Need better French bread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you want a loaf of bread with big holes, maybe you could try making ciabatta bread. It's got a crisp crust, big holes. Might work for you. Lots of recipe choices on Google. I have not tried any of them, so can't recommend.

I would consider ciabatta to be a recipe for someone with at least some experience making bread and it's a real workout if you don't have a stand mixer. Contrary to popular belief, it's not an old artisan Italian bread - it was invented in 1982 [emoji16]
https://www.eater.com/2017/2/17/14625136/artisan-bread-history

Yeah, definitely looking for a look more like that. Maybe less grainy looking though. Air pockets are part of the appeal. My bread was too moist.
Better too moist than too dry! But yes, if it's too wet, it doesn't cook properly and it's hard to handle.
I aim for a stickiness that's like a post-it note. Not really sticky, just a little bit.

I've been using this recipe for years. It makes enough dough for four loaves of bread and keeps for up to two weeks in the fridge. The longer it's in the fridge, the more sourdough-like flavor it develops. You can make it into different shapes, like a boule (round), baguette (long and thin), batard (sort of oval) and rolls.

https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2013...tes-a-day-is-launched-back-to-basics-updated/
Thanks for this recipe! It's great having a versatile recipe that you can rely on.
I agree, flavour definitely improves after a long rest in the fridge.

GG, I'm sure you mentioned this site once before and I'd forgotten, thanks for reminding me! I'd love to try this (as always) but I have a question I'm sure you could answer.

Once the dough has collapsed, can you remove all of it and put it in a smaller container. It does say that after the initial rise, then collapse, it does not rise again.

This would be very helpful for me with limited fridge space. Finding space for one night wouldn't be a problem but for a week or so it would be. 6 liter/quarts is a big container for a tiny fridge like mine. I don't mind using my DIL's overnight or so but not for longer.

GG, I'm sure you mentioned this site once before and I'd forgotten, thanks for reminding me! I'd love to try this (as always) but I have a question I'm sure you could answer.

Once the dough has collapsed, can you remove all of it and put it in a smaller container. It does say that after the initial rise, then collapse, it does not rise again.

This would be very helpful for me with limited fridge space. Finding space for one night wouldn't be a problem but for a week or so it would be. 6 liter/quarts is a big container for a tiny fridge like mine. I don't mind using my DIL's overnight or so but not for longer.

I was wondering the same thing.

And we are answered.

Thanks so much GG, much appreciated. I love fresh bread but have not been making it as much as I used to. This sounds like the answer!

I use an old 9x5 loaf pan, put in the oven while preheating, and then throw ice cubes in it to get the steam. I'm not gonna throw ice cubes in the bottom of my oven either.

They do make baguette loaf pans. I think they come in 1, 2 and 3 loaf sizes last time I looked as mine got lost in our last move.

I made the Pane Franchese recipe from ATK not too long ago. It came out with a crisp crust, airy/holey interior. They have a video of it on line with every step they took. The loaf is a bit bigger than a baguette. You need a couche for their recipe/technique though.

One of the more extreme methods of creating steam in the oven is the one they suggest in Thomas Keller's Bouchon Bakery book.

It involves 10 pounds of river rock, heavy metal chain, and a super soaker.

I'm sure it works, but I'm not sure I've heading out to Home Depot to buy a bag of river rock lol. River rock because there's a danger of sedimentary rock splitting or exploding in the oven when heated

One of the more extreme methods of creating steam in the oven is the one they suggest in Thomas Keller's Bouchon Bakery book.

It involves 10 pounds of river rock, heavy metal chain, and a super soaker.

I'm sure it works, but I'm not sure I've heading out to Home Depot to buy a bag of river rock lol. River rock because there's a danger of sedimentary rock splitting or exploding in the oven when heated

I was always told that you had to be careful not to use river rock to build a fireplace, because of the risk of water in the rocks turning to steam and exploding them.

Haven't we beaten this one to death yet? If you don't like American French bread, either choose some othr type of bread, or move to France.

Haven't we beaten this one to death yet? If you don't like American French bread, either choose some othr type of bread, or move to France.

I think you are thinking of another thread - one bemoaning the lack of good baguettes in the US. This thread is asking for help in making French bread.

Back
Top Bottom