needs to be like bread, eggy, not sweet, and he didn't remember a licorice flavor
This sort of sounds like what you may be looking for. It has two eggs and less flour and sugar than the one you posted. It has no spices at all, so you could do whatever DH likes there.

https://www.christinascucina.com/ind...-easter-bread/
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:00 PM   #16
Master Chef
 
Kaneohegirlinaz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Posts: 5,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This sort of sounds like what you may be looking for. It has two eggs and less flour and sugar than the one you posted. It has no spices at all, so you could do whatever DH likes there.

https://www.christinascucina.com/ind...-easter-bread/

GG, I think you may be right!
The way that DH describes the bread as "fluffy and eggy tasting"
does sound a lot like a brioche type of bread, doesn't it?!
Mahalo, thanks for that !!!
__________________
My Kitchen In The Middle Of The Desert ~ Wait, What? This Isn't Hawaii?
https://mykitcheninthemiddleofthedesert.wordpress.com/
Kaneohegirlinaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2019, 01:10 PM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire
 
msmofet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
This sort of sounds like what you may be looking for. It has two eggs and less flour and sugar than the one you posted. It has no spices at all, so you could do whatever DH likes there.

https://www.christinascucina.com/ind...-easter-bread/
Notice that recipe calls for dyed UNCOOKED eggs like my bakery used.

It seems like the bakery used a hybrid recipe. Like I said I can't remember what flavor the egg basket was.

I do remember the sweet crumbly texture.

I think I will experiment and divide the crumbly recipe and add anise to half.
__________________

__________________
There is freedom within, there is freedom without
Try to catch the deluge in a paper cup
There's a battle ahead, many battles are lost
msmofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
bread, dyed eggs, easter bread, holiday dishes, italian, sweet bread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:12 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×