What's a New England Hot Dog?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LPBeier

Certified Cake Maniac
Moderator Emeritus
I know a lot about cakes and pastries but very little about bread. I am trying to change that and make more bread items for my family from scratch.

I was looking at my supplier's new products and one is a hot dog pan which is described as allowing you to "[FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Verdana,Tahoma,Arial,sans-serif][SIZE=-1]Make New England-style hot dogs with this non-stick hot dog bun pan".

Are these buns bigger (or smaller) than regular ones? I could Google it but it is more fun to ask my friends! :)
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT]

The buns load from the top.

Now, I'm going to show my age by asking; Do you remember "Wiener Wagons?" New England-style buns are almost like those, only with the rounded ends cut off.

They make adding relish and other condiments easier by not soaking and breaking a regular bun in half.

I think Hostess makes them.

Last edited:
The crust is on the top and the sides are white, which is great for toasting!

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 525
The buns load from the top.

Now, I'm going to show my age by asking; Do you remember "Wiener Wagons?" New England-style buns are almost like those, only with the rounded ends cut off.

They make adding relish and other condiments easier by not soaking and breaking a regular bun in half.

I think Hostess makes them.

I was wondering if that was it. All our hotdog buns are like that, here in Quebec. I admit they have advantages, but they just plain look wrong. :LOL:

Thanks, Selkie and Andy! And Taxlady, I agree with you they look funny, but I haven't seen any on the west coast. Maybe I will buy the pan and start a new trend! :chef:

Thanks, Selkie and Andy! And Taxlady, I agree with you they look funny, but I haven't seen any on the west coast. Maybe I will buy the pan and start a new trend! :chef:

So, you're going to become a "Trend Setter!" Good Luck To You! :chef:

And you'll need to show us a photo of your pan when you get it.

Sort of like a chicago dog bun only chicago buns have poppy seeds on top? I like top loading buns!!

Sort of like a chicago dog bun only chicago buns have poppy seeds on top? I like top loading buns!!

MsM, If yours was the first answer to my question I would be asking...."so what is a Chicago Bun!" :LOL::LOL: I love poppy seeds!

Hmm, this is really getting my curiosity up! The pan is $35 and shipping though so these would have to be pretty awesome hot dog buns! ;)

Well, Barbara, when I get my pan you and James will just have to come for a hot dog dinner.....when you are in the neighbourhood that is....:LOL:

The crust is on the top and the sides are white, which is great for toasting!

Yep, that's them. Howard Johnson's used to serve that style of bun with their hot dogs... back when we had a few HoJo's around here. Come to think of it, they served Boston baked beans, too... I wonder if HoJo's originated in NE :huh:

Thanks Barbara! I know I would have Googled it when I was done here, too. lol

Quincy is where my great-grandfather is from...and where his mysterious past was left before he came to Canada! Wow, my education is coming full circle today! :)

He may have even invented the New England bun!

:ROFLMAO:

He may have even invented the New England bun!

:ROFLMAO:

My research shows he left home at 15 and we believe never went back. He wanted to own an orange orchard in Florida but I have not been able to find out what really happened in the three years before he arrived in Ottawa and joined the North West Mounted Police! But his brother, who my Dad and Grandfather never even knew existed, could have invented it! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom