Recipes With Interesting Origins

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FluffyAngel

Senior Cook
I loved Chief Longwind of the North's recipe for the Potato rolls that I made positively the most delicious loaves of bread from. I am just beginning to scratch the surface with yeast and I love love LOVE recipes with a history. I really would like to learn different loaf bread recipes. Perhaps a sourdough, a whole wheat or pumpernickle bread (like the ones from Outback Steakhouse), or a Hawaiian bread recipe. I have a white loaf recipe that I know works because my friend does it well; however I do not. Mine is a little dry & doesn't rise well or falls like a cake. I can do that potato bread recipe very well and it turns out so good that it's all I want to make. I would like to be able to make other things & LOVE recipes with a history. I can also make decent cinnamon raisin rolls. Those type recipes welcome also. Anybody care to share?

Try Anadama bread. It is a yeast bread with cornmeal and molasses. The story goes that the wife of an old fisherman made it and he did not approve. He was supposed to have said Anna, damn her! Google for a recipe, it has many variations.

reuben's have an interesting story to them.

so does salt wster taffy. i've ben in atlantic city, nj and santa barbara, california and both claim to have invented it. at least both use the same story about being out of water so they used readily available sea water, hence the name.

I don't know that this is exactly what you had in mind, but it always makes my mouth water.

Langos (Hungarian Pizza)

"The name comes from láng, the Hungarian word for flame... Traditionally lángos was baked in the front of the brick oven, close to the flames. It was made from bread dough and was served as breakfast on the days when new bread was baked. Now that people no longer have brick ovens and do not bake bread at home, lángos is virtually always fried in oil."

Lángos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Langos : Traditional Hungarian Food

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N20g08QpiE&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Last edited:
I often think about the brave person who invented Pea & Ham soup.
Whats for dinner darling ?
Oh its Pea and H.................

A lot of New England recipes come directly from the Native Americans and the Pilgrims. Although our chowders come from Europe. :)

You seem to like to bake..so help me with this one.. Kolache..

My Aunt Tiny will not give up her secret recipe.. I've Begged, but she always sends me out to mow her lawn, says she will show me later, but when I get back, the dough is allready done! this brings huge howls of laughter from my Mother, and other Aunts..

I think the dough is essentially a yeast dough that is fortified with egg yolks ( like Italian Brioche), it has a sweet, strong flavor and has many uses from the pastry.. Kolaches.. to a Pig in a Blanket ... I had all of these as a child..I'm Czech/ German American which is common here ( Central Tx.)..

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

giggler said:

My Aunt Tiny will not give up her secret recipe.. I've Begged, but she always sends me out to mow her lawn, says she will show me later, but when I get back, the dough is allready done! this brings huge howls of laughter from my Mother, and other Aunts..

I think the dough is essentially a yeast dough that is fortified with egg yolks ( like Italian Brioche), it has a sweet, strong flavor and has many uses from the pastry.. Kolaches.. to a Pig in a Blanket ... I had all of these as a child..I'm Czech/ German American which is common here ( Central Tx.)..

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

Yes I do love to bake and I only wish I could help you out with this. I too love kolaches. I prefer mine either with cream cheese or fruit filling. I had an aunt who was german but she didn't do a lot of baking. She would go to Germany and bring back treats when I was a child that were just TDF, but the poor thing didn't like to cook much. Maybe someone else here might be able to help us out here. I'd be interested to try to make my own kolaches myself. I've thought about the versatility of the dough just never had a recipe. I like that its not overly sweet leaving many options open. If anyone has a recipe I'm interested in this also.

Cerise said:
I don't know that this is exactly what you had in mind, but it always makes my mouth water.

Langos (Hungarian Pizza)

"The name comes from láng, the Hungarian word for flame... Traditionally lángos was baked in the front of the brick oven, close to the flames. It was made from bread dough and was served as breakfast on the days when new bread was baked. Now that people no longer have brick ovens and do not bake bread at home, lángos is virtually always fried in oil."

Lángos - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Langos : Traditional Hungarian Food

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-N20g08QpiE&feature=endscreen&NR=1

Thank you for the suggestion. Yes I believe I will like this a lot. I will try this probably tomorrow.:)

Aunt Bea said:
Try Anadama bread. It is a yeast bread with cornmeal and molasses. The story goes that the wife of an old fisherman made it and he did not approve. He was supposed to have said Anna, damn her! Google for a recipe, it has many variations.

When I visit my friend I will be able to better Google recipes. Great story and you got my attention with molasses and cornmeal. Thanks.

Anyone hooked on the King's bread should research recipes called "Portuguese sweet bread" which is what it is. There were a lot of Portuguese settlers (fishermen) in Hawaii, "Portagee" in Hawaiian Pidgin.

My MIL made cookies from a dough that had a strong flavor, but it was more a pie dough, not yeast. The distinctive flavor came from the fact that about half the fat in a regular pastry type recipe was replaced with Philadelphia cream cheese. And yes, it was used for lots of things, not just the cookies. I think her family were Slovakian and Russian.

Claire said:
Anyone hooked on the King's bread should research recipes called "Portuguese sweet bread" which is what it is. There were a lot of Portuguese settlers (fishermen) in Hawaii, "Portagee" in Hawaiian Pidgin.

My MIL made cookies from a dough that had a strong flavor, but it was more a pie dough, not yeast. The distinctive flavor came from the fact that about half the fat in a regular pastry type recipe was replaced with Philadelphia cream cheese. And yes, it was used for lots of things, not just the cookies. I think her family were Slovakian and Russian.

Portuguese sweet bread huh? That's pretty interesting; I would have never guessed. I will be researching this soon.

Designation of Origin, History, Geography & Linguistics

Great topic ... I am always researching the designation of origin of a wine, or a food product, names and dishes ... historical data fascinates me ... Love the subject of designations, origins, roots, historical details, geography and linguistics ...

As all of you can see, I really am veered toward Mediterranean regional cuisines, Italia, Greece, Galician, Catalan, Basque, Spanish, Portuguese, Lebanese, Sashimi, Maine Lobster, Chicago and NYC meatballs and Chicago Pizza Bianca ... though I also have quite a penchant for Mexican, I just prefer enjoying it in a favorite Mexican Restaurant which opened in 1960 by a dear friend, author, restaurateur and retired chef, Ventura Rocha.

Enjoying this post. Every traditional dish has its´ anecdotes and origin ...

Margi.

Thanks, Eric Austin Tx.

I don't understand "secret" recipes. Don't folks realize that it is a compliment to be asked for their recipe? I once made some pumpkin cookies for a family party. One of the aunts asked me for the recipe. I got her email and sent it to her work the next day. She worked in the office with my daughter. They next office party she made them. They were a hit. Everyone was asking for the recipe. "Oh no. It has been in the family for years." My daughter heard her and called me. I immediately sent the recipe to my daughter. She printed it out and passed it around. Aunty was furious. Hasn't talked to my daughtr to this day. No loss there. :ohmy:

I, too, never got the concept of "secret" recipes. I try to share, but in fact I seldom cook strictly from a recipe, so am much better with, "come over for the afternoon and we'll do it together." I simply forget that I stood there with a pepper grinder for what seemed like eternity, don't remember what the oven temp was, etc. And then there are friends/relatives who wonder why theirs doesn't taste as good as mine. One is insane (to me). I make Italian salad dressing using the cruet you can get for free with the mix. But when I tell people, use balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil, they will not pony up for the extra $$. Then they wonder why their doesn't taste like mine. Similar with other things I make. They try to shortcut and wonder why it isn't as good, then kinda get mad at me .... Not seriously mad, but tell me I shortchanged the recipe so there's wouldn't taste as good as mine. I just roll my eyes and move on!

You are so right Claire. When I make something that is off the top of my head, I don't remember exactly what I did. Like the Alfredo I made with the spinach. I would have to hunt in here for what I did. And if I tried to make it the same way again without looking it up, it would be entirely different. If I can remember it off the top of my head, I will gladly share it with you. I want you to have a happy meal. I want people to look up to you as a great cook. Three years ago I bought a restaurant size jar of nutmeg nuts. I had some empty apothecary jars. Too many nuts for me to use up in a lifetime. So I took one jar and filled it with about six or seven nuts. I gave it to my girlfriend in Atlanta. So now when she has company she searches for recipes where she can pull out a nut and her plane, and evey one is impressed with her culinary skills. A very simple present yet it impresses everyone who knows her. She has already gone through two nuts. And I have more when she needs them. :chef:

How about Kalua Pork? The recipe can vary but the technique is very unique. Cooked in an imu, an underground oven, rubbed with seasoning, stuffed with hot rocks, burried and left until done.

all of my mil's recipes were secrets. dw never really showed interest in cooking when she was young, but when i asked her mom to show me how to make some of her slovakian or polish specialties, she just avoided the subject or somehow never got around to teaching either of us.

i think she felt that the best thing that she could offer anyone was her food, so it was that which made her special. if we could match it or maybe do some dishes better, then she would have nothing from her heart to offer or make her stand out.

sad really. now that she's gone so are her recipes, and thereby one less way to remember what a wonderful person she really was.

Last edited:
all of my mil's recipes were secrets. dw never really showed interest in cooking when she was young, but when i asked her mom to show me how to make some of her slovakian or polish specialties, she just avoided the subject or somehow never got around to teaching either of us.

i think she felt that the best thing that she could offer anyone was her food, so it was that which made her special. if we could match it or maybe do some dishes better, then she would have nothing from her heart to offer or make her stand out.

sad really. now that she's gone so are her recipes, and thereby one less way to remember what a wonderful person she really was.

My Czech Grandmother was the same, she just never got around to teaching cooking, but she was more than happy to show me the joys of soap making.

Back
Top Bottom