Prep-ahead dinner rolls?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use https://www.bettycrocker.com/how-to...ll-dough/9291ef0b-0283-42ac-a037-c6368ae5c6a4 this, well actually the RICHER SWEET DOUGH down at the bottom, where you cut down on the milk, salt and flour, for my "Mom's buns" that are always requested at holiday meals. They also freeze pretty well so sometimes I'll make them and only partially bake some of them so we can have brown-n-serve rolls.

In the cookbook, it says when you are ready to shape to roll out the dough to about 12 deep by 18 long, spread softened butter all over, fold in half (12" part) and then cut into strips 1" wide and shape. I make knots and curls. If you want extra, extra buttery, you can brush some melted butter on top when they come out of the oven.

Making these with me was the first time the GD got to "cook." She had a ball beating up the dough when we were kneading and then helping me to shape them, not to mention eating them.

That is similar to the recipe we used for butter horns. The dough can be mixed up the night before and stored in the refrigerator after the first rise. When you are ready to make the rolls you can punch down and shape the cold dough, let it rise and then bake them off. My mother liked to make them for Sunday dinner because she could shape the cold dough, cover it with a tea towel, and by the time she got home from church they were ready to pop in the oven.

Last edited:
I make these rolls Salt and pepper posted some time ago. My family loves them and insists they have to have them for every holiday or the meal is ruined. I've made them ahead of time and reheated them. I've frozen and reheated them and they are still great.

Attachments

• UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4667.jpg
    UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_4667.jpg
    67.8 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
I make these rolls Salt and pepper posted some time ago. My family loves them and insists they have to have them for every holiday or the meal is ruined. I've made them ahead of time and reheated them. I've frozen and reheated them and they are still great.
Those look very much like the yeast rolls I make for holidays (I use my bread machine for mixing and the first rise). I've also reheated and frozen them and they are delicious no matter what :yum:

Get some local honey to go on top and you will be a hero [emoji38]

I tried to make rolls from Chef John's Ciabatta... what a disaster! It is so sticky as to be impossible to work with other than just throw the whole thing into the oven... only way.

I am looking for a drier dough, think I have found one but am not brave enough to try it as rolls.

Both recipes use a poolish and I am miserable at planning ahead.
You might want to try the no-knead method from "Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day." The result is very similar to ciabatta and the dough is easy to handle. You mix up enough for four loaves and can keep it in the fridge for up to two weeks. I've made it into free-form loaves, baguettes and rolls and they're all delicious.

https://artisanbreadinfive.com/2013...utes-a-day-is-launched-back-to-basics-updated

For reasons I truly can't define, I have a hesitation of making anything which requires yeast, rising, punching down, etc.. I have no idea what my problem is but, to me its like that feeling I get when I imagine walking into a dark forest..

Strange old man...

For reasons I truly can't define, I have a hesitation of making anything which requires yeast, rising, punching down, etc.. I have no idea what my problem is but, to me its like that feeling I get when I imagine walking into a dark forest..

Strange old man...

This is why we have bakeries.

Strange old man...
You think the yeast is going to reach out of the bowl, grab you and push you into the oven? ;)

Just thought about Costco bakery dinner rolls. Big bag for $4.99.
I forget how many are in the bag, but we always have plenty left.
Trick is to get them the very day they bake them. Go early and feel the bags to see.
Last time I got some they were still a tiny bit warm.

Good to hear GG. I have printed that recipe and it has been sitting on my kitchen table for probably 2 weeks now... I will get to them! Love being able to whack up something in a CIpan.

Edit:
Oops, this is in reference to GG's comment about freezing and reheating S&P's rolls in the CI.

Last edited:
Good to hear GG. I have printed that recipe and it has been sitting on my kitchen table for probably 2 weeks now... I will get to them! Love being able to whack up something in a CIpan.

Edit:
Oops, this is in reference to GG's comment about freezing and reheating S&P's rolls in the CI.

I've never made S&P's rolls. I said I've made a similar recipe; I haven't compared them but I think they're very much the same. It came with my bread machine recipe booklet.

...You mix up enough for four loaves and can keep it in the fridge for up to two weeks...
How big of a container do you need to use? I've thought of making this bread, but usually when it's "full house" in the fridge. By the time I make space I'm not sure if the space is big enough or not. I visualize the dough taking up a full shelf space on one side of the French door fridge. :ermm:

How big of a container do you need to use? I've thought of making this bread, but usually when it's "full house" in the fridge. By the time I make space I'm not sure if the space is big enough or not. I visualize the dough taking up a full shelf space on one side of the French door fridge. :ermm:
I use this 8-quart bucket I bought at a restaurant-supply store (pint of honey is there for scale). A 4-quart one would work; the recipe fills about half of this after it's risen.

You may remember that I have a second fridge in the sunroom, so I keep it in there.

Attachments

• 0414171411b_HDR.jpg
    0414171411b_HDR.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 142
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom