Rye Bread Caroway Seed Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

larry_stewart

Master Chef
Im making Rye bread today.
I made this recipe a few months ago, and it came out great.
Instead of whole caraway seeds I ground them up in my spice grinder.

My question is, before. grind up my caraway seeds, should I toast them in a dry pan first? or does it not make a difference.

I dont remember what I did last time, but whatever I did worked out perfect. The recipe calls for whole seeds, and my wife doesn't like biting into a whole seed ( Flavor is too intense for her that way)

I think most, if not all, whole seeds and nuts are enhanced by toasting - it brings out their flavorful oils. So I would toast them first.

I would roast a very small amount and then sample the "raw" ones compared to the roasted ones. Then decide what seems most like what you remember.

I do on the printed version ( and now every time I like a recipe I print it out, cause Ive saved a bunch of recipes whose website dont exist anymore), But on occasion I forget ( or think Ill remember for the next time, which I dont) .

I love caraway, and when I was very young, I found out what they really were, when somebody accidentally got a "seedless rye". "How could that be rye bread?" I asked.

I have never toasted them, but I'm sure they would be good, either way. Maybe make one loaf with toasted and one with untoasted, and compare them.

Now I just got to write it down, or remember this thread for next time ;)

we have cable internet&tv - cable modem feeds a router for the LAN, the router has a usb port, onto which I hung a hard drive.
got a tablet for the kitchen - no keyboard - virtual/on-screen keyboard.

I can access all the recipes, and my shopping list, etc from any number of machines - but the main point is I can make notes on the "source" electronic recipe file 'in real time'
I'm absolutely lovin' it.

as an extra bonus - it's easy to carry the tablet, with shopping list app, through the pantry/cabinets/failing memory brain banks.

okay, , , it takes a little "setting up" to make all the magic work - but when it does, it's a joy to yer' stylus.

Back
Top Bottom