Pizza Dough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LAJ

Senior Cook
3/4 cup warm water, 1 pkg yeast, 1 tablespoon sugar, 2 and 1/4 cup bread flour, 1 and 1/2 teaspoon salt, 4 and 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
Allow to rise in refrigerator overnight for best crust. Let pizza come to room temp. before baking. Bake in pre-heated oven at 500* for 10-12 min.

This recipe was used at Dino's Pizzeria in Detroit area and Florida. They were in business for many years. But, no longer.:chef:

Just wondering what part of Michigan you are from. I live near GR. Love a good pizza dough, it's so versatile.

Joesfolk,
I am in small town of Armada. I can practically see Canada from here.

Oh, I grew up not too far from there (though I hate to admit that I grew up in Pontiac) You live in a very pleasant area. How did you come across the recipe for Dino's pizza crust? I assumed that those commercial operations made the dough in huge quantities or bought frozen from a supplier.

Don't be ashamed that you grew up in Pontiac. I have to drive there once in a while for work, on road alot. I grew up on East side of Detroit. (It was a nice neighborhood back then). I am friends with one of the old owners of Dino's. He is retired but gave me some of the recipes. The calzone is to die for. They made all from scratch, sauce too. My sister had two pizza restaurants in Florida in the 80's and used the same recipes, as well. Very, very good. Hard to find good dough and good sauce. Yes, this is a pleasant little town. But, I would rather be back in Florida.

The Dino's stores only bought canned Italian tomatoes from a supplier. Everything was fresh. You can't find that today. Unless you make it yourself. Although, I do get pizza from a bakery on east side called Bommaritos. They have been there since the 40's. Still same family. Pizza is great. They use the best cheeses and homemade dough and sauce.

The pizza dough recipe I make is very similar except I add dried italian spices to the flour and, gasp, substitute beer for the liquid.

Calzone Recipe/Dino's Restaurant(Detroit)

This is a recipe people love. I use the dough recipe I posted. I don't scimp on quality of meat and cheese.

1 recipe pizza dough
1/2 pound grated mozzarella(not low-fat)
1/2 pound ricotta (not low-fat)
1/2 cup grated parmesan
1 egg lightly beaten
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 pound salami/chopped
1/4 pound pepperoni/chopped
1/2 pound Italian sausage/cooked and chopped
1/2 pound ham
chopped
Prepare pizza dough and combine remaining ingredients. Cover and
refrigerate. Pre-heat oven to 400*
Divide dough into 4 equal parts. Spoon 1/4 of filling onto lower half
of dough. Brush edge with water and crimp edges. Place on oiled baking
sheet or pizza screen. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Brush crust with butter.

I am lucky enough to be friends with the original owners who provided me with their Dino's Restaurant recipes. My sister used the recipes in her Italian restaurant with the same results. Great stuff! This is well worth the effort.

Back
Top Bottom