Recipes With Interesting Origins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Would anyone mind sharing their favorite Bread recipes (pumpernickle, whole wheat, etc)?

Since I've been active with DC, I've started keeping a recipe page when I make something, adding ingredients to the page after adding them to the food. At the end, I make notes on what worked and what didn't as well as anything else I might try the next time.

When I make the recipe again, I use the same page to note any changes and how they worked. I've "perfected" a few new favorites this way.

I, too, never got the concept of "secret" recipes. I try to share, but in fact I seldom cook strictly from a recipe, so am much better with, "come over for the afternoon and we'll do it together." I simply forget that I stood there with a pepper grinder for what seemed like eternity, don't remember what the oven temp was, etc. And then there are friends/relatives who wonder why theirs doesn't taste as good as mine. One is insane (to me). I make Italian salad dressing using the cruet you can get for free with the mix. But when I tell people, use balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, they will not pony up for the extra $$. Then they wonder why their doesn't taste like mine. Similar with other things I make. They try to shortcut and wonder why it isn't as good, then kinda get mad at me .... Not seriously mad, but tell me I shortchanged the recipe so there's wouldn't taste as good as mine. I just roll my eyes and move on!

This used to happen to my mum. People loved her really simple tuna salad and would ask for the recipe, which she would give them. Then they would use Miracle Whip instead of real mayonnaise and complain that the one they made didn't taste as good. :rolleyes: :LOL:

This used to happen to my mum. People loved her really simple tuna salad and would ask for the recipe, which she would give them. Then they would use Miracle Whip instead of real mayonnaise and complain that the one they made didn't taste as good. :rolleyes: :LOL:

More perfectly good recipes have been ruined because of the substitution of Miricle Whip in place of mayonaise.

Miricle Whip is for sandwiches. I think I will go to the Kraft site and see if they have recipes for MW. :huh:

My Mom would take a little of the syrup from a can of fruit, mix it with Miracle Whip for a tasty, tangy dressing for the fruit.

sad really. now that she's gone so are her recipes, and thereby one less way to remember what a wonderful person she really was.

That is one reason I share my recipes. The other (off the top of my head) is because I don't want to always have to make the same foods, someone else can do it and give me a break.:chef:

That is one reason I share my recipes. The other (off the top of my head) is because I don't want to always have to make the same foods, someone else can do it and give me a break.:chef:
One of my most treasured possessions is my grandma's "cookbook." On my bucket list is to try each recipe (not sure what "Hairdresser's" are--thinking maybe cookies) and scan the pages and give copies to my cousins and their kids. Reading the recipes triggers lots of memories. I can see her making "S" cookies...

CWS4322 said:
One of my most treasured possessions is my grandma's "cookbook." On my bucket list is to try each recipe (not sure what "Hairdresser's" are--thinking maybe cookies) and scan the pages and give copies to my cousins and their kids. Reading the recipes triggers lots of memories. I can see her making "S" cookies...

I consider my most valuable possession to be (besides my animals) is definitely my Grandmother's handwritten cookbooks. She had 3 of which I am very familiar with almost every recipe in them. I have photocopied them & now in the process of laminating each page to make cookbooks that will be safe to take the pages out and actually use. The originals are in my "fire bag" by the door. Just in case. Also all backed up on an external hard drive & on the computer. After living loved ones & pets, they are the next most important thing to me.

I like both Miracle Whip and Mayonnaise -- BUT, and this is a BIG BUT -- they are not interchangeable in recipes. Like you can't take distilled vinegar in a recipe when balsamic is called for, cannot use vegetable oil in place of extra virgin, and expect the same results.

Last edited:
So many of the recipes in and around Boston were given to us from the Native Americans. Sucatash. Corn and Lima beans. Cod fish cakes. The Natives taught the Pilgrims to use the cod for fertilizer as well as food. Corn bread. Corn gruel. They showed the Pilgrims where to find differend wild herbs. Wild onions were plentiful. The fish, clam and corn showders came from the cows that came over on the ships. Thus milk as the main ingredient. A recipe that the Pilgrims brought with them. Lobsters were plentiful and could be found on the beaches. They taught them how to find clams below the wet sand. Game was plentiful along with wild turkeys.

That first winter, many of the Pilgrims died. Many more would have died from starvation if it weren't for the Native Americans. :yum:

So many of the recipes in and around Boston were given to us from the Native Americans. Sucatash. Corn and Lima beans. Cod fish cakes. The Natives taught the Pilgrims to use the cod for fertilizer as well as food. Corn bread. Corn gruel. They showed the Pilgrims where to find differend wild herbs. Wild onions were plentiful. The fish, clam and corn showders came from the cows that came over on the ships. Thus milk as the main ingredient. A recipe that the Pilgrims brought with them. Lobsters were plentiful and could be found on the beaches. They taught them how to find clams below the wet sand. Game was plentiful along with wild turkeys.

That first winter, many of the Pilgrims died. Many more would have died from starvation if it weren't for the Native Americans. :yum:

No good deed goes unpunished! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

No good deed goes unpunished! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

How true. My tribe in Maine got the last laugh though. We sued the Federal Government and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts and won most of our land back. Plus a very large cash settlement. Now, every child born on the reservation has the funds to go to college and beyond completely free of charge. It is all paid for. And each adult member of the tribe receives a substantial check from the funds received every month. :)

I woke up early today and turned on the TV. There was a program on PBS about the Wampanoag Indian tribe here in Massachusetts. That is the tribe that helped the Pilgrims. A linguist in working with the tribe in writing down their language before it is lost. A lot of the tribe members are making a concerted effort to speak the language to the children. There was a part where a mother was cooking and the children were standing around. She was speaking the language telling the children what she was making the and the ingredients. The translation was interesting. There are no words for what she was using. Just a description. The showed the recipe written. It was so long. Yet the dish she was making was so simple. :chef:

Good Morning,

Portuguese regional cuisine is absolutely awesome. Unfortunately, Portugual had always been in the shadows of Spain, on the Iberian Peninsula, however, I have travelled to Portugual 4 times in the last two years for long wkends and we have had absolutely stunning fish, awesome shellfish, fab wines and Port, and gorgeous goat cheeses too ... as well as veggies as their climate is moist with sea ocean breezes giving this micro climate, perfect for agricultural thriving ... There is a wonderful array of up and coming Chefs ( José Avillez for example in Lisbon´s Barrio Chiado ) who had studied under Chef Ferrán Adriá in Las Rosas, Girona ( El Bullí ) and in France under Joel Rubachon and Michel Bras. Their culinary repertoire is quite amazing ...

Have a nice Sunday.
Margi.

@ Addie,

Sounds like a fascinating documentary ... Would have loved to watch it ... Many indigenious peoples are researching their roots, culinary history and linguistic heritage now. It is quite common in the Mediterranean too, especially in the Catalonia region of Spain, in Sardinia and Sicily and the Basque Country of France and Spain ...

I have a deep interest in the indigenious peoples of the Native America ( USA and Canada ), Perú, Mexico and South America too.

Thanks for lovely post.

Have nice Sunday.

Margi.

@ Aunt Bea: Fabulous post

Good Morning once again,

May I ask, where is Mount Pilot exactly ?

I truly enjoyed your post on the Native Americans ... I totally agree with you on the starvation factor of the Pilgrims --- if it wasn´t for the Native Americans ... they were wonderful farmers, cultivators, hunters and magicians when it came to when to plant, when to prune, when to gather etcetra ...

I have a great interest in the indigenious peoples of history, North and South American Tribes ... and have read many non fiction books on the subject ...

Thanks again for a good Sunday breakfast sheer reading pleasure.

Margi.

Back
Top Bottom